Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Definitive version?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 01:13

Hello!  Thank you for having a forum full of such dedicated, knoweldgable people.

My mom introduced me to the album a few years ago, simply as a novelty that she remembered from her childhood.  I fell in love with it right away and it has been one of my favorite albums ever since.

The only Mike Oldfield CD I actually own a CD copy of is "TB2003".  I want to own the original, which I greatly prefer, on CD finally.  (I'm going to college next year and I'm buying my favorite albums and movies so I can take them with me and share them with everyone.)

Now, I looked and found what seemed like dozens of different editions, printings, pressings, imports, exports, masters, mixes, re-masters, etc.  What I'm interested in knowing is what release of Tubular Bells I on CD is the best?  I don't have any 5.1 system or special kind of CD stereo system.  I just want to know which edition or version of Tubular Bells I should buy that is the definitive version for the average listener.

It does intrigue me, though, that there are so many remasterings and remixings of the original.  How do they differ?  Are there any actual parts that are missing from some?  I read on here about drunken monologue that is missing, and an alternate version with talking over the Hornpipe part, and I also read about demo versions available... I feel really inadequate about my Tubular Bells knowledge when everyone else has heard all of this additional material... Is there an FAQ or something that covers everything about this album?

Thanks in advance, friends.

-Dain
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 03:22

Hey, hello!!
yeah, it's true that there are many versions of it, but, when reading your post, I'd just go for the original album, which is out on remastered cd. Just called Tubular Bells. I have one that has a couple of photo's of Mike in the booklet, but I believe they don't make these anymore, but just the 'remastered' version. Which just means that it's the same music, but with better sound quality (this is just for normal stereos, like yours). That's the best one to buy.

There are many other versions! I'll make a sort of list...
(If you like, others will explain more about this, because I have a bit knowledge, and some of this forum know a lot more!! )
- the version will a spoken Hornpipe can be found on the 4-lp/3-cd Boxed.
- There is an Orchestral Tubular Bells (don't bother with that haha)
- There is a live TubularBells on the album and DVD of Exposed.
- There is a picture disc of it, which I love, but that's just vinyl...
- There are of course TB2 and TB3, which are very good too. I know many people who like TB2 more than the original!

This may not be complete, but so for it's all I know  :laugh:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 05:14

Didn't they remove Viv Stanshall's spoken Sailor's Hornpipe from the remastered CD edition of Boxed?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 05:19

Quote (arron11196 @ Feb. 12 2006, 10:14)
Didn't they remove Viv Stanshall's spoken Sailor's Hornpipe from the remastered CD edition of Boxed?

Ye Gods! Is that really so?

WHY?
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 05:19

Hmmm... Didn't know that...
I only got the vinyl version of Boxed, and it's on there, but I never saw the cd version. Thanks, didn't know it was not on the cd version. You learn something new everyday ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 08:08

Well, it was only what I heard... I don't know it for sure. Perhaps someone with that version will happen upon this thread :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Dain Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 16:03

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Feb. 12 2006, 03:22)
There are many other versions! I'll make a sort of list...
(If you like, others will explain more about this, because I have a bit knowledge, and some of this forum know a lot more!! )
- the version will a spoken Hornpipe can be found on the 4-lp/3-cd Boxed.
- There is an Orchestral Tubular Bells (don't bother with that haha)
- There is a live TubularBells on the album and DVD of Exposed.
- There is a picture disc of it, which I love, but that's just vinyl...
- There are of course TB2 and TB3, which are very good too. I know many people who like TB2 more than the original!

Orchestral Tubular Bells and TB2 and 3 I have heard (though I can't imagine anyone liking either of those MORE).  I've also, of course, heard TB2003.

I'm very interested in this "Exposed" album/DVD.  Can someone give me more information about it?

And I'll do my best to find the spoke Hornpipe...
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 16:30

As far as I know, the drunk/spoken Sailor's Hornpipe is still on the Boxed CDs (but maybe it is missing in some editions as I have heard).

