Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Details of the new Tubular Bells releases< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 419 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 28 2009, 22:03

:( :zzz: hate to rain on your parade tati or anyone else i offend, how many times can tb be re released and make a profit, even with a goodies bag thrown in? cheap and nasty mercury
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: April 29 2009, 06:46

Quote (ex member 419 @ April 29 2009, 03:03)
:( :zzz: hate to rain on your parade tati or anyone else i offend, how many times can tb be re released and make a profit, even with a goodies bag thrown in? cheap and nasty mercury

I appreciate where you're coming from, but I still disagree with you.

I think it depends on whether you're just interested in the music (and new music at that), or whether you like collecting MO related stuff as well. I confess I was only in the former group a few years ago, but I now regularly find myself rootling around on eBay looking for rare/deleted/promo MO stuff - especially anything with TB artwork or holograms on it! (Appeals to my inner sci-fi nerd, I expect :) )

Yes, this UE set is undoubtedly a cash cow for Universal. Nevertheless I don't think I can resist its collectable-ness (Is that a word?).

And if anybody can point me in the direction of a MO Guinness coaster I'd be eternally grateful  :cool:

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 29 2009, 11:09

Quote (ex member 419 @ April 29 2009, 03:03)
:( :zzz: hate to rain on your parade tati or anyone else i offend, how many times can tb be re released and make a profit, even with a goodies bag thrown in? cheap and nasty mercury, deb

I think it isn't just about re-releasing for the sake of it, Korgscrew made a comment a short while back about "summer of the bell" where he said:

To an extent, there has to be a 'Tubular Bells repack no. 1000' here - the Virgin album will no longer be available, so there really needs to be a basic edition of Tubular Bells for people who want to buy a cheap copy of the album they remember from their youth, or who want to give it a try and aren't interested in any bells and whistles (apart from the bells and whistles which Mike plays on the album, of course ;)). They're definitely looking beyond just doing that, though - there's a lot of thought going into the whole thing and, while they'll no doubt not please everyone (some people are bound to feel that they've bought enough copies of Tubular Bells and Tubular Bells-related albums already), I think it's going to be hard to fault them for trying this time. The proof will, of course, be in the (tubular) pudding.

So if I understand things right - because of a contract finishing or something Virgin can't sell Tubular Bells anymore so Universal *have* to do a new release.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 29 2009, 15:23

Quote (Matt @ April 29 2009, 16:09)
So if I understand things right - because of a contract finishing or something Virgin can't sell Tubular Bells anymore so Universal *have* to do a new release.

Universal hold the rights to TB and the rest of Mike's ex-Virgin catalogue, so naturally they will push this release as hard as they can in order to increase sales of this and the rest of the forthcoming re-releases.

Legally they don't *have* to do anything. It would be silly of them not to take advantage of this opportunity.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 29 2009, 22:57

I understand where you are coming from pat, trekkie, matt, and i am not criticising the effort mike has put into this, he is up day and night putting it together, universal are the ones with the most to gain, the artist only gets royalties! deb
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 30 2009, 15:53

I think that "Tubular Bells" has been done to death.

Yes, I will turn up for "The Bells" in London.

However, I think that this 666 gimmick of ringing "The Bells" might backfire. Relying on gimmicks is not good for credibility.

Ringing bells generally ought to be followed up by the release of a new album, as other established groups, like - The Stones - would do. The Stones don't get gimmicky.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: May 14 2009, 15:37

Amazon co.uk has dropped the price of the Ultimate Edition to 63 pounds from 70!  :)
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: May 14 2009, 20:22

new promo? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310142321512

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 06:42

Quote (Hifiguru @ May 15 2009, 01:22)
new promo? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310142321512

Interesting.

Incidentally, does anyone know a way of confirming the authenticity of such an item? Other promo items that I've seen on eBay are usually things that have already been acknowledged as 'official' out in the fan community or on the net generally. I wouldn't be so sure about something that's only just appeared though - and with eBay you can never be too careful!

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 08:16

The packaging of this promo is so retro.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 08:29

i asked to see photo from disc when it was still active but it was sold in a moment after that so seller didnt bother to send any  more info i guess.

i guess some spanish collector bought it so soon we see it added in mowd ;)

i think that promo will raise price higher because of nice sleeve so i better look copy now.

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 16:07

I have just received an email from mikeoldfield.com and I have ordered a signed copy for £75 !!!

Check your emails.....

:cool:

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
conny_a Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 16:19

Yes, the e-mail arrived 21.56 CET.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 16:32

:D  :D  I'VE JUST ORDERED !!!!!! Must be paying £20+ over an unsigned version esp. since I chose next day delivery at £12 !!!!! ......BUT I DON'T CARE !!!!!!

:) Neil
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 16:38

I got the email too. And ordered it. :) It's £10 more than the item I had pre-ordered on amazon.co.uk, which I just cancelled... but WTF? It's a signed copy (one out of 500... should I believe this? :D) and it's got an extra item that Amazon doesn't list: check out this page and what it lists as the contents of the Bonus CD... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 17:12

Have you seen the T-Shirts !!!! ....A pity there's no XXL size !!!  ....Are those waist sizes  XL = 42-44 Chest ? Cannot be correct unless their European equivalents ?
:(  :)

All this stuff + world wide Bell ringing event I can't help but think there's something more to it all e.g . A TV Special MO Documentary !!! ? ....If only ...

Neil :D
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 17:14

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ April 17 2009, 21:38)
I'm with Ratty, how much will the new, modern, high tech, retro mixo nouvo, evolving reworking version of a version of a theme of version of a new 5.1 extravaganza with added extra bonus material in a shiny new cover cost us.

yep what's the price, I doubt I can afford it, us poor folks on limited incomes   :O  :( .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 15 2009, 17:19

More details in a new topic!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 16:14

Quote (Hifiguru @ May 15 2009, 09:29)
i guess some spanish collector bought it so soon we see it added in mowd ;)

i think that promo will raise price higher because of nice sleeve so i better look copy now.

It was me who has bought that promo.Waiting here to arrive.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: May 17 2009, 09:07

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 16 2009, 21:14)
It was me who has bought that promo.Waiting here to arrive.

Nice catch !

Please give us details when you can, the photo on EBay wasn't too clear - thanks Tati  :)
Profile PM 
235 replies since April 15 2009, 14:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net