Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Crises remix screenshot< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 02 2013, 05:58

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ April 02 2013, 02:22)
What I like most about this, is Mike is being more vocal with the fans :) we are getting lot's more direct contact from him now than ever. Just need him to sort out his official website now.

It is good he updates listeners (I don't class myself as a fan, just a lover of music, although my Mum made me a T-shirt with "I'm A Mike Oldfield Fan" 30 years ago. Never got over that ;-) But I find too many "fans" cluttering it up with their "Stars In Their Eyes" impressions of Mike. It must make him smile.
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 03 2013, 04:07

My worry (sort of) is that later on, certainly on TSODE, Mike was putting down extra guitar parts whilst bouncing a whole mix to stereo. I don't know at what point Mike started doing that though.

They'd have to use phase cancellation or something to extract those guitar parts from the finished stereo mix in order to remix it in 5.1.

Having said that, I know that an artist had to pull the vocals from a stereo mix for a 5.1 remix because the original vocals turned out to not be on the tape that had been carefully stored for almost 30 years.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 03 2013, 08:19

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ April 03 2013, 04:07)
My worry (sort of) is that later on, certainly on TSODE, Mike was putting down extra guitar parts whilst bouncing a whole mix to stereo. I don't know at what point Mike started doing that though.

I still can't figure out why on earth why one would employ that recording technique. I can understand if it sounded like a good idea in 1966.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ingresman Offline

Posted: April 03 2013, 13:59

even with 24 tracks you can run out really quick, e.g. for drums you often mic them as 2 above the, 2 room mic's base, snare and maybe 2 for symbols so there's 7 straight away. Pro tools gives you 92 tracks which still might not be enough!.
I'm really looking forward to Amarok 5.1 but for now FMO and Crises will do me.
Curious about the two reels though!, might even be incantations multies!
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: April 04 2013, 06:36

Quote (ingresman @ April 03 2013, 13:59)
Curious about the two reels though!, might even be incantations multies!

As well as Platinum or QE2! :)
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: April 04 2013, 10:22

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 29 2013, 12:47)
"Dumbass-01"  :laugh:

"Aaah"! :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: April 06 2013, 04:59

amarok is a couple years away. first we have to put up with a lot of popmusic fored by virgin records. in between five miles out and Amarok it goes way to soft and much to popmusic. a relief that there are the wind chimes on islands, which just may be one of the highligts of the 80´s oldfield. A shame we have to put up with Earth Moving and heavens open, because they are forced just to get out of a bloody bad recordingdeal. Still i buy the deluxe editions of those ones, just to look at the notes to see, what kind of pressure mike was under, and still it is after all mike oldfield records.
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: April 06 2013, 08:44

just looked at facebook. what a picture, hopefully it will make the covernotes of crises. still a bit concerned about those tracks gone, but as i see it, Mike has some time and his hand full already. Looking forward to the albums.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: April 06 2013, 08:53

Well, i think there is quite a lot of good music from Mike between Crises and Amarok albums as The Lake, TKF soundtrack (Love it! ), Wind Chimes or PITD and Shine singles. Really great tunes!

Earth Moving...yeah it's the most pop album from Oldfield (and sooo 80's, but also sooo different:) ), but what's i like about this album, is Mike's started to use of the 'meow' sounding guitar (wchich you can hear for example on the end of The Bridge To Paradise, and on other tracks), wchich he developed as one of his most recognizable guitar sound on later albums. It's no doubt i'll buy all new remastered albums, because i really like everything Mike ever recorded. His guitar playing style is very emotional, no matter if this is complicated prog-rock or a simple pop track - everything just great.

What about the FMO and Crises remasters, it would be really amazing when we could get additional CD's with live shows, but i don't know if we can expect this (additional 4'th disc)?. I listen to Wembley Arena concert from the Platinum remaster really often, great show!
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: April 15 2013, 15:12

oh i forgot the lake & the wind chimes. overall Island maybe a better album than crises and discovery, but not as good as five miles out. We´ll see what the next couple of years will bring us (incl the rockalbum)
Profile PM 
Fleece Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2013, 17:58

New here with 1 question. Waiting on getting the Crises box set. I just wanted to try and clarify something.

Mike has gone to a lot of bother to get the multi tracks and clean them up and do a 5.1 mix. I was wondering why not bother doing a new stereo mix since everything was done and dusted? Would've been nice if 1 disc was a remaster
original and the other a new stereo mix. Anyone know?

Crises was such an important album in my teenage years.
Can't wait to hear it remastered :)
Profile PM 
30 replies since Mar. 28 2013, 09:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net