[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Details of the new Tubular Bells releases< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 15 2009, 19:07

Quote (Nacho @ April 15 2009, 23:03)
I wonder if the cover art will also be "remastered"!!

Good someone reminded me! Yes, it will. No big changes, it'll still be the same basic album artwork that we're all familiar with (at least as far as the cover goes) but I'm told it'll be cleaned up and looking as good as it possibly can.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 15 2009, 19:13

@ Korgscrew: if there really are only 500 copies of the Ultimate Edition, have you any idea if mikeoldfield.com will allow people to make (online) reservations of it? I'm suspecting the very same thing as Blue Dolphin above, i.e. that the amount of people who'll want it will be very higher than the amount of copies. However, as we say in Italian: Chi vivrà, vedrà - i.e. "Whoever will live, they will see". ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 20:07

What a perfect 28th birthday gift this ultimate edition of TB for meeee...hope to get one of those  :cool:

About the bells around the world on June 6th,I'll find a bell to play here \o/

Back to Black version...180g vinyl...ab fab too(I do have Supertramp's Breakfast in America from this same series and it does sound great)

Korgie,is there any further info about Mike's appearences to promote the re-released of TB,boosted versions?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Unregistered

Posted: April 16 2009, 02:33

Well...as I suspected...almost just another Tubular Bells repack...throw in some mixes, plectres, pictures etc etc and there you go.

One have to be a very fanatic fan to just blindly swallow this without seeing what it is...an attempt from Universal to milk the cow..

Where is the rare tracks? (only hits from 1973 to 1983 - what the hell?)
Where are the special videos that people seek (like Wembley 83, TB 10th anniversary concert)

I think I´ll pass on this one.. I might download it from bittorrent just to have the satisfaction to delete it to the bin..

Sorry Mike Oldfield, you wont see my creditcard flashing for this release..   ;)
TEP Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 03:25

6th of June at 6 - as in 6 6 6 ??
An Exorcist reference, I suspect. (666 is a common reference to the Devil.)
However - Is that really a smart way to promote TB?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 04:19

Oh my God!I want it i want it i want it.Calm down now Daniel!No i won't!
Sorry.This looks so cool.NNow how can i raise the neccesary capital...........AHA my shares from work are due very soon and i think i've found how to blow the bloody lot!!!!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 04:49

[quote=prisoner.of.the.dark.sky,April 16 2009, 07:33][/quote]
I think I´ll pass on this one.. I might download it from bittorrent just to have the satisfaction to delete it to the bin..

:laugh: They don`t call it the "recycle" bin for nothing.

I was really hoping they were`nt gonna` do some sort of double disc limited addition affair with this.And lo and behold that`s exactly what they have done.Fair enough if that`s what some people want,(as so it would seem here).Then who am I to grumble?At least you folks can take solace in the knowledge that it`s one less name on the waiting list to worry about.

As for the release proper itself.It`s quite a good idea in theory to double up Tubular Bells with a selection of Mike highlights as a way of attracting new fans.That said someone who may take an initial shine to Tubular Bells in all it`s wonderous mesmeric glory.May not be quite as thrilled by a selection of sea shantys,mid 80`s MOR,and the theme tune from The Lone Ranger.

So ok I`m sure we`ve all been there ourselves in the past trying to introduce friends to Mike Oldfield by making up some kind of mix-tape or something.In my experience it`s pretty darn impossible really without resorting to just lending people the albums and be done with.In my experience I`ve tended to avoid most of the tracks that appear on the bonus disc here.I`m not saying I don`t like them or anything,I just don`t think they are a good indicator of what Mike Oldfield is all about.And quite frankly I think it`s the familiarity some people have with some of the bonus tracks that probably put off  people listening to Mike Oldfield in the first place.And for those people who maybe are`nt familiar with them,who are listening to Tubular Bells for the first time in their lives.You know what are those guys gonna` be thinking?..."Oh wow he like recorded this amazing rock symphonic masterpiece,with so many moods and variations.And then he turned into a cross between Chris De Burgh and Captain Pugwash..It`s no wonder all you ever hear about this guy is Tubular Bells".

Anyway hopefully all the corresponding hoo-ha and media publicity will maybe bring Mike some new fans here and there.And then when they log in on here we can all tell them how much better the original mix is.        :p
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 06:10

This sounds (fairly) exciting, but mainly for the 'Ultimate Edition' with all the collectable goodies. (Yeah, I'm a sucker for MO related bits 'n' bobs :D )

As others have pointed out though, the concern would be that there's too many of us all clamouring for it and so some folks are going to end up disappointed. I got lucky with the MoTS signed copy from Play, but even if I hadn't the 'bonus' was only MO's signature - not a completely different set of contents. I think I'd feel very disappointed indeed if I missed out on all the extra stuff with this set.

