Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Despite what people say, this is a beautiful album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Rod Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 28 2000, 21:33

I know most MO fans say that this album is not that good. I just wanted to point out that it's an album full of inspiration and calmness. When that's what I need, I'll play Voyager and feel replenished. It has also some meoldic peaks that make me shiver. I think it is a very true, sincere, deep, and beautiful work by MO, despite many people not liking it for not being an "Amarok" or a "TB."
Profile PM 
stig Offline

Posted: June 29 2000, 20:59

How could anyone not like voyager? I am safe to say that it can NOT be classed with the really bad albums (Earth Moving, Islands, Heaven's open) Because it is simply wonderful. And i can't BELIEVE that any oldfield fan can sit back and say they don't like Mont St. Michel. Its truly amazing.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 03 2000, 21:10

Also, compare the sound of Mont St Michel with Lake Constance from TMB (both two guitar with orchestra tracks). But Mont St Michel seems so much more open, more natural, with more space to the sound...lovely...
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2000, 15:46

I have to say that coming to Voyager after SODE was a bit of a letdown for me, as SODE just blew me away. However, I think this is as solid an album as any. The keening (okay, caoine-ing, for the Celts) guitar solo on "Wild Goose Flaps Its Wings" sends my blood cold, it's so gorgeous--probably one of my favorite short MO pieces.
As far as MSM goes...although I listened to it plenty of times, I don't think I've really HEARD it. It fades into the background of my attention span pretty quickly, and only comes back up at the end. I know it deserves a deeper listen...perhaps I'll do that tonight!
Profile PM WEB 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2000, 09:26

What a difference a concerted listen makes! I did as I said--sat down with nothing else to do and really LISTENED to MSM. I have to admit that I still think it gets a bit bombastic at times, with the swelling strings urging the piece into melodrama, but there's so much to like about it.
The best bits, I think, are around the 5 minute mark, with the easy strings and voices...absolutely angelic and atmospheric. If you don't like MSM (or think you don't), it deserves a second chance!
Profile PM WEB 
gorjanbak Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2000, 02:31

I like it.This amazing album is full of beautiful nature sounds and brings you feeling like you are in the way to heaven.Work full of ambiental sequences and songs.My favorits are 'The Hero' 'She Moved Through The Fair' 'Wild Goose Flaps Its Wings' 'Flowers of the Forest' and of course 'Mont St. Michel' .Wonderful.Hey Mike.Please make the new age music in your next album just like in 'Voyager'.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2003, 21:49

Sorry, i got the cd out to listen to as i pedal to work, and i still don't get it. A commercial thing? Contactual obligation? Who got Mike to dress up? Or just another phase.

The beauty is Mike can cover so many areas/styles, always with brilliant musical skill.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 08:32

it is a great relaxing album...when i am switching it on all the nerves and stress are vanishing somehere...MIke had done a really great job...the guitar parts are wonderfull.although this is not the album that you can just switch on whenever you like.you must have a mood for it - that's my opinion.

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 09:36

Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 12 2003, 00:49)
A commercial thing? Contactual obligation? Who got Mike to dress up? Or just another phase.

As far as I know,Rob Dickins(one of the heads of Warner UK) asked Mike if he could do an Celtic album,and way back in 96,celtic music was "hot".

I like some tunes on it like The Song of The Sun,The Voyager,Women of Ireland for example,they're so beautiful and good to relax,but it's not Mike's high peak.Although I'm still asking why that *silly* CD cover...well,no more comments about it.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
8 replies since June 28 2000, 21:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net