Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Crime of passion, My thoughts, your thoughts, etc< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
J1Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 04 2012, 11:15

Wow. Just wow. Just a few days ago I was discovering some old MO tracks I hadn't heard yet (you might have gathered this from my tireless onslaught of posting recently), and when I heard this it screamed 'I miss you mum'. Then I watched the music video and the screaming just got louder.

Here is the link to the music video.

My interpretation of the visuals is this (feel free to disagree and/ or discuss! ) ;
Firstly, you got the childrens toys who's symbology is pretty obvious I think- to your mother you always feel a bit like a child and that is comforting in a way. I think the swing and the soldier are similar symbols also.
Then you have the mechanical way MO is playing. I think this is symbolising how, after his mothers death, things just became a procedure to be executed rather than, well.. life. I'm sure anyone who has experienced the death of a loved one will know that feeling of emptiness, and I think you can really see that in his eyes (which to me is the most disturbing thing about the video).

As for the music itself, I think it's pretty obvious it's about losing his mother (and my suspicions were more or less confirmed by the fact that the image on the front of the single was of her) although the lyrics do sound a little like it might be a lover rather than a family member, as weird as that sounds.

*takes a breath*
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 04 2012, 14:44

Very interesting. I have to admit I've never given it that much thought. All I can say, after re-watching the video clip, is that the song is totally awesome and the video is totally weird.

You might be interested in this interview with Barry Palmer. He talks about the song and video there, among other things.
Profile PM 
J1Star Offline

Posted: April 04 2012, 15:10

I think that's a pretty fair summary of the music and the video. :P Thanks for the link! Reading now :]
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 05 2012, 03:29

CoP has always been my favourite Mike pop single..thanks for the interpretation...food for thought indeed...
Profile PM 
J1Star Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 13:42

It's tied first place with 'Tricks of the light' for me. Then 'To France' then Moonlight- er, I digress.

After reading that interview (which was extremely enlightening despite the bad grammar and spelling- on that note, was it translated into another language and then back again?), it would seem, according to Mr. Palmer anyway, that it was about MOs niece/ cousin who died young. Which I have to say, lyrically, makes more sense I suppose.
I guess it's got a bit of both of them in it- his mother and his niece/ cousin.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 14:09

I believe the interviewers' English just isn't that good. They're German.
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: April 28 2012, 05:46

I love that video, especially the way it was recorded slow and then sped up to normal speed.

In that respect, it's quite an influential video. Here's another one made in same 'sped-up' style...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbe-r0ZUE28&feature=plcp
Profile PM 
6 replies since April 04 2012, 11:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net