Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Details of the new Tubular Bells releases< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tubular_trekkie Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 23 2009, 07:50

Quote (Silver Negus @ April 23 2009, 12:07)
I found out about the bell ringing event a few weeks back on Dark Star homepage.  I'm glad Tubular Bells is being re-awakened as I think it is a timeless piece of music that more people are starting to like.  However I don't have plans to buy the new album, as I don't feel the need to , like I did not feel the need to buy 'Music of The Spheres'.  To me there is only one piece of music that will have a lasting affect on me, as much as it did when I was a young child, and that is the original 'Tubular Bells.'

The only thing is, I think the 'Bellringing' i'm in two minds about.  What is the objective of it.  If this Bellringing is being done then one would need to do another 'big' event after it otherwise it is going to look strange and strange to the public.

If I was a member of the public and random bells started ringing in the middle of London, I'd ask questions as to why, and some members of the public might be annoyed yet others would think 'what is the over all point, what is the point being made here?'  However if it was for dramatic effect for a concert or show, one could understand.

So if I could ask Mr Oldfield one thing it would be, 'What is the over all objective you are trying to prove here?'  And if the Bellringing is an 'awakening' ceremony for Tubular Bells, then you follow it on with another event that can be memorable to people.  Basically stand and deliver and get on stage with your guitar again.

I'd second this.
Whilst the idea of a global bell ringing event is rather cool, I do wonder whether this is actually going to have all that much impact. It's clearly designed to be a marketing gimmick I'd say and without a concert or something to back it up I'm sceptical that anyone is really going to pay it that much heed. (Apart from us of course! )

I also wonder just how high profile it's likely to be. Even if some bells are publicly rung in London will anybody suddenly think 'Ooh Mike Oldfield/Tubular Bells'? Or will they just say - as you point out - 'what's all that about then?' A general shrug from Joe Public is more what we'll get.

Yeah, I know, I'm a cynic  ;)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 07:54

If the bells play the TB theme...that would be another story.I'm sure they will do this.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 08:16

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ April 23 2009, 12:54)
If the bells play the TB theme...that would be another story.I'm sure they will do this.

Yeah, that would make a difference of course!

I think the impression given by the announcement seems to be that of some random bell ringing though, rather than playing the opening theme. You're right that that's probably wrong though - as that would be even more pointless without a concert or other event to back it up.

And I still think Silver Negus has a good point - it just seems like a fanfare that doesn't actually go anywhere. Whereas if it was part of a larger event it would seem like a really exciting herald to a live show (for example) and not just a cute gimmick. But I would imagine that's pie-in-the-sky, unfortunately... :/

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 23 2009, 15:08

Of course the thing is, the bells in some of those places may be rung at 6 every day anyway...

I'm not really certain how accurate their information is either; they haven't said what type of bells will be rung, but some of the venues mentioned - the Siegessäule in Berlin, for example - don't have any of their own. There's a carillon nearby, but that's the carillon, not the Siegessäule! That one's a fairly iconic location, but if they're going to, say, have handbell ringers around the Siegessäule, they ought to realise that it's basically the centre of a traffic roundabout, which is noisy and where I've never personally seen too many people gathering (I mean to say, it seems to do ok as a tourist attraction, from people who feel fit enough to climb all the stairs to the top, but it never really bustles with activity). The lack of activity can be made up for by somehow attracting an audience (Barack Obama seemed to get a big enough crowd when he visited...), but that doesn't help with the traffic noise (closing the roads would, but then I doubt they'll go to that expense). The Brandenburg Gate would make a nicer venue for that kind of thing (though gaining permission could prove tricky), or Gendarmenmarkt, or Bebelplatz, to name a few quite prominent places which are more isolated from traffic (not to say that there's none nearby, just it's not as heavy on all sides) and are likely to both be places where there's a decent amount of people passing through and enough space for them to be able to stop and watch. If they'd not gone with the whole 666 thing, they could have involved churches...
Going further with the whole Berlin thing, not only does one of the cathedrals on Gendarmenmarkt have a carillon, but there's a statue of Schiller (no, not Christopher von Deylen...) there too - author of (amongst other things) Das Lied von der Glocke (the song of the bell), a poem which features the idea of bells as a constant presence in life, ringing out at different stages through life...rather like the way different stages in Mike's career have been marked by Tubular Bells in its various forms. There's the beginnings of an event there...but not one which is compatible with the whole 666 concept.

I can't say I think the 666 thing is too sensible - Tubular Bells isn't a satanic album, after all. If it was "Tubular Bells - 6.6.6 - it's not just about the Exorcist" the thing would make a tiny bit more sense...but personally, I can see it alienating more people than it attracts.

There are more whacky - and ultimately probably more successful - things they could do. Going with a bells theme, they could get a load of Tubular Bells fruit stickers printed, stick them on oranges and lemons (in reference to the nursery rhyme) and give them out at London stations. Those would only serve as a reminder of a larger media campaign though (i.e. a way of making people think "Why the heck am I being given fruit?" and being sufficiently puzzled that it sticks in their minds and - if you can excuse the pun - rings a bell when people next hear it mentioned). Whether anyone would then accuse the album of being a lemon is another matter.

I've tried several times to discuss the possibility of us doing an event to tie in with this, but they refuse to give us any details, so I can only assume they don't really want our support there (silly, if you ask me - if they want to attract attention to these bellringing events, having large numbers of people turning out would help, and inviting fans would seem a good way of doing that). Maybe we'll all go down to the pub instead...

