Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Cue Clarification, first two tracks have me confused< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 04 2007, 20:25

I find the first couple of cues rather confusing. Since I am unfamiliar with the material there (from QE2, I believe), I'm wondering where - timewise - each piece begins and ends. It's not really important to my enjoyment, just niggling curiosity on my part. If anyone would provide a time listing for this, that would be wonderful. Of particular interest to me is the lovely tune from around 5:05 to 7:00. What piece is that from?

I am working on expanding my MO CD collection. QE2 wasn't part of my last order, but hopefully on the next. :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: May 05 2007, 03:52

Hiya Sweatpea!

The track listings on this DVD are a bit misleading, I'm 'fraid. The first track (labelled "Intro" on the DVD) is an cracking mix of Taurus I (from QE2) and themes that were later to form parts of Taurus II (from Five miles Out) - in fact, for me, the Montreaux track provides a fascinating insight into how TII evolved from T1 - it's the missing link!

The excerpt you mentioned, between 5:05 and 7:00 (which is echoed between 11:00 and 15:00 ) is an embryonic version of "The Deep Deep Sound" section of Taurus II. You'll get to hear the polished version, if you add "Five Miles Out" to your CD wishlist - It's generally considered one of Mike's finest albums, and you get to hear "Deep Deep Sound" with lyrics too!

The last bit of Track one (15:15 onwards) is Sheba from QE2, and track two, in it's entirety, is Mirage, from the same album.

Hope This Helps,

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 05 2007, 14:21

The first track (labelled "Intro" on the DVD) is an cracking mix of Taurus I (from QE2) and themes that were later to form parts of Taurus II (from Five miles Out) - in fact, for me, the Montreaux track provides a fascinating insight into how TII evolved from T1 - it's the missing link!
So, it's a historical record documenting the "Taurus" evolution? This footage is even more special than I'd realized.

The excerpt you mentioned, between 5:05 and 7:00 (which is echoed between 11:00 and 15:00 ) is an embryonic version of "The Deep Deep Sound" section of Taurus II. You'll get to hear the polished version, if you add "Five Miles Out" to your CD wishlist
Goodie! "Five Miles Out" should be arriving within the week. *does a dance*

The last bit of Track one (15:15 onwards) is Sheba from QE2, and track two, in it's entirety, is Mirage, from the same album.
I wish I hadn't waited to order "QE2". Then again, I do like to have exclusive one-on-one time with each of his albums. Kinda like a new love affair.

That was very helpful, Tony. Thanks!

ETA

Silly me! I actually did order QE2, after all. Should get here along with Five Miles Out. :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 14 2007, 18:19

Just an update to add that I'm very glad I bought both the QE2 and Five Miles Out albums - they're wonderful!

--------------
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2008, 19:38

Quote (Sweetpea @ June 14 2007, 18:19)
Just an update to add that I'm very glad I bought both the QE2 and Five Miles Out albums - they're wonderful!

Agreed.  I bought them both on CD a couple of weeks ago and have enjoyed "re-discovering" them immensely, especially QE2 (and Five Miles Out was better than I remembered).
Profile PM 
4 replies since May 04 2007, 20:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net