Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Did Eminan sample Mike Oldfield?, "Music from the Balcony" vs "My Ballz"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 02 2022, 03:07

I am probably the only person enough of a former fan of Eminem and his badn D12 and also fan of Mike Oldfield to recognize a prominent bassline in "Music from the Balcony" that turns up as the main riff in the 2005 D12 (Eminems band) song "My Ballz".  The part starts at 9:28 in "Music from the Balcony" and continues for a while.  IF you listen to that and then to "My Ballz" its extremely obvious that the latter is little more than a remake with vocals of that section of Music from the Balcony. In fact, with the throbbing bass and the jazzz trumpet, Music from the Balcony almost at times sounds like proto "G-Funk" which is where D12 kind of came out of as well as "gangsta rap".

ED the title should obviously read "Eminem" not "Eminan" but strangely it cant be edited or the post deleted.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 06 2022, 04:30

I have not heard the song but according to whosampled.com there is a sample of Peter Gunn Theme by Henry Mancini.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: June 06 2022, 09:46

I've not heard the Eminem song either (and I don't particularly want to google "my ballz" in order to find it either!;) but from what qjamesfloyd is saying, it sounds likely Peter Gunn is the song you mean. The bit in Music From The Balcony you are talking about sounds very much like a Peter Gunn rip-off... erm... tribute, sorry!
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 10 2022, 02:22

Quote (shenry @ June 06 2022, 09:46)
I've not heard the Eminem song either (and I don't particularly want to google "my ballz" in order to find it either!;) but from what qjamesfloyd is saying, it sounds likely Peter Gunn is the song you mean. The bit in Music From The Balcony you are talking about sounds very much like a Peter Gunn rip-off... erm... tribute, sorry!

I already checked with Who Sample.com and made a submission regarding this but they rejected it, lol.  The Peter Gunn bass riff has the same rhythm but a distinctly different sequence of notes, ie a different tune, whereas with "Music from the Balcony" and "My Ballz", the tune is pretty much identical.  As well as the fact that the instruments sound identical, almost as if it's a direct sample. Whereas the instrument tone on Peter Gunn is very different.

Here's the song, I'm sure you'll agree that "My Ballz" sounds very much like it's been sampled straight from Music from the Balcony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOyGTcWPSb0
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 10 2022, 03:15

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 06 2022, 04:30)
I have not heard the song but according to whosampled.com there is a sample of Peter Gunn Theme by Henry Mancini.

Adding to the case to be made is that Snoop Dogg sampled "Celtic Rain" by Mike Oldfield in his 2008 song "Why Did You Leave Me".  So, the works of Mike Oldfield were known in the US rap/hip hop community. The Why Did You Leave Me/Celtic Rain sample is more well known because its much more obvious and its the main theme of Celtic Rain, whereas since Music of the Balcony is one of Oldfiekld's longform pieces with all kinds of musical ideas, it's much easier to lift a segment of it without anyone noticing.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 10 2022, 04:18

I will have a listen to the track when I get home. Also, Mike has been sampled by Kanye West and Janet Jackson.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 18 2022, 22:17

FWIW I think they are both ripping off the Henry Mancini theme for Peter Gunn, which many people would recognise as a cop/ private eye sort of theme even if they don't know where it came from.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 18 2022, 23:52

Quote (Thea Cochrane @ June 18 2022, 22:17)
FWIW I think they are both ripping off the Henry Mancini theme for Peter Gunn, which many people would recognise as a cop/ private eye sort of theme even if they don't know where it came from.

Its possible that Mike Oldfield (in 1989) was inspired by the rhythm and basic idea of the Peter Gunn riff but it seems obvious to me that D12 (in 2005) had heard Music from the Balcony too, especially when you consider that hiphop artists were sampling Mike Oldfield left and right in those days.  (well, 3 or 4 other occasions anyway by my count).

Music from the Balcony, the part starts at 9:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oVTTOjfPdM

My Ballz, the riff goes right throughout the track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oVTTOjfPdM
Profile PM 
7 replies since June 02 2022, 03:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net