Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Desert Island Vocals, You're Never too Far< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 31 2021, 00:21

The beginnings of this thread are elsewhere, but in the interest of tidiness I'm puttting it here.

It struck me that the line "we're never too far" can be interpreted in diametrically opposite ways. The first is in the sense of "we're always really close", but the second is "go away - I want you as far away as possible". It's pointless asking MO which interpretation is correct; given his love of ambiguity, he intends BOTH meanings - presumably on different time lines  :D
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 01 2021, 05:14

Although Mike is brilliant at most of what he does, even by his own admission, lyrics are not his strong point (He's no Mark Knopfler) so I tend not to read that depth into his lyrics, although some are more personal like on the Man on the Rocks album, the music and singing on this song is really good though.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 01 2021, 20:03

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ June 01 2021, 05:14)
Although Mike is brilliant at most of what he does, even by his own admission, lyrics are not his strong point (He's no Mark Knopfler) so I tend not to read that depth into his lyrics, although some are more personal like on the Man on the Rocks album, the music and singing on this song is really good though.

As a Ph.D in lit I can tell you that many of Mike's lyrics are excellent. As for his own admission, I imagine he's just being modest.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 02 2021, 04:26

I didn't say they were bad, just not his strong point.
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: June 06 2021, 11:21

Hello after a long time.

I get a sense that his lyrics are meaningFULL every time I listen to his songs. I don't know about their artistic value, and how could they ever rise up to the heights of his music anyway? he is not a poet.

I feel that there is something for me there to find out. They are an interesting puzzle.

We're never too far means we can always cover the distance, we always have the capability or chance to return, so don't worry. For me.
Profile PM 
4 replies since May 31 2021, 00:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net