Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Cut cut cut and it starts to sound better, trying to make some sense out of MFTB< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
starfish Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 20 2011, 17:39

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 20 2011, 17:05)
Like I said, producing vinyl records is profitable. Vinyl records! How many people buy vinyl records nowadays? Answer: enough for them to keep being produced.

At least we can agree on this point, although why vinyl remains popular in this day and age I'll never know.

The sound quality is never as good as can be achieved on CD (or FLAC, or DVD-Audio, or whatever your format of preference), they take up space, they're an absolute nightmare!

Relevant anecdote...

One of my favourite bands is a Welsh group called Feeder. They were reasonably famous for about three months in 2001, and are still going today, although their fanbase, sales and relevance has dwindled considerably in recent years.

One of their singles was released as a limited-edition vinyl (in some lurid colour, I seem to recall), which had an exclusive b-side, called 'Sex Type Drug' (no, really).

The problem was that lots of Feeder's fans would like to have this track on their iPods, yet Feeder themselves have never released it commercially on CD or official download - which is their right as copyright owners ;)

The only digital source for this song is a rare promo CD of which a few copies were pressed in Germany, which go for silly money on ebay.

Thankfully I managed to get myself a copy (I'm one of those completist collector sorts), and was able to transfer the track onto my iPod.

But that wasn't all. Because I'm a generous kinda guy (when I'm not losing arguments), I went on the main Feeder forum, and posted a password-protected link to a download of the song.

And I was happy to provide my fellow Feeder fans with the password for the download, providing they could give me photo evidence that that already owned the vinyl. I'm pretty strict like that, as you can imagine from the previous page of posts!

Suffice it to say - vinyls are more hassle than they're worth. Sure, you could go on about the collectibility and the artwork and the ambiance of listening to a crackly 45 on an old gramophone, but give me a digital copy any day of the week.

Long story short - it surprises me to this day how vinyls are still so popular. One of the great mysteries of the universe!
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: May 21 2011, 11:28

Is there a reason I'm being completely ignored on this thread?
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: May 21 2011, 13:43

Quote (Syd B @ May 21 2011, 11:28)

Who said that?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 21 2011, 22:54

Quote (starfish @ May 21 2011, 13:43)

Who said that?

:laugh:
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 22 2011, 17:57

Quote (starfish @ May 20 2011, 17:39)
The sound quality is never as good as can be achieved on CD (or FLAC, or DVD-Audio, or whatever your format of preference), they take up space, they're an absolute nightmare!

I think they are as close as you can get to having a physical version of music. CDs and digital files merely record a representation of sound, whereas a vinyl disc has the music carved into it. It's roughly like having an ancient etched stone table instead of having a photograph of one. But that's way too much into the "mystical" side of it, and I don't follow that like very much. I enjoy LPs, but I would never swap my digital files for them.

Now THIS? This is a dream.

Regarding the "future" of music, I witnessed a very interesting scene yesterday. My theatre colleagues (I'm merely a student, not a professional, mind) were talking about a recently formed rock band from my country that happened to post a video on YouTube and became popular nearly overnight; the girl said her friends had posted the video on their respective Facebooks, and the thing just grew huge.

This is what I'm talking about. Of course, the band certainly had a greater edge over the others because they had enough funding to make a video. But this "channel" of distribution is something completely novel, and people are learning to use it -- both listeners and musicians. Of course there are many people who still only listen to the radio and buy big corporation singles, but the tendency is there, and it's rising.

I think what we need, essentially, is enthusiasm. We have a future ahead of us, and it's up for us to make it. Let's accept it with enthusiasm and make the best of it, encouraging musicians who are posting free music for the love of it (*plug*cough*plug*), and the ones that want to make a decent living out of it through legal, ethical and creative means, and let's cut out the slavery and the indecency as much as we can.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 22 2011, 23:51

What I find interesting is that the idea of self-publishing in music (being an "indie") is quite respectable, but is frowned-on in literature. And yet the traditional bookselling/publishing industry is crumbling... Angus and Robertson went under last month.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: May 24 2011, 14:09

Quote (starfish @ May 21 2011, 13:43)

Who said that?

:D  :D  :D  :D
Profile PM 
46 replies since May 09 2011, 10:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net