Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Details of the new Tubular Bells releases< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 15 2009, 14:32

Universal has released details of the new versions of Tubular Bells due for release on June 8th on the Mercury label.

It will be available in four different physical versions and two different digital download versions, including:

A 2 CD compilation, with a new stereo remix of Tubular Bells, plus a hits collection, aimed at introducing new listeners to Mike's music.

A deluxe edition, with 2 CDs and a DVD, featuring the stereo remix, the original mix, a new 5.1 remix and video of the BBC Second House performance of Tubular Bells Part One.

A vinyl release of the original mix.

An ultimate edition, including the new stereo remix, Mike Oldfield's Single, the original mix, the vinyl edition, the 5.1 remix, a 5.1 remix of Mike Oldfield's Single, the video of the Second House performance, the 1971 demos and a never heard before scrapped first mix of Tubular Bells from Spring 1973.
If that wasn't already enough, the ultimate edition will also include a 60 page hardback book, plectrums, a poster, a facsimile of the Manor Studios brochure, a facsimile concert ticket, a postcard and recording information.
This will be a limited edition of 500, each one signed and numbered by Mike Oldfield, available from mikeoldfield.com, which is due to be relaunched next week.

Mercury/Universal will be promoting the release with a special event on June 6th at 6pm, where bells will be rung in locations throughout the world, footage of which will then be available on mikeoldfield.com

The complete press release with all the details can be read on the forum.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 14:32

Universal press release

Tubular Bells
Release date: 8th June 2009

Mike Oldfield is an artist like no other. Over the last 37 years he has produced timeless, unique and inspirational music that has enthralled listeners the world over.   Fans old and new can celebrate the great man’s work with a special release of his classic, multiplatinum selling album Tubular Bells, out on 8th June through the Mercury Music Group/Universal Music Catalogue.  This is the first classic album to be released from Oldfield’s back catalogue, which was transferred from Virgin to Mercury/Universal in 2008.   It is 35 years since the opening passage was used in the film THE EXORCIST, making the album a global phenomenon.

This exciting new version of his 1973 groundbreaking album will not only be repackaged, but Mike himself has also remastered the tracks from his home in the Bahamas.   There will be FOUR physical editions of the album, as well as TWO digital versions. All versions will carry a new 2009 stereo mix of the album. The DELUXE EDITION has a 5.1 mix, while the boxed ULTIMATE EDITION, complete with 60 page hardback book with a foreword by Mike Oldfield, poster, plectrums and all manner of Tubular delights, contains all of this as well as previously unheard demo and rough mixes of this epochal recording. There will 500 of these superb, limited editions available through www.mikeoldfield.com signed and numbered. For those who like things old school, there is a vinyl version being released as part of the acclaimed Back To Black series.

There will also be a double-disc edition of the album with a bonus disc of Oldfield’s biggest hits between 1974 and 1983. This edition will be extensively advertised on TV.

To celebrate the release, on June 6th at 6pm (6.6.6pm) a worldwide bell ringing event will take place. Bells will be rung in Milan (MTV), Berlin (at Siegessaule, the location were Mike performed the legendary millennium bell concert on New Years Eve Y2K), Brussells (Atomium), Paris (the George Pompidou centre), Sydney (Opera House), Japan/Narita (at one of the traditional Japanese Temples) and finally London, where bells will be rung on at famous landmarks. Footage will then be shown on Mike’s website.

Tubular Bells will be available on the following formats:

TUBULAR BELLS / THE MIKE OLDFIELD COLLECTION

TUBULAR BELLS PART ONE (new stereo mix by Mike Oldfield, Bahamas, March 2009)
TUBULAR BELLS PART TWO (new stereo mix by Mike Oldfield, Bahamas, March 2009)
MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE
SAILOR’S HORNPIPE (Vivian Stanshall version)

DISC TWO: THE MIKE OLDFIELD COLLECTION 1974-1983

In Dulci Jubilo                                                             
Ommadawn (excerpt)                                              
Portsmouth                                                               
William Tell Overture                                              
Incantations Part Four (excerpt)                           
Guilty (long version)                                                           
Blue Peter                                                                
Five Miles Out 
Taurus II (excerpt)                                                      
Wonderful Land                                                       
Family Man                                                                
Shadow on the Wall                                     
Moonlight Shadow                                                  
Foreign Affair    

TUBULAR BELLS DELUXE EDITION 2CD and 1DVD

DISC ONE CD

MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE

DISC TWO CD

TUBULAR BELLS PART ONE (original stereo mix May 1973)
TUBULAR BELLS PART TWO (original stereo mix May 1973)

DVD
AUDIO:

TUBULAR BELLS PART ONE (5.1 Surround mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)
TUBULAR BELLS PART TWO (5.1 Surround Mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)
MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE (5.1 Surround Mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)

VISUAL:
BBC TV 2ND HOUSE - 3RD DECEMBER 1973

TUBULAR BELLS THE ULTIMATE EDITION

Complete with 60-page hardback book, plectrums, poster, facsimile of Manor Studios recording brochure, gig ticket, postcard, recording information