As for what Mike's objectives are here...I'd not ask him! He has very little to do with all this - he remixed the album, that's about it. Most of this, as far as I'm aware, is the work of Universal.
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 15:16

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 23 2009, 16:08)
If they'd not gone with the whole 666 thing, they could have involved churches...

How about the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche? Thats quite an iconic location  :D

Thats even a little 666 as far as churches go.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 16:34

Korgscrew-
I can't really see why they're going for the whole '666' stuff either. It doesn't really have anything to do with the concept of Tubular Bells from where I'm standing.

Does the tie-in with the Exorcist give the album greater marquee value internationally? I'm guessing that has to be the explanation, although I think it's going to be lost on quite a few people (including me! )

--------------

Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 24 2009, 04:40

:D The Bells of St.Clements on the Tube..Pure genius.

I don`t know it`s pretty obvious that Universal see The Exorcist link as some sort of "way in" to Tubular Bells.Maybe it`ll pay off for them in some way,to be honest I would`nt like to say?Maybe that`s part of the reason why they`re reluctant to involve Mike`s longer standing fan base in any way?They are trying to re-launch the album to a whole new "audience" after all.Funnily enough I recently "acquired" an Acid-Jazz based album of TV & Film themes that featured a cover track listed as "The Theme From The Exorcist"..Quite possibly the worst version of Tubular Bells I have heard in my entire life...And that`s saying something.

The whole "bell ringing" thing,kind of reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons with Homer outside of the bowling arcade firing off a shotgun into the air..."Bells"..."Get yer Tubular Bells"!..Maybe it`ll all make more sense when the time comes around?..Or not???
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 25 2009, 11:10

Apologies if this has already been written in the pages above, but The Ultimate Edition appears to be availbel for pre-order at Amazon now (£70.49).

I assume this is the same edition as will be available on the oldfield site but unsigned?

Anyone know?
Thanks

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: April 25 2009, 11:28

Hello Mr C.

I think that nobody knows it, but in my opinion....it is the same.
The only thing is that they mention nothing about the book, poster and the other things which will be in the box.

Strange.... :/

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 25 2009, 11:44

@ clotty: link, please! :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: April 25 2009, 11:51

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0026RCAIA

--------------

Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: April 25 2009, 11:56

Quote (yanouch65 @ April 25 2009, 16:28)
Hello Mr C.

I think that nobody knows it, but in my opinion....it is the same.
The only thing is that they mention nothing about the book, poster and the other things which will be in the box.

Strange.... :/

Indeed. But if the extra stuff isn't included (i.e. the book, the poster, the plectrums (lol! )), it seems bloomin' expensive don't you think?

--------------

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 25 2009, 12:03

@ yanouch: thanks a lot. ;)

@ trekkie & clotty: Amazon never lists any of the extras (i.e. everything that's not CDs or DVDs) included in box sets. When I received the box set version of Red Hot Chili Peppers' album Stadium Arcadium, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it included marbles, a wooden top and other goodies which Amazon didn't list. This page, about Depeche Mode's Sounds of the Universe box set, which I now own, doesn't list the two books, the five postcards, the two posters, the certificate of authenticity and the two enamel badges (or rather, lapel pins) that are included within the box and that I regularily received. Also, Amazon's tracklist for the DVD included in the DM box lists the 5.1 mixes for the five bonus tracks, but it doesn't list the 5.1 mixes for the whole SotU album, which of course are on the DVD. So, in a nutshell, I'm not worrying too much about this. ;) Indeed, I've already placed my pre-order for the box on Amazon... who cares if it's not signed by Mike O., what I do care about is the contents! :D

--------------
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: April 25 2009, 14:10

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ April 25 2009, 17:56)
Indeed. But if the extra stuff isn't included (i.e. the book, the poster, the plectrums (lol! )), it seems bloomin' expensive don't you think?

Yes, you are right! ;)

Ugo, thank you for your notices.  :)

--------------

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 25 2009, 15:32

@ yanouch: you're welcome. However, IMHO, if the M.O. box includes everything Amazon is listing plus the extras (books, plecs, etc.) it's not too pricey. The DM box is worth every single one of the 60+ euros I paid for it. Unfortunately there's no vinyl in it, but that's not a big fault. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 27 2009, 20:51

I have pondered why mike would agree to having the exorcist and 666 theme to relaunch tb, good from record company view, but his music is not demonic, its a negative, controversial issue, his music should have a more pleasant link,positive, deb
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 27 2009, 23:06

Wow. Never saw this. Rereleasing Tubular Bells just never seems to get old does it? Despite his anti-popularity.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 28 2009, 05:37

My comment was not against mike or his music, i just think his music could have been advertised with a more positive theme, he deserves more credibility than what mercury have done, mike probably had no say in it, deb
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 28 2009, 08:00

The problem is...the TB - Exorcist connection,although we fans do hate it,it does work as a promotional tool to sell more copies.That's the point.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: April 28 2009, 12:01

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ April 28 2009, 04:06)
Wow. Never saw this. Rereleasing Tubular Bells just never seems to get old does it? Despite his anti-popularity.

:laugh: :laugh:
Even though I'm probably going to be buying it (sucker, I guess), I couldn't help but laugh at this! After all you HAVE got a point: how many versions of TB do we really need... ?

--------------

Profile PM 
235 replies since April 15 2009, 14:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net