Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Details of the new Tubular Bells releases< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 17 2009, 21:43

I was told a very rough pricing for the ultimate edition back in March. I don't know what stage they were at with planning things at that stage, so it may have been a complete stab in the dark. As you'll all have probably figured already, costing up something like that is quite a long process, which includes taking into account what suppliers charge for things, how many people are involved and for how long and all manner of other things...so the stab in the dark price they may have hoped for back in March may be way out - it could be too high, or it could be too low. My main recommendation, therefore, is to wait and see before making too many judgements...

All that said, I was told it would cost about £60. If everyone reading that price looks at it and thinks "yikes!", I have to say that was my first reaction too, but actually, if you cost up how much you'd pay if buying all those separate elements at retail price, it's quite reasonable. It really depends whether you want all those things or not!
Profile PM 
GodGift Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 17 2009, 22:56

Honestly, for me the price isn't that bad... I was suspecting about 100 quid for that:P

--------------
What a lovely day!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 17 2009, 23:08

Well I think I probably would`ve guessed somewhere around £50 and upwards,so not too far away I guess.I have to say there`s no way on earth I could  justify spending that amount of money on what is essentialy another copy of TB.That said for those that can readily afford it,and for that little "collector" in all of us I guess.It does seem like a nice little thing to have.And at least Mike has finaly found a use for all of his unused plectrums..   ;)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 23:18

Quote (GodGift @ April 17 2009, 23:56)
Honestly, for me the price isn't that bad... I was suspecting about 100 quid for that:P

I did suspect about 100 quid too...btw,the cash has been reserved to get the ultimate edition of TB...at least I have a reason to buy it,give myself a birthday present, Mike Oldfield boosted. And I'm not a collector...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
valiado Offline

Posted: April 18 2009, 02:42

Hi friends

A small video about 'The forthcoming TUBULAR BELLS - SPECIAL EDITION':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwzOfss1PaI

Regards from Spain ;)
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: April 18 2009, 03:01

here is 1 buyer for UE also ;)

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
valiado Offline

Posted: April 18 2009, 03:03

Sure! ;)
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 18 2009, 03:38

Quote (Dirk Star @ April 17 2009, 23:08)
...And at least Mike has finaly found a use for all of his unused plectrums..   ;)

Did the announcement state that they were Mike's old plectrums?

"...the ultimate edition will also include a 60 page hardback book, plectrums, a poster, a facsimile of the Manor Studios brochure, a facsimile concert ticket, a postcard and recording information."

The plectrums are from the guitar shop round the corner from the marketing office (they've bought a job lot), the 60 page hard back book is a re-release of a Thomas Hardy classic, the facsimile concert ticket is from a college band gig in Putney and the  postcard is apparently of a village scene in the cotswolds.  ;)

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: April 18 2009, 04:45

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 17 2009, 22:43)
All that said, I was told it would cost about £60. If everyone reading that price looks at it and thinks "yikes!", I have to say that was my first reaction too, but actually, if you cost up how much you'd pay if buying all those separate elements at retail price, it's quite reasonable.

£60 seems quite reasonable to me, I was expecting alot more really.
And it does seem like a quality product with some actual content, rather than just fancy repackaging.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 18 2009, 06:23

Quote (Kiwwy @ April 18 2009, 10:45)
Quote (Korgscrew @ April 17 2009, 22:43)
All that said, I was told it would cost about £60. If everyone reading that price looks at it and thinks "yikes!", I have to say that was my first reaction too, but actually, if you cost up how much you'd pay if buying all those separate elements at retail price, it's quite reasonable.

£60 seems quite reasonable to me, I was expecting alot more really.
And it does seem like a quality product with some actual content, rather than just fancy repackaging.

It seems a reasonable price to me too, but I'd like to say to everyone: don't get too pinned on this figure. Like Korg said, it's an stab in the dark, so don't be suprised if the actual price may be higher when it's released (before everyone will be dissapointed).

The cash is also reserved here, though I still can't help but fear those 500 will be out before any of us will get one. Great idea about reserving for the die hard fans here. Could Mercury or MikeOldfield.com make this possible?

@ Korg: One question I forgot to ask: the rereleases that will follow (and including this original mix of TB): I presume the mixes on the cds will be the remastered mixes Simon Heyworth made in 1999?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 18 2009, 08:02

Quote (valiado @ April 18 2009, 07:42)
Hi friends

Nice  :)  Great find, where did this originate from I wonder?

£50-60 / €65 yeah that Ultimate Edition is mine. I'm sure if the demand outweighs supply they would authorise a repressing.

Any chance you could find out about that Korgscrew, please ?
Profile PM 
valiado Offline

Posted: April 18 2009, 12:07

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ April 18 2009, 08:02)
Quote (valiado @ April 18 2009, 07:42)
Hi friends

Nice  :)  Great find, where did this originate from I wonder?

Here, http://www.oldfield.de/  ;)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 18 2009, 12:33

Not much of a trailer. But I'll buy the ultimate one provided I get the news fast enough to get one of the first 500.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 19 2009, 07:11

It's all here too:

http://www.mikeoldfield.org/news/index.htm

http://www.mikeoldfield.org/news/150409.htm

Email subscribers to Dark Star will no doubt have got the same email I did.

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: April 19 2009, 08:11

As a ballpark figure £60 sounds reasonable I guess. Certainly I expected it to easily tip over the £50 mark for such a package. Personally, I'm hoping it doesn't start pushing too near to the £100 sort of price range; I think I'd need to give rather more serious thought to the purchase if it did!

Perhaps they'll decide on £66, seeing as they've got all this '666' stuff going on with the promotion?

As long as they don't go with £666, eh?  :O   :p

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: April 19 2009, 08:59

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ April 19 2009, 09:11)
Perhaps they'll decide on £66, seeing as they've got all this '666' stuff going on with the promotion?

Then they ought to atleast have made 666 copies available, rather than just 500.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: April 19 2009, 09:42

Quote (Kiwwy @ April 19 2009, 13:59)
Quote (tubular_trekkie @ April 19 2009, 09:11)

Then they ought to atleast have made 666 copies available, rather than just 500.

Well yes, quite. I wonder why not? It would give another 166 people a chance to obtain it, after all.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: April 19 2009, 14:16

Just read the news after a week vacation... great news !
but only 500 Ultimate Editions... how am I gonna get one of those...?
I would like to have it for the demos and the "scrapped first mix" (I just don't like digital releases)
I could do without the vinyl... haven't got anything to play it on  ;)

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 19 2009, 19:19

@ ProjectZ: buy a 1970s turntable like mine. There are some cheap ones out there, and they sound much better than today's hypertechnological players. :)

About the £60 figure: well, I've recently bought the Kraftwerk Catalogue box on eBay for £185 - and as far as I know the lowest price ever mentioned for that (on a book) was £400. So I think that spending £60 for something that's inevitably going to become as rare as that box (which was never officially released, unlike this) is not only fitting, suitable or reasonable - it's perfect. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Robbie Offline

Posted: April 20 2009, 02:37

Tubular Bells 18th Ultimate Rererelease Definitive Mix... :/
Profile PM 
235 replies since April 15 2009, 14:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net