Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: David Bedfords Stars End featuring Mike Reissued< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 16 2012, 05:52

David Bedford's album Stars End featuring Mike on guitar and bass has been remastered and reissued by Esoteric Recordings. The piece was recorded in Barking Town Hall (for its acoustic properties) in 1974 and an excerpt of it featured on the collaborations section of Mike's Boxed album.

Thanks Vicky

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 16 2012, 06:30

Nice to know. It's the only one of the Dave / Mike albums I only have on vinyl. But weren't they all remastered and reissued just a few years ago? Are those reissues out of print again?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 16 2012, 10:16

Quote (Holger @ May 16 2012, 12:30)
But weren't they all remastered and reissued just a few years ago? Are those reissues out of print again?

Not all but some:

Nurses Song With Elephant

Stars End

The Odyssey Live

;)

Edited by manintherain on May 16 2012, 10:17
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 16 2012, 12:49

I didn't even know there was an official release of The Odyssey Live!
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: May 23 2012, 06:56

Sorry, but remastering is just a way for the music industry to churn even more money out of you.

I presume when it was mastered the first time, the producer or artist would make it the best they could.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: May 23 2012, 16:16

Yes, by using the technology that existed at that time.

But technology has improved since then.

So listening to remastered recordings now once in a while makes my hairs stand up on back.

:cool:
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: May 24 2012, 05:37

Quote (HR lover @ May 23 2012, 06:56)
Sorry, but remastering is just a way for the music industry to churn even more money out of you.

I presume when it was mastered the first time, the producer or artist would make it the best they could.

For a long while I think that was true; remastering seemed to make no difference but the technology now is amazing and actually makes an audible difference in the mastering process.

Has anyone listened to the new release yet? I'd love to know what it sounds like.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Posted: May 24 2012, 16:04

Yes I have and I am really pleased with the quality that came out of it.

Remember that the crew behind the remasterings of David Bedford, Pierre Moerlens Gong and Tom Newman on Cherry Red Records are the same as for all the remastered Oldfield works that have turned up in the last couple of years.

;)
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: May 25 2012, 05:53

Yes, by using the technology that existed at that time.

But technology has improved since then.

So listening to remastered recordings now once in a while makes my hairs stand up on back.

Ah, technology schmechnology. My parents have an 80s television that is better than most of the televisions you can buy now.

LCD, Blu-ray, SACD, you name it, it is all one big trick into buying customers more stuff they don't need.

The Americans make cars that break every couple of year so you buy more cars.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 25 2012, 08:54

Quote (HR lover @ May 25 2012, 11:53)
Ah, technology schmechnology. My parents have an 80s television that is better than most of the televisions you can buy now.

LCD, Blu-ray, SACD, you name it, it is all one big trick into buying customers more stuff they don't need.

Excuse me? LCD screens are much better on the eyes than picture tubes since they don't constantly flicker. As an IT person, I am incredibly thankful for them.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: May 25 2012, 16:38

I totally disagree either.

:)
Profile PM 
10 replies since May 16 2012, 05:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net