[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: crises is the best mike`s album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
andjel1 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 22 2001, 22:23

Brilliant album!
Crises is the best Mike`s long composition,and Taurus 3 is one of the best Mike`s short instrumentals.Moonlight shadow and Shadow on the wall-great rock songs.Foreign affair and In high places-wonderful techno-pop songs(especially Foreign affair is beautiful.The best Mike`s song.Mike and Maggie what a duet!).And one question:What is the correct text of Crises?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 22 2001, 22:58

There is some great stuff on Crises. I reckon Mike and Simon Phillips made a great partnership...

The lyrics that are sung by Mike on Crises are published on the tubular web lyrics page. They aren't, however, the same as what I hear...

Here they are in my altered form:

Crises, crises - you can't get away
Crises, crises - I need you on my side 'cause there's a crises.*
And you can't get away
(x3)

Make an appointment to the next dawn
In the winter's rain and storms

The watcher and the tower
Waiting hour by hour.

There's a breach in the security
A disturbance in tranquility

Waiting hour by hour.

* - "there's a crises" isn't gramatically correct. The word he sings here is, however almost certainly "crises", in my view - I just can't see anyone singing the word 'crisis' with such a long 'e' type sound instead of the 'i'.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2002, 21:42

Here are the lyrics is iv'e seen them, and as I have them in my page, Punkadiddle.

Crises, crises - I need you on my side 'cause there's a crises.*
And you can't get away
(x3)

Take a walk until the next dawn
In the winter rain and storms

Waiting hour by hour.

There's a breach in the senerity
A desterbance in the tranquility

etc,etc

Visit www.global.net.au/~holmangp

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 23 2002, 16:10

Seems like we mostly agree, in that case...but...

Though it does sound like he sings 'senerity', it's a word that, to my knowledge, doesn't actually exist (though I'll admit that my dictionary doesn't contain absolutely every word in the English language...).

I imagine we're thinking of the same word with disturbance/desterbance, but I may be wrong...disturbance is the only one that there's a dictionary entry for, as far as I'm aware.

An alternative line to "There's a breach in the security" has been "There's a bridge into seniority". The breach in security makes more sense to me, in the context - it couples with a disturbance in tranquility (with the image being of somebody - or something - having broken in and upset the state of peace).

You're right about the 'take a walk until the next dawn' bit - the 'make an appointment' line makes very little sense (and also whatr's on the album doesn't sound like it...), and I have a feeling I simply copied it from the lyrics online without bothering to check/alter it. Good you brought that to my/our attention...
Profile PM 
Shingebis Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2002, 09:48

Well, I've got a reputation for mis-hearing lyrics, but I'm quite sure that line is "security" - I'm finding it difficult to hear it as anything else.

Maybe the word you're looking for is "serenity"? It doesn't sound like that in the slightest bit, though...
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 07:01

Yes, I just heared it properly "A breach in the security" cool. I never heared it like that before. But I'm sure I;m right now. And yes, I did mean disturbance Korgscrew. I have a habit of not speling thins proprely wink

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 22 2002, 18:18

About the Crises or Crisis spelling on that,in Portuguese we say 'crises' which means in english 'crisis'.

I love the title track,especially the 'the watcher and the tower' part.
Fantastic.Cool soundtrack for the sunset/early night,IMO.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
mig Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2004, 07:01

First Mike´s lp which i listened was Crises...and nothing was same after that . And yes...think too that Crises is mike´s best ... so far... :laugh:
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: July 31 2005, 11:18

Personally I don't agree that Crises is all that good an album. I absolutely love the title track, can be both powerful and tranquil, very moving. Moonlight shadow is nice but not much more. In high places is light and airy if not lame. Foreign affair is criminally mundane in every aspect, I like the first 30 seconds or so, wish it would stop then! Taurus III is a good fun track which is one of the things that I love about Mike's music, Shadow on the wall is ok but an odd way to end an album IMO.