DISC ONE CD

MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE

DISC TWO CD

DVD
AUDIO

TUBULAR BELLS PART ONE (5.1 Surround mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)
TUBULAR BELLS PART TWO (5.1 Surround Mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)
MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE (5.1 Surround Mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)

VISUAL
BBC TV 2ND HOUSE - 3RD DECEMBER 1973

VINYL

BONUS CD

TUBULAR BELLS (1971 demos)
TUBULAR BELLS (Scrapped first mix Spring 1973)

TUBULAR BELLS VINYL EDITION
This will be part of the Back to Black series. Download will be available from Back To Black site

TUBULAR BELLS DIGITAL EDITION

MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE

TUBULAR BELLS (1971 demos)
TUBULAR BELLS (Scrapped first mix Spring 1973)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 15 2009, 15:10

Don't care if it takes a remortgage, that ultimate edition is MINE.

That sounds absolutely great. Think they'll be able to back it up with enough suitable publicity?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 15 2009, 15:18

I love the 'worldwide bell ringing event' idea ....those monks will be going up and down like a yo yo if they try to play the opening TB theme ... :D

I'll definitely put my name down for the signed Ultimate Edition though I'm sure many thousands will also do the same !
:(

What's in the 60 page book I wonder ?

Neil
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 15 2009, 15:23

Reading through the press release again, I am not sure I understand the wording regarding the ultimate edition. Is that 500 copies signed or only 500 copies in total? Wouldn't want to miss out...

no sign yet on mikeoldfield.com of how to order the ultimate. Any ideas when that will go live?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 15:27

At the risk of being verbally flogged, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here.

1)  Not a good idea to allow MO to do a remix, 5.1 or otherwise.  We all know what happened with HR.

2)  MO's Single (both sides) belong on the HR reissue (if there is one coming).  Even though it's a version of a TB theme, it was recorded during the HR sessions.

3)  If yer average Joe just wants the original-mix TB alone on one disc (with maybe a couple of bonus tracks), he's out of luck.

4)  The long-elusive original single remixes of TB that first introduced him to the world at large (or North America, at least) now still remain long-elusive.

5)  "The MO Collection"?  All those same old tracks yet again?

Man, I just don't know...

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
clac Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 17:00

money money money...
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 17:25

Hmmmmm, where are the never-before-on-cd tracks??!!  :/ I like the Mike Oldfield's Single on cd though!

Only 500 copies for the ultimate collection???!! Well, count me in, but I'm also afraid there are more buyers than there are copies.

Why not the vinyl release of the remix?? We already have millions vinyls of the original mix all over the world. Mike's recent releases never saw the light on vinyl, unfortunately. Music of the Spheres was an album which really would do good on vinyl!!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 17:33

What attracts me most in this is that it contains the first (as far as I know) physical issue, in digital format, of "M.O.'s Single". @ Bassman: OK, it was recorded during sessions for HR, but it's themes from TB, so it belongs to TB. :) And why shouldn't he remix TB in 5.1? He did his own 5.1 mix of TB 2003, and IMHO it's excellent. Why shouldn't a 5.1 mix of the original sound good as well? About his remix of HR, well, he remixed it that way because he liked it that way. And by now I think we should all know that Mike doesn't do what we like. He does what he likes. If we like it as well, that's good. If we don't like it, no-one's putting a gun at our heads saying "Buy this". Least of all Universal. :D

From my own point of view, I like box sets, so I'll most probably buy the "Ultimate Edition" even if I have already six copies of TB in various formats - I just want the CD version of "M.O.'s Single". :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 17:51

I'd have loved a digital release on an artsy USB key. Maybe even an artsy USB hub to plug all the re-releases. It would unveil a secret track once they are all plugged. And when 500,000 fans plug all their re-releases and connect at the same time online, another track is unveiled.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 17:51

I'm told Monday for the new mikeoldfield.com going live, but I think it's best not to make any promises, which is why I made that a more vague 'next week'!
I think that's 500 ultimate editions in total.

The 60 page booklet: I've not been given any final details for that, but among the things mentioned was various photos which have been dug out from various places. There are some prog rock journalists writing things for it.

The remix: as you can no doubt tell, it's in addition to the original, rather than replacing it. Whether anyone thinks it was worth the trouble is of course fairly subjective...I personally prefer the newer Hergest Ridge remix, for example. I think whoever does the remix, there's always that chance that some people will love it and some people will think it's a total hatchet job...at least having Mike wielding the hatchet makes a good selling point ;)

The 'standard' edition: like the press release said, there are four physical versions, they just chose to only mention three. As far as I'm aware, there will be a 'standard' edition (both as a CD and a download), with no extras, save for perhaps some new sleeve notes.

The contents of the 'Mike Oldfield Collection': it's a very deliberate decision. The idea was never to create something which fans will find interesting, but rather to create something which someone who wants to try Tubular Bells and at the same time give some of his other stuff a go: Universal's take on the 'greatest hits' idea. It's really catering for the people who don't want to buy anything more than Tubular Bells and those songs which they remember hearing on the radio.