I wonder if there's going to be some special selection procedure to 'prove' that you're an UBERFAN and so deserve a copy of the special box set?  :p

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 06:57

I`ve gotta` say the more I look at the tracklist from this "bonus introductory" cd,the more I can`t help thinking Universal have dropped the ball here.Surely if Tubular Bells is to be the first re-issue in a chronological re-release of Mike`s back catalogue up to 83/84.Then why did they just not put a little extract on there from each forthcoming release?Hergest Ridge,Ommadawn,Incantations Part 1 & 3 maybe??Platinum,Taurus 1 & 2.And then culminating in the whole drum finale from Crisis or something?

Of course the extracts are wholly frustrating to listen to it has to be said.But then that`s kind of the entire point is`nt it.They make you want to go out and hear the rest of it.Fair enough I can see what they have tried to do in offering a varied cross section of Mike`s early back catalogue.But imo they have gone about it the whole wrong way from the offset.Until what you`re left with is some kind of ramshackle composite of compilations such as Elements or Complete etc.Great if you`re trying to sell more copies of those two albums.But not so great as an "introduction to Mike Oldfield"..Plus there`s stuff on there that would have been better suited to a kind of rarities/leftovers release..William Tell,Portsmouth,Blue Peter,The long version of Guilty for crying out loud!!!Yeah about 2 minutes too long in all reality,which then also somehow manages to miss out the best part of the short version.

I was on a football forum recently where someone begged the question.."What in heavens name is that God awful music that Portsmouth football club run out to"?...Or words to that effect you might say.Well ok it may well be true to an extent that people of that opinion are never going to be big future fans of Mike Oldfield.But imo the more I see "compilations" such as this one appearing.The less likely people stand a chance of being "educated".
Profile PM 

Posted: April 16 2009, 07:38

I do hope that the other albums would be released in such a special way like Tubular Bells...ok,TB is the album that put MO in the musical map,but the rest of back catalogue is also so interesting...Ommadawn,Incantations,Five Miles Out,Crises...better stop here in terms of thinking what would be like the re-release of Amarok!

I'm curious to hear the new stereo/5.1 mixes Mike has done this year,especially because of the fact they were done after TB 2003,where Mike did pay so much attention to the details of the original recording,the parts where the original '73 mix didn't work for his ears...and that would have helped him on this (at least for me) difficult task to create them.

Gosh,they skipped the audio(maybe the footage too) of the TB Premiere at Queen Elizabeth Hall...we do need a proper official release,that was one of the things I thought it was missing on this ultimate edition. The Second House performance you can find on Elements!

Quote (TEP @ April 16 2009, 04:25)
6th of June at 6 - as in 6 6 6 ??
An Exorcist reference, I suspect. (666 is a common reference to the Devil.)
However - Is that really a smart way to promote TB?

I'm sure that it was chosen for that reason...as scary as celebrating your 25th birthday on 06/06/06(which had bothered me then)  :laugh:

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ April 15 2009, 18:25)
Hmmmmm, where are the never-before-on-cd tracks??!!  :/ I like the Mike Oldfield's Single on cd though!

As well as Froggy-Went-A-Courting,is also missing here!

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ April 15 2009, 18:25)

Why not the vinyl release of the remix?? We already have millions vinyls of the original mix all over the world. Mike's recent releases never saw the light on vinyl, unfortunately. Music of the Spheres was an album which really would do good on vinyl!!

The idea behind Back to Black is to re-release albums on vinyl,but on their original mixes,original cover,original booklets...and I do think the new remix Mike has done previously this year would be great to hear on vinyl...nowadays there's demand regarding releasing new and old albums back on vinyl,it's so "hip,cool and sexy"  :cool:

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 15 2009, 15:32)
Universal press release

TUBULAR BELLS THE ULTIMATE EDITION

BONUS CD

TUBULAR BELLS (1971 demos)
TUBULAR BELLS (Scrapped first mix Spring 1973)

On TB 2003 DVD-Audio the 1971 demos saw finally the light of the day,in its roughly state,the way Mike recorded back then. I'm guessing here if this re-release will have sound improvements on the original demo sound or not...

Is there any further info about this scrapped first mix?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
WeeJee Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 09:19

Hmm... I would be interested to get a higher quality mix of the original 1973 TB version. I once had the original mix, but I sold it and bought Tubular Bells 2003. It's all good and all, but I soon discovered that the original mix just has that something... I don't know... that the 2003 mix lacks.

