Group: Members
Posted: July 17 2013, 17:44

There is now a "regular" deluxe version up on Amazon:

Crises deluxe 2-disc
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2013, 10:39

So a member at the Quadraphonic Quad forums says they got their Crises Deluxe set in and the 5.1 mix of the album is available in both Dolby Digital 5.1 and dts 24/96 5.1 which is great that there is at least some change from previous releases, however it remains to be seen whether it's full bit-rate dts which would be something worth cheering about.
Profile PM WEB 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2013, 03:45

Quote (dobyblue @ Aug. 30 2013, 10:39)
So a member at the Quadraphonic Quad forums says they got their Crises Deluxe set in and the 5.1 mix of the album is available in both Dolby Digital 5.1 and dts 24/96 5.1 which is great that there is at least some change from previous releases, however it remains to be seen whether it's full bit-rate dts which would be something worth cheering about.

OMG!!! Absolutely freakin' BRILLIANT!!!!

Both CRISES and FIVE MILES OUT in DTS 96/24 5.1! :D

I am due to receive my copy in the mail TODAY so I will be sure to check out and post on here confirmation of whether or not this is indeed full bit-rate dts (i.e. 1536 Kbps)

I have been bracing myself to become disappointed (again! ) when my copy arrives in letterbox today to discover only LOSSY DOLBY DIGITAL... :/

So AMAZING NEWS that FINALLY the studio has listened to mine and the other fine ladies and gentlemen complaining about DD only! :D

THANK YOU studio for listening to us fans!!! :)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE release ALL future Deluxe titles in DTS 96/24 5.1 (and NOT just LOSSY DOLBY DIGITAL! )  ;)
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2013, 19:21

For nearly 30 years I have been waiting to see the Wembley footage.
I was at the gig and have dreamt about somebody finding the footage.And now I have finally watched it .....
There is a well know saying "Careful for what you wish for"....
Ouchhhhh!!!!!!....
I was about 40 rows back and much younger and had this thought that it was the best gig I ever went to.....
The harsh reality was painful.....
MO looks lost in the band.... its the most "soulless band" Ive seen him with...a band with totally unsympathetic feel for the music....
I nearly switched it off, cos of the "angus Young" antics of ANT.....I know its the 80s when big hair metal was all the rage, but not in MO music....the whole band is trying to ROCK
it up and its painfull, you also have Phil Spalding, giving some
crazy looks and antics, that MO greets with a blank look....
Compare this to the Platinum/QE2 line up...and live footage.
There is a lovely feel and empathy for the music.
I remember MO saying that around this time he felt that the live versions had turned into something that it was not meant to be.
PAINFULL, and I think Ill keep that DVD in its case, and pretend that its still lost and try to forget,I ever saw it and remember it as magical.
BIZZARE.....
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2013, 14:48

Had this arrive saturday and still working my through both box sets.On first listen I do like the 5.1 mix of crises and in high places(just wish that song was longer without jon Anderson on it )But the strange one for me is foriegn affair,I can't work the mix out don't know if it's my sound system but it just seems a total mess.
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2013, 14:44

Quote (Bell Boy @ Sep. 02 2013, 19:21)
I was about 40 rows back and much younger and had this thought that it was the best gig I ever went to.....
The harsh reality was painful.....
MO looks lost in the band.... its the most "soulless band" Ive seen him with...a band with totally unsympathetic feel for the music....

I too was at that gig, again around 40 rows back but I'd reached Bell Boy's conclusion at the time rather than 30 years later.  My overriding memory of the concert was seeing Ant headbanging to almost everything he played - his hair was one of the few things you could see from that far back!!

I think the problem was that we'd been spoiled up to that point.  MO had previously built up a core of good musicians and, critically, the other guitarists playing with him complemented him rather than competed which seems to be the situation here.  Also, the live Oldfield had, to that point been very different to the studio Oldfield - as the band got more and more stripped down, his guitar improvisations got more prominence and we were treated to some absolute gems.  I think that it was Phil Spalding who, at the Reading Convention earlier this year, made the point that MO would use certain musicians for a while and then move on which may explain why most of the usual suspects were absent on this and subsequent tours.

