Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Details of the new Tubular Bells releases< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tubular_trekkie Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 21 2009, 06:31

I suppose it's nice to have some new activity vis-a-vis mikeoldfield.com, but the new site doesn't look all that inspiring to me.
Whilst I realise it's still under construction, it looks a bit basic somehow. Not all that stylish and that weird repeated bell background pattern looks like chain mail!  :/

Perhaps it'll improve once they load some more content on it.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Osiris Offline

Posted: April 21 2009, 06:32

It seems that there is no link on this site for the moment to buy or reserve the Ultimate Edition...  Will surely be updated soon (i hope)...   :/
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 21 2009, 06:40

Quote (SimonUK @ April 21 2009, 11:22)
It says on site "Click here to register your interest and we'll send you everything you need to make your order as soon as they are available" but there is no link to click on. Anyone else found a link? :/

Can't see a link but I imagine it is intended to be a link to the "sign up to register interest" page which you can get to from the big "Sign up" text top right. I've done it!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 21 2009, 06:46

What the hell with that random song on Track Player? :zzz:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Osiris Offline

Posted: April 21 2009, 06:55

interesting:  click on homepage at bottom right Sitemap, then XML sitemap.  and read and type in your browser the site adress of the fourth entry from the bottom of the list.  ^^ no real informations at this place but when you see its name it gives some hope...  ;)
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 21 2009, 07:06

Quote (Osiris @ April 21 2009, 12:55)
interesting:  click on homepage at bottom right Sitemap, then XML sitemap.  and read and type in your browser the site adress of the fourth entry from the bottom of the list.  ^^ no real informations at this place but when you see its name it gives some hope...  ;)

coooool.....  :cool:

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Gunz412 Offline

Posted: April 21 2009, 07:28

Mercury/Universal will be promoting the release with a special event on June 6th at 6pm, where bells will be rung in locations throughout the world, footage of which will then be available on mikeoldfield.com[I]

Now it is just getting silly!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 21 2009, 07:43

Quote (Osiris @ April 21 2009, 11:55)

Very cool! Wonder if it will involve MO himself?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 21 2009, 07:48

Life is too Tubular for the new revamped MO.com - not much of my taste,but let's see what will be next there.

Gosh,a link to Wikipedia has made me laugh really(to find more about Mike)  :laugh:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: April 21 2009, 07:57

Quote (Osiris @ April 21 2009, 06:55)

How on earth did you find that. We should really be getting back to work right!

I wonder if this just refers to the bell ringing events. I wouldn't worry, we'll find out soon enough.

I wouldn't worry about the ultimate editions running out either. You'd have to be a very serious collector to spend that much money ( if the deluxe set is £49.99 then the ultimate is bound to be in excess of £80 I reckon). Are there really 500 of us with heads up on this? I don't think so.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 21 2009, 08:12

I suspect the site is produced from a generic artist site template, the live page just being an unused part of that. We did ask specifically about concerts after there had been some rumours going around about them and we were told that they knew of no plans. Either they were just covering something up, or that page isn't going to get used...

Anyway, I've put up a new topic/news item about it, which might be a better place for the discussion to continue!

I believe the £49.99 price on Amazon was for the ultimate edition, by the way...whether they're going to have any for sale or whether it's just a speculative listing (there have been cases in the past where they've just posted stuff from here...), I don't know.
Profile PM 
Olly Offline

Posted: April 21 2009, 09:58

Hi,

I have been a lurker for a while.I didn’t remember my password and my old emailaddress is not valid anymore.So I needed to create a new account.  :/
This Ultimate Edition sounds good for me. I would like to get it also and 60£ is a reasonable price.If I can’t get it I will buy both 2cd/1dvd version and  vinyl version.But of course it would be cool to get UE box with Mike’s signature…

Olli
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 21 2009, 12:53

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 21 2009, 13:12)
I suspect the site is produced from a generic artist site template, the live page just being an unused part of that.

I'd assume the live page is about the bell ringing activities in June.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 21 2009, 23:01

Last Saturday I saw U2's special box for their new album to sale here,and the package looked soo cool...hope that for Mike's,it would be as cool as U2's.

Korgie,when are we going to see pictures of the different physical versions of the TB re-release? Too curious!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 22 2009, 03:58

Quote (Gunz412 @ April 21 2009, 07:28)
Mercury/Universal will be promoting the release with a special event on June 6th at 6pm, where bells will be rung in locations throughout the world, footage of which will then be available on mikeoldfield.com[I]

:laugh:

Yes very silly and that's got to be good - ringing bells and '666' means Mike is back - in playful and creative mode.

I bet he's creating as I speak - up early (or late) and making music!

--------------
Profile PM 
GodGift Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 22 2009, 05:58

Quote (Osiris @ April 21 2009, 06:55)

Hmmm... This link may be as well a part of template which website is based on... :/ I wouldn't expect anything like that to be honest. But maybe... :D

--------------
What a lovely day!
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 22 2009, 08:56

yes, the bells, got anything else? think i'll by some new music

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 04:47

Quote (wiga @ April 22 2009, 08:58)
Quote (Gunz412 @ April 21 2009, 07:28)

:laugh:

Yes very silly and that's got to be good - ringing bells and '666' means Mike is back - in playful and creative mode.

I bet he's creating as I speak - up early (or late) and making music!

And there was me thinking that the height of silliness had already been reached with the whole "free plectrums" thing.Surely Mike Oldfield giving away guitar picks is a little bit like getting a free pair of pants in the deluxe edition of Basic Instinct???
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 06:43

Quote (Dirk Star @ April 23 2009, 04:47)
And there was me thinking that the height of silliness had already been reached with the whole "free plectrums" thing.Surely Mike Oldfield giving away guitar picks is a little bit like getting a free pair of pants in the deluxe edition of Basic Instinct???

Got me thinking this could catch on - and I've got to say I'm one of those people who likes a novelty gift. Free plectrums is kind of cool, and Mike's thumb nail - even better!

I mean if they were offering Toot sweets with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang -  I'd buy.

Edit to add: maybe the thumb nail could be like getting the 'golden ticket' into Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. The  reward for getting the nail could be a week in Mike's home and studio (in the Bahamas).

--------------
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 07:07

I found out about the bell ringing event a few weeks back on Dark Star homepage.  I'm glad Tubular Bells is being re-awakened as I think it is a timeless piece of music that more people are starting to like.  However I don't have plans to buy the new album, as I don't feel the need to , like I did not feel the need to buy 'Music of The Spheres'.  To me there is only one piece of music that will have a lasting affect on me, as much as it did when I was a young child, and that is the original 'Tubular Bells.'

The only thing is, I think the 'Bellringing' i'm in two minds about.  What is the objective of it.  If this Bellringing is being done then one would need to do another 'big' event after it otherwise it is going to look strange and strange to the public.

If I was a member of the public and random bells started ringing in the middle of London, I'd ask questions as to why, and some members of the public might be annoyed yet others would think 'what is the over all point, what is the point being made here?'  However if it was for dramatic effect for a concert or show, one could understand.

So if I could ask Mr Oldfield one thing it would be, 'What is the over all objective you are trying to prove here?'  And if the Bellringing is an 'awakening' ceremony for Tubular Bells, then you follow it on with another event that can be memorable to people.  Basically stand and deliver and get on stage with your guitar again.
Profile PM 
235 replies since April 15 2009, 14:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net