So anyway, 1973 TB new stereo mix for me, thanks. And I've never even heard Mike Oldfield's Single before. Give immediately :)

Oh, and about the 06/06 6pm thing... if it really is an Exorcist reference I find it rather odd. I was under the impression that genius man Old Mikefield isn't exactly fond of the Exorcist connection. And is it justified for music of such creative (and, to me, spiritually satisfying) magnitude to be associated with evilness, destruction, and a general demonic disturbance in the Force? ;)
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: April 16 2009, 09:27

Quote (WeeJee @ April 16 2009, 10:19)
Oh, and about the 06/06 6pm thing... if it really is an Exorcist reference I find it rather odd. I was under the impression that genius man Old Mikefield isn't exactly fond of the Exorcist connection. And is it justified for music of such creative (and, to me, spiritually satisfying) magnitude to be associated with evilness, destruction, and a general demonic disturbance in the Force? ;)

AFAIR, Mike isn't found of the connection TB - The Exorcist,since the music doesn't sound demoniacal at all...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Opus 1 Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 10:12

YAHOO!!!!!!! I can't wait!!! This for me is absolutely amazing, because being a 16 year old i missed out at the time, but the idea of the ultimate edition!! Well it's amazing! Oh i so dearly hope i'm one of the 500...however knowing my luck i wont be! Oh my god this is brilliant! WOW

--------------
The mark of a skilled musician is to be able to play one note and mean it, not play zillions of notes and not mean it.

(www.myspace.com/markmonaghan)
Profile PM WEB 
Opus 1 Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 10:42

Oh dear...maybe i should have calmed down before writing that ^ ah well....I'd still kill for the ultimate edition ^^

--------------
The mark of a skilled musician is to be able to play one note and mean it, not play zillions of notes and not mean it.

(www.myspace.com/markmonaghan)
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 11:43

I can't say I care for 666. Does anyone remember why?
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ironmike Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 11:53

.....And me who though that the first "tubular summer" post was another April's Fool joke.... Cool thing it isn't and it would be even cooler if Mike throws in a new single in these releases, besides the old SINGLE.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 12:52

Hey Opus 1 don't worry about it man.I'm 34 ferchrisakes and my post when i heard the news makes me sound like a 5 year old kid at xmas. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 14:02

Just goes to show you cant please everyone all the time. For those of you who are not happy with the content noone is forcing you to buy it! Personally I think that it is worth buying just for the digital copy of Mike Oldfield's Single alone. I'll be going for the Ultimate set, & if Im not lucky enough to get 1 I will go for the 2CD set, the 2Cd & DVD set & the vinyl (to go with my other 10 or 12 vinyl copies of various versions & various labels). I think this is great news for fans & any release of Mikes should be greeted with excitement, not moans about what could have been on it. Enjoy it for what it is, not what it might have been!!! :)

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 16 2009, 14:53

Some more bits of info...

I got a bit more clarification on the issue of a single disc edition with no extras (I have to admit I'd had a long day yesterday and got a bit fuzzy over the details myself...): there will be one eventually, but not at the moment. When it comes, it will be with the new remix rather than the old one, but the original mix will continue to be available in the deluxe edition. I haven't been given any details on pricing, but knowing what the situation is with other Universal deluxe editions, the deluxe edition will probably be priced to make it a reasonable alternative to buying a single CD, which may make this slightly less of a Hergest Ridge all over again than it might seem. Still, rather a controversial decision...

I've asked about Hergest Ridge and said that there's a great demand for the original mix. No direct answer on that, but they're working on similar releases for Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn (my guess being they may not go as far as ultimate and vinyl editions of those, but we'll see...). I'll continue to pester about that and also try to make sure that the currently available mixes (the Boxed and original mixes respectively) of those two albums continue to be available too, but obviously all that any of us can do is strongly suggest these things.

There may be some unheard demo material amongst those 1971 demos. Mike made two different demos of Tubular Bells and my suspicion was that the one on the Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A was the later of the two, though that was a slightly wild guess (partly based on the fact that the hoover wasn't there...). I wouldn't suggest getting your hopes up too highly, but in my conversation on the phone in March, I got the impression that what's on the ultimate edition may include some more demos. That was just an impression rather than something I was told outright (the words were along the lines of that 'some of them have been released before'; I mentioned how I thought that more demos had been made and it would be very interesting if they could find those, the reply to which was just a slightly evasive 'yes'! ).

I think the scrapped 1973 mix is mentioned somewhere in the Making of Tubular Bells book. I think they made several attempts at mixing the album, that one presumably being the only one which was a complete pass (or at least the only one which made it into the archive). It's interesting that they even kept this one. That's really all I know about it, though.

I do agree about things like the QEH premiere - it would have been nice to have included that (it was another of the things which went on my long list...). There might be reasons they didn't include it though - it may not be easy to find a good quality tape of it and as the recording probably wasn't made by Virgin, there may be licencing issues (which shouldn't be too hard to overcome, but from a business point of view, I can see why they might want to stick to making this release from ex-Virgin material only - that's something which unfortunately applies to a lot of rare recordings). There's still hope for things like that in the future though...

I still don't have any information on how copies of the ultimate edition can be reserved, only that it'll all be done through the updated mikeoldfield.com. I think that'll be the only outlet for it. There may be some other interesting things available from there too, if you know what I mean :)
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 15:27

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 16 2009, 19:53)
I do agree about things like the QEH premiere - it would have been nice to have included that (it was another of the things which went on my long list...). There might be reasons they didn't include it though -

The main one being that an inebriated Viv Stanshall stumbled into the recorder and ruined the recording.
Profile PM 
235 replies since April 15 2009, 14:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net