The writing was probably on the wall at that stage.  After all, in the 30 years that followed, we've only really had two tours (1984 & 1999) and a few one-offs.  Thankfully, the early concerts can again be enjoyed thanks to the deluxe reissues and other DVDs but I do fear that, in the unlikely event that MO decides to tour with a band again, it'll be another dose of session musicians and backing tracks.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2013, 09:09

Well, what can I say. I've been waiting for this 5.1 remix of Crises for a few years now and it's nearly as good as I wanted it to be except for a couple of howlers.

Why oh why did he mix in that synthetic shaker pattern at the start of the slow section after "Watcher and the Tower" ??! It sounds horrible and completely ruins the mood and effect, it really jars :(

I've a good mind to break out Audacity, drop that section in from the remastered stereo mix and bounce it all back down again.

Don't mind that he's chopped out the section after the introduction although I missed it at first...

But it does lack a little "oomph" for want of a better word..?

And as for the end of Moonlight Shadow, that's the most ungraceful ending I've ever heard, just *CHOP*. Ughh!! I guess I'll have to fix that as well :)

It sounds like for In High Places, he's left everything up from the start whereas the original mix doesn't introduce the drums and other rhythm backing until the second verse so it's not any shorter, just the first verse isn't stripped back. I quite like it.

I like the Foreign Affair mix a lot, there's nothing wrong with Taurus III and the extended version of Shadow on the Wall is great, excellent to have all those extra guitar solos :D
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2013, 18:05

Quote (pauken @ Sep. 09 2013, 09:09)
It sounds like for In High Places, he's left everything up from the start whereas the original mix doesn't introduce the drums and other rhythm backing until the second verse so it's not any shorter, just the first verse isn't stripped back. I quite like it.

My copy is in transit so I haven't heard any of this yet.  Interesting to read everyone's comments though; I am very much looking forward to it.

This comment about In High Places surprises me. One of my favorite things about the original is the way the bass doesn't start until well after the drums do. It's a real hilight for me for some reason.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2013, 07:49

Oh MY! The double drumming of Simon Phillips and Pierre Moerlen at the end of Mount Teidi from the Wembley concert is fantastic!!! My two favourite drummers of all time, it's wonderful :)
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2013, 18:17

It used to be very frustrating being an Oldfield fan in Australia before the internet. We only got to see him once and could only dream about some of the other tours. So after waiting 30 years for this I gravitated straight to the live DVD.

I was instantly surprised to see that the show was at night! I don't know why but listening to the Wembley bootleg I had always imagined that the occasion of the 10th anniversary of Tubular Bells would have been a major, daytime, outdoor event.

That must have been such a great show to see. Maggie Riley belts it out. Always loved that duet style ending of Family man with the family man himself. ;) Roger Chapman gives his mic stand hurling, tamborine mangling best on Shadow on the Wall.  Even when he's trying to be quiet it sounds like thunder.

Ant is definitely the right guitarist IMO. It's unusual to hear Mike playing alongside a guitarist of his own calibre and they sound amazing together.  The disciplined, intricate flourishes of Mike on one hand with Ant's Brit-rock-god Marshall stack on the other. Phil Spalding on bass, Pierre Moerlen. What a band, and what's not to headbang about?!

I had always thought that version of Woodhenge was live but listening to it now it sounds like it was the studio version coming out of the PA; and listening to the audience it sounds like the band takes the stage when the bells start.

