[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Details of the new Tubular Bells releases< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
3Wheeler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 16 2009, 16:06

The Later Releases     should hold more interest "Crises"
onwards specially if some unreleased songs appear...  Apart from the "Single"  cannt find yet another version of TB1 exciting...  virgin remaster and TB 2003  is enough to keep me satisfied in that department..

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 16 2009, 16:11

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 16 2009, 20:53)
Some more bits of info...

I got a bit more clarification on the issue of a single disc edition with no extras (I have to admit I'd had a long day yesterday and got a bit fuzzy over the details myself...): there will be one eventually, but not at the moment. When it comes, it will be with the new remix rather than the old one, but the original mix will continue to be available in the deluxe edition. I haven't been given any details on pricing, but knowing what the situation is with other Universal deluxe editions, the deluxe edition will probably be priced to make it a reasonable alternative to buying a single CD, which may make this slightly less of a Hergest Ridge all over again than it might seem. Still, rather a controversial decision...

I've asked about Hergest Ridge and said that there's a great demand for the original mix. No direct answer on that, but they're working on similar releases for Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn (my guess being they may not go as far as ultimate and vinyl editions of those, but we'll see...). I'll continue to pester about that and also try to make sure that the currently available mixes (the Boxed and original mixes respectively) of those two albums continue to be available too, but obviously all that any of us can do is strongly suggest these things.

There may be some unheard demo material amongst those 1971 demos. Mike made two different demos of Tubular Bells and my suspicion was that the one on the Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A was the later of the two, though that was a slightly wild guess (partly based on the fact that the hoover wasn't there...). I wouldn't suggest getting your hopes up too highly, but in my conversation on the phone in March, I got the impression that what's on the ultimate edition may include some more demos. That was just an impression rather than something I was told outright (the words were along the lines of that 'some of them have been released before'; I mentioned how I thought that more demos had been made and it would be very interesting if they could find those, the reply to which was just a slightly evasive 'yes'! ).

I think the scrapped 1973 mix is mentioned somewhere in the Making of Tubular Bells book. I think they made several attempts at mixing the album, that one presumably being the only one which was a complete pass (or at least the only one which made it into the archive). It's interesting that they even kept this one. That's really all I know about it, though.

I do agree about things like the QEH premiere - it would have been nice to have included that (it was another of the things which went on my long list...). There might be reasons they didn't include it though - it may not be easy to find a good quality tape of it and as the recording probably wasn't made by Virgin, there may be licencing issues (which shouldn't be too hard to overcome, but from a business point of view, I can see why they might want to stick to making this release from ex-Virgin material only - that's something which unfortunately applies to a lot of rare recordings). There's still hope for things like that in the future though...

I still don't have any information on how copies of the ultimate edition can be reserved, only that it'll all be done through the updated mikeoldfield.com. I think that'll be the only outlet for it. There may be some other interesting things available from there too, if you know what I mean :)

Great job, Richard!

Thumbs up!

:D
Profile PM 
bob Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 16:29

I do agree about things like the QEH premiere - it would have been nice to have included that (it was another of the things which went on my long list...). There might be reasons they didn't include it though -

I believe that the QE hall recording was done by the BBC not virgin at least the copy I have of it starts with a BBC announcer introducing Michael Oldfield so it was probably on Radio 3
   Bob
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 16:40

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ April 16 2009, 02:33)
Well...as I suspected...almost just another Tubular Bells repack...throw in some mixes, plectres, pictures etc etc and there you go.

One have to be a very fanatic fan to just blindly swallow this without seeing what it is...an attempt from Universal to milk the cow..

Where is the rare tracks? (only hits from 1973 to 1983 - what the hell?)
Where are the special videos that people seek (like Wembley 83, TB 10th anniversary concert)

I think I´ll pass on this one..
Sorry Mike Oldfield, you wont see my creditcard flashing for this release..   ;)

:(  :/ Humm !!! Again around Tubular Bells ? Ok i'm a great fan of Mike ( and i will not accept that someone could have some doubts about that )  since i've discovered Ommadawn when i was 12 years old .( 30 years anniversary this month i've discoverd his music ) But i think now it's enough and i'm sure , imho , this doesn't do something good for Mike himself ! Right now , i  need my money to buy some new musical computer equipment  to make the computer music which is a therapy for me .... but again i'll do an exception for this time , i'll try ( try because i think this will be really hard to get one of the 500 copies ) to get this ultimate edition because i would be very happy to have a autograph from Mike himself and an album signed/numbered ! But in any case i want to say i'm sorry but i agree with  Prisoner of the dark sky... I would like to listen something new now , Mike is not old and he has again a lot of years in front of him , he has the time to compose again .... :laugh: and if he wants i can give him some ideas or maybe he could produce me :laugh:  Ehh ! not a bad idea , Mike Oldfield as a producer ! Ahh where is the time of Mike Oldfield Music Overseas ! i'm happy he doesn't move to Bahamas for the banks  but only for the big studio sited there ... i've watched a bit  the equipments and i've seen there is a Neve console in this studio , i think he has worked a lot with this brand maybe this is why he has done this choice . Sun and good equipments :

http://www.compasspointstudios.com/
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 02:21

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 16 2009, 14:53)
I've asked about Hergest Ridge and said that there's a great demand for the original mix. No direct answer on that, but they're working on similar releases for Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn (my guess being they may not go as far as ultimate and vinyl editions of those, but we'll see...). I'll continue to pester about that and also try to make sure that the currently available mixes (the Boxed and original mixes respectively) of those two albums continue to be available too, but obviously all that any of us can do is strongly suggest these things.

