Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Crises remix screenshot< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 28 2013, 09:42

Mike has posted a screenshot of the Pro Tools session for the Crises remix on Facebook. He says:

Hi Everyone,

Here is a screenshot of my studio Mac with "Crises" long instrumental all labelled and ready to mix.
I have started putting some automation down and it's so great to work in 5.1 as there is so much more room for all the sounds in that lovely big space. I was working on Moonlight Shadow 5.1 last night and that's easy to mix and everything is sounding amazing. The folks at the archiving company are having a bit of trouble finding the old masters of Taurus 3 and Foreign Affair but they have 2 mysterious big reels of Ampex tape in the oven so hopefully those tracks will be found.
Shadow on the Wall will be the long version.
Will keep you up to date and all the best.
Love Mike
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 28 2013, 14:08

this sounds great, very interested in the mystery reels.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2013, 07:53

What happens if they cant find the missing bits ?
Needle drop !!
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 29 2013, 08:12

Quote (spark @ Mar. 29 2013, 12:53)
What happens if they cant find the missing bits ?
Needle drop !!

Nah, by Crises they would be mixing down on to something digital (Crises originally came out on CD at the same time as the vinyl and cassette didn't it?) so they would at least have that to work from.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2013, 08:32

I do find it strange that masters go missing .
Like you said Matt, these recordings have already been released on cd.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2013, 10:16

Quote (spark @ Mar. 29 2013, 08:32)
I do find it strange that masters go missing .
Like you said Matt, these recordings have already been released on cd.

I think they can't find multitracks master tapes (not stereo) for 5.1 remixing, as FMO and Crises albums are planned to be entirely (i hope) remastered and remixed in 5.1, so they are looking only for that two multitracks to complete the work. I think the past remasters were done from stereo masters and original multi tapes could be hard to find as were not been used from the long time.

However i hope they will find the tracks at last, because i cant wait to hear the new remasters, especially FMO album and Taurus II :)
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2013, 11:47

i´m most hopeful they find those masters. Anyway the important to me is, that fmo-tapes is there. Hopefully along with some of those singles sent out in the early 80´s, and then ofcourse whatever they can make out of crises. As the record have been put out on cd, even remastered, there must be a master of some kind some where, but maybe they have to chek with virgin. We can´t have half a crises, or there will be a crises (sorry, couldn´t help it)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2013, 12:47

"Dumbass-01"  :laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2013, 03:45

It is so exciting to see this! I always wanted to see some of his compositions like this, to see the details of the arrangements!

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2013, 05:35

Quote (bob the screamer @ Mar. 30 2013, 03:45)
It is so exciting to see this! I always wanted to see some of his compositions like this, to see the details of the arrangements!

Exactly! I have the same thing! By listening to 5.1 mixes you can clearly hear tracks that are barely audible in stereo mixes, so you can hear those tracks under another angle. When Platinum and QE2 was released as standard stereo remasters i was very disappointed, and i was sure that next albums will be also just stereo remasters. So when Mike announced that he is working on 5.1 mixes of FMO and Crises, that was like revelation to me :). Of all 5.1 mixes i'am waiting for the FMO the most to discover hidden sounds! :) I wish i would have all the albums as separately 24 tracks to hear - something like was with Tubular Bells contest, when they shared all of the tracks of the piece.
Profile PM 
sikejsudjek Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2013, 13:26

Excellent, I really like the 5.1 mixes. Any news on Amarok ?
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2013, 13:53

Quote (sikejsudjek @ Mar. 30 2013, 13:26)
Excellent, I really like the 5.1 mixes. Any news on Amarok ?

Oh come on. Mike is working on so much stuff and you are asking news about Amarok? :)
I am sure it will be in couple of years. We'll just have to wait for other albums first etc...
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2013, 17:49

Quote (equinoxe @ Mar. 30 2013, 11:35)
By listening to 5.1 mixes you can clearly hear tracks that are barely audible in stereo mixes, so you can hear those tracks under another angle.

Ah, didn't think of it that way, I wasn't really interested in the 5.1 mix since I don't have a surround set-up. But this makes it interesting for sure.

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2013, 17:56

I'm always far far more excited about new music Mike is creating than the excitment I do have for stereo & 5.1 surround remixes :) .... BRING ON THE ROCK ALBUM MIKE !!
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2013, 02:27

Quote (bob the screamer @ Mar. 30 2013, 17:49)
Quote (equinoxe @ Mar. 30 2013, 11:35)
By listening to 5.1 mixes you can clearly hear tracks that are barely audible in stereo mixes, so you can hear those tracks under another angle.

Ah, didn't think of it that way, I wasn't really interested in the 5.1 mix since I don't have a surround set-up. But this makes it interesting for sure.

Well, you can play each channel separately on PC, and hear detailed sounds, that you never heard before in stereo mix. It's amazing thing to me, i can analize all separately tracks and almost feel like i'am in studio while recording album :) So sad i can't do it with Incantations, Platinum and QE2 :/.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: April 01 2013, 04:24

There is nothing wrong with Amarok. It's pretty much as good as it can be. Very high quality recording. No need to mess with it.
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 01 2013, 11:09

Quote (ian @ April 01 2013, 01:24)
There is nothing wrong with Amarok. It's pretty much as good as it can be. Very high quality recording. No need to mess with it.

It's about remixing not remastering. He could do like he did for the trumpet in Ommadawn, emphasize some tracks, that gives us an interesting alternate mix. But I'd have added a mention that it's a different mix on the cover.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: April 01 2013, 11:35

Quote (Olivier @ April 01 2013, 11:09)

It's about remixing not remastering. He could do like he did for the trumpet in Ommadawn, emphasize some tracks, that gives us an interesting alternate mix. But I'd have added a mention that it's a different mix on the cover.

I think, Amarok has so clear and exact sound (comparing to his early albums), that most of instruments are clearly audible so imho new mix wouldn't change much. But ofcourse 5.1 mix could be amazing.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: April 01 2013, 15:07

Quote (equinoxe @ April 01 2013, 11:35)
Quote (Olivier @ April 01 2013, 11:09)

I think, Amarok has so clear and exact sound (comparing to his early albums), that most of instruments are clearly audible so imho new mix wouldn't change much. But ofcourse 5.1 mix could be amazing.

I totally agree. Apart form it being a different mix... different choices in mixing... I don't see how Mike could improve the sound quality. It was after all the first fully digitally recorded album if I am correct.

For some 5.1 is a big candy though. :)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 02 2013, 02:22

What I like most about this, is Mike is being more vocal with the fans :) we are getting lot's more direct contact from him now than ever. Just need him to sort out his official website now.
Profile PM 
30 replies since Mar. 28 2013, 09:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net