All in all I'd give the album 7/10, without Crises 4/10

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 08:47

ok, after listening to it alot recently I agree that Crises (the track not the album) is in the top 1 for Mike's best long compositions, Amarok, Ommadawn and Tubular bells tie it! I don't really like Mike's pieces with words in on the whole but I shall say that the words in the first 2 tracks are ok, goes very well with the title track but the others are just 'much a do about nothing' if I may say so ;)

So overall, Crises has great tunes and crisp, clinical sound quality that betters his earlier works  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 26 2007, 14:30

I listen to "Crises" quite a lot; it's an awesome piece of music. The album itself, though, doesn't feel as complete to me as Five Miles Out. "Foreign Affair" is not one of my favorite songs and I don't care for "Shadow on the Wall". I don't get a sense of cohesion with this album - no linking element between the pieces. I haven't studied the lyrics, though, so I may just be missing the message(s). On the strength of "Crises", "Moonlight Shadow", "In High Places", and "Taurus 3", I consider this a great album - more so than Discovery, Islands, and Earth Moving which followed. But it's not on my 'favorite five' list.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 23:05

Hmm - Crises is the latest purchase in my belated "reDiscovery" - pun intended - of Mike's albums.  Will let you know what I think after I have had a listen.

I had it "back in the day" on LP but can't recall it all that well, seem to remember I was a little disappointed at the time - will see what 20-odd years have done to the ears.

---- runs off and listens -----

OK - just had a listen: 20-odd years and I still have the same opinion.

The title track is pretty good; the vocals don't quite work for me, but the drumming towards the end and the finale are tremendous.

The songs (for me) are a mixed bag, I love Moonlight Shadow, always have.  In High Places is interesting, but I guess I am one of the few who prefer Shine.  The other two are OK (bit like most of Earth Moving to my ears - OK but not great).

Taurus 3 is an odd, but entertaining, little coda to its bigger brothers.

Overall, enjoyable, but not one of the top 10 on my list (which I will put together when I have finished buying and listening).
Profile PM 
HUALCA Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 22:28

test
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 08:16

I learned about Oldfield after hearing the number crises...
All though I don´t consider it the best album, it certainly is high on the score.
The beginning of the "second half" of the number crises (about 09.58 min. in) is just so fucking beautiful.. the synth and MO guitar just sweps me away... whenever I need to relax and be in a good mood..Crises 09.58 in...makes the trick   :)
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 08:59

Good point but the build up to the climax is amazing with all the percussion.Shows how amazing a drummer Simon Philips is.The bit immediate previous to this sounds to me very middle eatern and puts me in mind of a market square in a middle eastern town.Dunno why.But the album as a whole used to make me think of Star Wars Return Of The Jedi as i remember listening to it while reading the Marvel comics adaptation of the film.Hey i was only 9 years old guys.A very strange kid.
 The other point from a technical point is those tricky little guitar runs that lead up to the "Crises crises"bit.Finger knotiingly fiendish!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 08:47

Another album that has been gathering dust on my shelf for God knows how long. But gave it a spin today, and must confess to liking it a great deal. Not his best output of course but certainly a step up from the rather disapppointing FMO&QE2 (IMO)

didn't care much for "Shadow on the Wall" though, reminded me of Piltdown Man on TB for such strange reason.

"Crises" the track, is a resounding return to form for long compos: plenty of variety, tempos & Rhythms going on here - clearly Mike was enjoying himself with a veritable cornucopia of experimental sounds.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 14:36

No. But good.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
david0ff Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 18:43

The final synthe chords of "Crises" are so great I wish they would last for ever (btw I made a loop of it!;).

:D

--------------
But as we all know, endings are just beginnings...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 21:35

Quote (david0ff @ Mar. 10 2011, 18:43)
The final synthe chords of "Crises" are so great I wish they would last for ever (btw I made a loop of it!;).

:D

Those passages contain some of his cleverest writing, too. At first you don't realise that an earlier theme is there, but it is - in a kind of pointillist fashion.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2011, 09:40

I've never liked Crises - the title track is okay, and I can't stand the rest of the songs.
Profile PM 
31 replies since June 22 2001, 22:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net