That's very encouraging - the original mix of Hergest Ridge remastered on CD would be truly splendid! :)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 17 2009, 07:09

Incantations and Ommadawn are one of those im looking forward to. Must be some unrelesed stuff there. What about all the stuff from Reflections?
The Tubular bells edition is great, but now im reeeaally looking for some of the others :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ratty Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 07:20

Korgy, thanks for the info and updates. Just one question, Has anything been mentioned regarding prices for the Ultimate edition?  :)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 07:30

Quote (Tubularman @ April 17 2009, 08:09)
Incantations and Ommadawn are one of those im looking forward to. Must be some unrelesed stuff there. What about all the stuff from Reflections?

Not to mention The Space Movie!

Or OHR for that matter...yes, the list goes on...

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 07:34

Quote (bob @ April 16 2009, 17:29)
I believe that the QE hall recording was done by the BBC not virgin at least the copy I have of it starts with a BBC announcer introducing Michael Oldfield so it was probably on Radio 3

He sounds really terrible - Were they really all like that in those days?

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 08:33

Quote (Airborne @ April 16 2009, 15:27)
Quote (Korgscrew @ April 16 2009, 19:53)
I do agree about things like the QEH premiere - it would have been nice to have included that (it was another of the things which went on my long list...). There might be reasons they didn't include it though -

The main one being that an inebriated Viv Stanshall stumbled into the recorder and ruined the recording.

Is that true? That sounds fantastic. All the more reason to release it then.
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 09:07

Hello One and All! Assuming that you, dear readers,and me will be eagerly hovering around the MO website for that link to arrive to be one of the 500 owners..... has anybody thought about a way of alerting fellow Tubular.net regulars when it appears? How about a heads-up on Twitter, for example? It's just a way to give us, the rather more above average MO fanatic, a bit of a head start!!! Any ideas?

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 09:11

Quote (Kiwwy @ April 17 2009, 13:34)
Quote (bob @ April 16 2009, 17:29)

He sounds really terrible - Were they really all like that in those days?

Oh yess indeedy! You had a 'compare' to introduce bands back then.... goodness knows why! Maybe to help clapped out old radio presenters earn a few pounds. You couldn't imagine it now....'Ladies and Gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to introduce Coldplay for your evenings entertainment pleasure'........

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 13:34

Offer them caviar, yet still they demand something rarer...

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Airborne Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 13:54

Quote (TOBY @ April 17 2009, 13:33)

The main one being that an inebriated Viv Stanshall stumbled into the recorder and ruined the recording.

Actually, so as not to tarnish Viv's reputation any further than it ought, I must stress this is what I was told rather than actual fact. It maybe to cover up the other story I heard which was that the Ampex multitrack tape machine brought in from the US to record the event was plugged into our UK mains supply, promply lit up brightly and died.

The mono radio broadcast is all that exists and I think it was done by the early Independent Local Radio network rather than the BBC. I'd dearly love to know myself.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 14:08

I know some people look down on this all as another TB repackage, making fans buy what they basically have many times already, but it does seem this could be the start of something big, if they are trying to make the most of Mikes albums, then it would make sense to start with TB, and hopefully go on to do other great things with the other albums later.
And we may get to see stuff like Knebworth etc on DVD
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 14:19

Quote (Airborne @ April 17 2009, 13:54)
Quote (TOBY @ April 17 2009, 13:33)

Actually, so as not to tarnish Viv's reputation any further than it ought, I must stress this is what I was told rather than actual fact. It maybe to cover up the other story I heard which was that the Ampex multitrack tape machine brought in from the US to record the event was plugged into our UK mains supply, promply lit up brightly and died.

The mono radio broadcast is all that exists and I think it was done by the early Independent Local Radio network rather than the BBC. I'd dearly love to know myself.

Hope it is a true story. It doesn't tarnish Viv's reputation in the slightest, complete opposite in fact. The man was a genius I would expect anything less from him.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 14:38

it's a long time since I was a collector.  I just can't see me buying what is the same music over and over again just to hear SOMETHING new, if I'm lucky.  TB is great but let's get a life!
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 17:38

I'm with Ratty, how much will the new, modern, high tech, retro mixo nouvo, evolving reworking version of a version of a theme of version of a new 5.1 extravaganza with added extra bonus material in a shiny new cover cost us.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 18:12

All I know is, if it's gonna be as pricey as I think, screw the plectrum!...  one of his friggin' pinky-nails better be in there!

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 18:46

Quote (Airborne @ April 16 2009, 20:27)

Really? Why aren't I surprised?  :p

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
235 replies since April 15 2009, 14:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net