There's also the TB SACD wich contains the original stereo mix and the Boxed one. The stereo version on that version is playable on any standar CD/DVD player but the surround mix (Boxed version with the drunk hornpipe) is only playable on SACD players and compatible ones.
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 21:59

Quote (arron11196 @ Feb. 12 2006, 05:14)

There isn't any remastered version of Boxed on cd. only the first pressing as far as I know and it has the long version of Sailor's hornpipe on it as it was on the original 1976 Boxed mix.
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 22:05

I think you should go for the original 1973 version, remastered in 2000. The remix from Boxed is for collectors IMO and the remake from 2003 you can get later if you want for the fun of it.
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2006, 10:45

Quote (lostrom @ Feb. 17 2006, 05:05)
I think you should go for the original 1973 version, remastered in 2001.

Are you sure it wasn't remastered in 2000? At least that's what my copy says. Presuming we are taslking of the HDCD remaster which to my understanding is the most recent issue of the original album.

The HDCD remaster is also just a normal CD. On the other hand I'd steer away from the CD/SACD hybrid discs, although they're supposed to play on normal steroes this is not always the case. I've got some Can albums on hybrid discs and first I had to fight for an eternity with my stereo to get it to play them, and after it finally did it no longer played normal CD's (luckily I have two identical stereos). :p
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 04:32

Quote (arron11196 @ Feb. 12 2006, 11:14)

It's on the box I recived 6 month ago!
why would they remove it anyway? :/
There is the "Master Tubular Bells 2003 box set" where there is TB2003, 2,3 and a nice dvd with the tb2003 video clip!

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 05:05

Actually it's called The Complete Tubular Bells (despite not being precisely that). I thought the DVD was a bit lame though.
Profile PM WEB 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2006, 10:48

Quote (Sysiyo @ Mar. 04 2006, 10:45)
Quote (lostrom @ Feb. 17 2006, 05:05)
I think you should go for the original 1973 version, remastered in 2001.

Are you sure it wasn't remastered in 2000? At least that's what my copy says. Presuming we are taslking of the HDCD remaster which to my understanding is the most recent issue of the original album.

The HDCD remaster is also just a normal CD. On the other hand I'd steer away from the CD/SACD hybrid discs, although they're supposed to play on normal steroes this is not always the case. I've got some Can albums on hybrid discs and first I had to fight for an eternity with my stereo to get it to play them, and after it finally did it no longer played normal CD's (luckily I have two identical stereos). :p

Oh, sorry, of course I mean in 2000, nothing else. I've corrected the error. Thanks for pointing that out. :cool:
Profile PM 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: April 26 2006, 12:42

I have the "Remastered HDCD" version from Virgin in 2000, I think it's pretty good.
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 27 2006, 08:41

On CD the 1973 original.

However, I'm rather partial to the 1976 live version on the Elements DVD.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 27 2006, 09:39

TB 1973 is a classic...

TB 2003 for me is happier than the original,Part II was better developed in its structure,the guitars are all in tune(especially the Telecaster,used on the '73 version) and Mike's tecnhique is just ab fab...

I do like the rockier version from the Exposed CD/DVD  :cool:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: April 30 2006, 20:55

The orchestral has a "grandeur' feeling because of the power of the orchestra!
TB1973 has a very 70's feeling (for me).
As tati said tb2003 is a happier record.

And exposed is very differant, solos, jams, it's tb at its maximum rock'n'roll!

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 05 2014, 07:56

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ April 27 2006, 14:39)
TB 1973 is a classic...

TB 2003 for me is happier than the original,Part II was better developed in its structure,the guitars are all in tune(especially the Telecaster,used on the '73 version) and Mike's tecnhique is just ab fab...

I do like the rockier version from the Exposed CD/DVD  :cool:

Well said Tati, I really got to like Part 2 more after hearing it on TB2003, it's better played, clearer and Ambient Guitars is astounding, it was always to deep in the mix on the original album to really get into it.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 23 2022, 13:36

I only got the vinyl version of Boxed, and it's on there, but I never saw the cd version. Thanks, didn't know it was not on the cd version.
20 replies since Feb. 12 2006, 01:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net