I agree that there are some other things which it would have been nice to see (though to be honest, I don't think I'd have picked any of the US single edits either...); I did send along a whole list of things which I thought might be interesting to include on an 'ultimate edition' type of thing (including the things suggested on the forum). Most of those things aren't there on the tracklist. I do know that they turned over a lot of stones in the process of putting the whole thing together, so I suppose they had their reasons for making the choices that they did. It still looks like a fun release to me, though some of the proof is going to be in the tubular pudding!

There will be a Hergest Ridge reissue - all of Mike's albums, up to and including Crises, are scheduled for the first block of re-releases (the others, up to and including Heaven's Open, are coming later). I've not seen any indication of a time scale for that, but it ought to be soon, as EMI seem to be running down stocks of their editions (and that is the alternative to yet another re-release - just let the stocks run down and take Mike's music off the shelves entirely).
I personally think that Mike Oldfield's Single is a sensible addition - it was Mike's answer to what he considered to be bad single versions released in other parts of the world, so it was Mike's vision for how Tubular Bells should be presented in the UK. I think it being the Tubular Bells single for the UK qualifies it for a place in the Tubular Bells ultimate edition.

It's a difficult position they're in. They have to release something and all they can really do is try and put out some things which they think people out here might find interesting. Hopefully enough people will find the new offerings interesting enough to make the re-release a success; for some, though, the existing Virgin/EMI editions will be all they ever need - something which Universal can't do much about!
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 17:56

Point taken, Ugo.  But the fact is, if you want something that is thematically linked to TB to be on this reissue, regardless of the session dates, then a good portion of everything he's ever done would be fair game for inclusion.  Such choices are never easy, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.  Keeping the concept in a chronological context would accomplish that, and what's wrong with waiting to get those tracks on the HR reissue down the road?

And if you were paying attention, I explained why he shouldn't touch the original mix.  He already flexed his 5.1 muscle on TB 2003.  To do so again would be redundant, not to mention that he already gave us a perfectly acceptable surround mix on the SACD.

If he wants to tamper with the original mix, fine, as long as the original is somehow always available... and a person shouldn't have to pay extra cash for the "Deluxe Edition" just to have it.

Edited to specify: this was written before Korgscrew's preceding post, though my original comments stand.

--------------
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 17:58

Missing: Froggy Went A-Courting (two versions)  :/
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 18:04

@ Korgscrew.

Your comment on the US single mixes implies disapproval.  Can you be more specific why you would not like them?  I'm curious.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 15 2009, 18:10

im totally speachless about that ultimate thing.. :D wow.. i love that idea! thanks korg for such great news :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 18:21

Any ideas as to prices - especially that "ultimate" set?

As I don't have (and the wife wont let me have) a 5.1 set up, I may break the habit of a lifetime and go for the digital set.

Vinyl player bit the dust ages ago, and I've just moved house so going to be difficult to justify a big book and a plectrum  :/

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 18:23

That Ultimate Edition is mine - oh yeah  :D
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 18:48

The US singles: I was mostly saying that Mike didn't approve (I forget what the source of that is...it may have been Elements...or was it the Making of Tubular Bells book?), but it's true that I didn't think a lot of the US singles I remember hearing. They'd taken a few sections of Tubular Bells cut together to fit within a 7" single and I didn't feel the editing had been done terribly well, with rather jarring transitions. It felt to me like something that had been hastily cut together to satisfy a demand, rather than something which had been done with a lot of care. There may be some better ones which I haven't heard, they're not too common in Europe (most of my 'collection' is more a random accumulation of things I've found on rainy days while searching through record shops).
Of course music is an emotional thing as much as anything else - if I'd grown up with those editions, I'd maybe be more attached to them and see them in a different light. We all have different criteria for judging these things, after all (and some of mine stem from spending what some people might consider unhealthy amounts of time editing tape and digits...).

They may have not kept the tapes for those in the archives, of course - I could imagine they were created in the US and might now be somewhere separate. It would be interesting to know, really.

It's possible that some of the things we might have liked to have seen on the Tubular Bells releases might turn up elsewhere. Virgin had a whole raft of different compilations which may now all be discontinued. I think there's still an opportunity here to create what the Platinum Collection could have been but wasn't - a really comprehensive collection of alternate versions, B-sides and other lesser known things.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 19:03

I wonder if the cover art will also be "remastered"!! Thanks for all the info...
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 15 2009, 19:04

@ Korgscrew.

I guess what I'm saying then is one should be very familiar with the tracks before they make their conclusions, because if they are only going on MO's feelings about them, then they are doing the tracks a disservice.  I think MO's distain for the single remixes are unfairly prejudiced by his feelings over how they were used in "The Exorcist".  The single mixes are brilliant and well-deserving to be on the reissue.  Of course, that point is moot, now, because if they were not to be placed on this new edition, then they will certainly not be placed on any of the succeeding reissues.

Edited to add:  I am not referring to the sloppy, ham-fisted recreations of the original single mix that consequently ended up on "A Virgin Compilation" or Rhino's "Have A Nice Day" series.  Hearing those would definitely leave a bad taste in the listener's mouth.

--------------
Profile PM 
235 replies since April 15 2009, 14:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net