It's a bit sad we only get video of two tracks from that show.  I'd buy the whole thing if it was available regardless of the quality.
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2013, 10:31

Quote (pauken @ Sep. 23 2013, 13:49)
Oh MY! The double drumming of Simon Phillips and Pierre Moerlen at the end of Mount Teidi from the Wembley concert is fantastic!!! My two favourite drummers of all time, it's wonderful :)

What a pity that they (at least Simon P.) ruin it again at the "Crises"-drum section where Mr. Phillips is totaly out of time and tune. I don't have any problems with "headbanging" Ant G., though.  :cool:

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2013, 16:35

Yeah I agree, Simon Phillips ruins that trying to be too clever. It doesn't work.
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2013, 16:37

I was at the 10thAnn.wembley gig and it was amazing ...
BUt watching the DVD video, I find the head banging so out of place of the music.
Im so surprised how little of the solo guitar parts that MO takes.
Weird.????? Nerves,??? or confidence...???
ANT is a good guitarist, but there is no need for the head banging.... its not ACDC is it,.>
The tours 1980, and 81 saw the band slim down and MO had to cover all the guitar parts... and in the end that was what everybody was paying to see....not some session guy taking the lead parts.
In the end MO is at home in the studio, and there we cant complain.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2013, 03:16

Quote (Bell Boy @ Oct. 06 2013, 16:37)
Im so surprised how little of the solo guitar parts that MO takes.

That's because Ant is a better guitarist.  :p  (ducks)

Seriously though, Mike does take most of the lead parts in that concert. As far as the DVD goes Mike takes pretty much all the lead playing. Crises and Tubular Bells have several guitar harmonies, which is one of the great things about having two lead guitarists in a band.  The only time Ant gets the lead on the DVD is in Crises while Mike is having delusions of being a singer. I have a strat now so I must be like Mark Knopfler. :p

There's plenty of Ant playing lead in Taurus II, but a lot of that is because there are simultaneous lead parts; other times they take turns and I think that sounds great. They compliment each other in styles and also in the nature of the guitars; the single coil pickups of the strat vs the humbuckers on the SG. Makes it much more interesting than that wall of solid Mike you get when the other guitarist doubles as a bass player.

The other thing I don't like about that '81 setup is that when the guitar/bass player picks up a guitar the bass has to come from the keyboards.

As to Mike being more at home in the studio, even there he relied on the creative input of session players at times. I don't think that's a bad thing either, makes the result much more diverse.

Judging by the recent 5.1 mixes I don't think he's quite so comfortable spending long hours in the studio anymore. Sounds more like he's itching to get out of there.  Not criticising him for that. Mike has already contributed more than his fair share of the greatest music in the soundtrack of my life.

I must pull him up about those "unplugged" mixes though. I absolutely love them, especially Shadow on the Wall and I'd like more like that; but seriously, strats and synths are not acoustic instruments... Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word "unplugged" that I wasn't previously aware of.

:p
Profile PM 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2013, 07:03

Quote (First_Excursion @ Oct. 07 2013, 09:16)
I must pull him up about those "unplugged" mixes though. I absolutely love them, especially Shadow on the Wall and I'd like more like that; but seriously, strats and synths are not acoustic instruments... Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word "unplugged" that I wasn't previously aware of.

I was thinking the same at first - there's also some Fairlight at least on Moonlight Shadow and Roland VP330 strings on Shadow On The Wall. But Mr Oldfield is not the first to stretch the term "unplugged" a bit so I don't care really... ;)

I quite like those mixes but like in most of the other new mixes I get the impression again that Mr Oldfield seems to have lost his "good ear" for sound balance somehow. At least to my ears the main guitar solo in Moonlight Shadow is far too loud which, together with the abrupt ending, gives at least the last minute of the otherwise very nice and smooth mix quite an "amateurish" touch. This is not the first time that something like this happens - there are strange technical flaws in most of the other new mixes as well which IMHO make them at least technically inferior to the original mixes (good examples are the incredibly loud bagpipes on the 5.1 mix of Taurus II, the totally over-the-top double speed guitar strumming on Hergest Ridge 1, one build-up section in Ommadawn 1 which loses all bass and half the volume at the climax etc., the "phasing" on Orabidoo 5.1 etc).

Back to "Crises": I think the mix of "Mistake" is different to the one on "The Complete" and the german 12" - did anybody else notice that as well?

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 
verjan2 Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2013, 11:02

Why is not the track Rite Of Man on Crises deluxe version?
Profile PM 
Nexus6 Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2014, 07:51

Quote (First_Excursion @ Sep. 11 2013, 04:05)
Quote (pauken @ Sep. 09 2013, 09:09)

My copy is in transit so I haven't heard any of this yet.  Interesting to read everyone's comments though; I am very much looking forward to it.

This comment about In High Places surprises me. One of my favorite things about the original is the way the bass doesn't start until well after the drums do. It's a real hilight for me for some reason.

I think "In High Places" on disc 5 (5.1 version) is a "defect" . If you listen carefully there are 2 strange "clicks" before Jon starts singing and to be honest it really sounds like the beginning is missing... What do you think?
Profile PM 
Nexus6 Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2014, 14:18

Hi All,

Crises Deluxe Box Disc 5 is faulty, got this today from Universal:

Hello ,

Thank  you for your email.

Please accept our apologies for the fault you have experienced with your purchase against order .

I can confirm that this issue has been addressed as a manufacturing fault. We now have replacement discs onsite so I will arrange for a new copy to be sent in the post this evening.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards

Lee-Ann Prior
Customer Service Advisor
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 01 2014, 18:10

Quote (mindphaser @ Oct. 07 2013, 11:03)
I quite like those mixes but like in most of the other new mixes I get the impression again that Mr Oldfield seems to have lost his "good ear" for sound balance somehow. At least to my ears the main guitar solo in Moonlight Shadow is far too loud which, together with the abrupt ending, gives at least the last minute of the otherwise very nice and smooth mix quite an "amateurish" touch.

It's of course hard to be sure about these things without actually sitting in Mike's chair, but there are things about the way his monitors are set up which really make me wonder how accurate a picture he's getting of what's going on in his mixes. In relation to Moonlight Shadow, I wonder if the fact he's got his centre speaker higher than the others has given him an inaccurate midrange response, leading to him thinking that guitar solo wasn't as far forward as it is. I think he's also possibly missed a trick there, in that keeping the vocals in the centre speaker then placing the guitar solo in the phantom centre between from L-R would have helped stop them conflicting when they're intertwining with each other towards the end. I think the centre speaker is a really tricky one in 5.1 music mixes anyway, people often have them optimised for film dialogue, so they're turned up louder than the others, and sometimes they're something which has been chosen because it fits under the TV rather than that its sound blends well with the others...so putting something like a loud guitar solo in there is taking a big risk, really!

I think it's a great shame there seems to be nobody there to say "That's a great first try, Mike, but can we just go back and have another look at a few things?", because I think it's something which everyone needs if they're going to produce high quality products. It's just too easy to get tired and overwhelmed without even fully realising it, and that's when things start getting missed, and questionable decisions start getting made.

Mike's music, with its many layers, is really well suited to being mixed in 5.1, but I think there's a danger of these mixes becoming less than the essential listening which I'd hope Mike wants them to be.
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2014, 06:26

I have to agree that 5.1 mixing is so hit and miss.
Ive been doing 5.1 mixing for over 10 years and its a great format.
BUT it has so many flaws for the person ,mixing and the listener, as no two monitoring systems are the same.
And this is essential for the 5.1 mixes to translate and travel from the mixer to the listener.
As you say so many people mess with their listening set ups, and -place the speakers are varying distances, this impacts so much on the levels that the mixer has placed instruments at.
Its such a shame and one of the reasons that 5.1 for music hasn't really caught on.
So its hard to blame MO for the strange levels in these mixes.
BUT some of the horrid edgings, on some of the CRISES 5.1 mixes are unforgivable.
Profile PM 
39 replies since June 23 2009, 16:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net