Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Cover versions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
rosko Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 09 2000, 07:21

What do all the people out there think are the best (and worst) cover versions of Mike's music?

Sometimes they can be cheesy and lame (like the Russian "To France") or bland and amatuerish (like some of the lost in static 18 tracks), but occasionally someone ends up making something which is faithful to the original and effectively performed in a new style (like Blind Guardian's heavy metal version of "To France").

I'm not saying that any of the covers are better than the originals (none of the ones I've heard are), but it's interesting to discuss which are better than others.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2000, 07:36

The TF heavy metal cover is nice...also the dance versions of Crime of Passion and TF that I found on Inky's site (interoz.com/raremike). I don't know about any other covers, except for the Italian DJ Prezioso, using the melody from Family Man for one of his singles...an ugly one. eek

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2000, 20:53

I personally think that TSODE (USA release) has the best cover. I like it better than its release in Europe. All the pictures in the CD cover are cool too.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2000, 02:49

IMO, the greatest cover ever made from a MO single, is Hall & Oates' Family Man. They have given another dimension to the song, and I must say that , in fact, I prefer these version redface

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
zinc Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2000, 16:20

Funny enough i was sunbathing on the Italian Riviera 2 days ago minding my business when on somebody's transistor radio started playing a disco version of crime of passion. I am sure this was a cover version and pretty awful too. Still having left my walkman behind in England it was a welcome reminder of the great man himself. Does anyone know who recorded it?

regards

Zinc
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2000, 17:15

That cover is by the Italian band Bamble B... a gifted backing vocalist and a DJ. To me it's not that awful, but of course that's my own personal opinion. wink

--------------
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2000, 00:08

tubularbills- We're not talking about covers as in the designs on the fronts of the albums. We mean covers as in other musicians doing their own versions of Mike's music.
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2000, 09:15

I too like the Hall & Oats version of Family Man, but I don't like the way they changed some of the lyrics - they create a different impression of the main character of the song.
eg.
"he looked her up and down,
she knew he couldn't decide if he should hold his ground"
"and I don't think I want it tonight"

The vocals are better than the original though. The singer sounds much more aggresive than Maggie did in the original which increases the impact of the song. But my favourite recording of FM is definately the live version from Clermont-Ferrand in 1983 - the singer (I don't know if it was Maggie or not) is pretty much screaming the lyrics near the end!

[This message has been edited by rosko (edited 09-17-2000).]
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2000, 22:32

I think Janet Jackson's "The Velvet Rope" is a pretty cool version of the "TB" theme, and I liked Mark Snow's fusion of The X Files theme and the Tubular Bells theme as "Tubular X" (although this was performed by Mike it wasn't written by him but by Mark Snow).

I must say though I have never heard any of the fanproduced covers so I don't know if I'm misssing out on anything there...

Originally posted by rosko:
I too like the Hall & Oats version of Family Man, but I don't like the way they changed some of the lyrics - they create a different impression of the main character of the song.
eg.
"he looked her up and down,
she knew he couldn't decide if he should hold his ground"
"and I don't think I want it tonight"

The vocals are better than the original though. The singer sounds much more aggresive than Maggie did in the original which increases the impact of the song. But my favourite recording of FM is definately the live version from Clermont-Ferrand in 1983 - the singer (I don't know if it was Maggie or not) is pretty much screaming the lyrics near the end!

[This message has been edited by rosko (edited 09-17-2000).]

Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2000, 04:46

Hi,
Tori Amos quoted TB Theme during one of her concert (song "Father Lucifer"), this was a great moment (ok, only if you love Tori Amos and Mike Oldfield wich is my case) This is not really a cover, but a very beautiful surprise ! I wish Tori will make a real cover of a MO'song !
Cheers wink

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2000, 01:35

If you want to hear fan covers, try
Lost in Static 18 http://static18.tubular.eu.org
or
the fan submissions by Amarok mailing list members http://reach.to/amarok

[This message has been edited by rosko (edited 09-19-2000).]
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2000, 04:07

Originally posted by rosko:
[B]If you want to hear fan covers, try
Lost in Static 18

Some great covers : Jungle Gardenia, MO Single and MO Medley.
IMO, the greatest cover ever made from a MO instrumental is Hubert Razack (Mind) Om. pt 1, but I'm repeating myself.

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2000, 15:22

I HATE it when people make covers of Mike's music. They sound terrible!!! Mike's music musn't be covered!!!!!

Like, I heard a dance version of TB (awfull!!!!) on a party (stupid party, didn't want to be there). That version was terrible, and I always like to scream to the DJ and say: "Hey a**hole!! Put out that cover of MO, and play the original!!!"

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 19 2000, 16:02

Hubert Razack's Om. pt.1 is IMO very good, and so is the Static 18 CD. Especially the last track by Billy Cheers. But WHO is Billy Cheers? I never heard about him anywhere else . The other musicians are featured on the Static 18 homepage, but not Billy Cheers. Can anybody help me? -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2000, 08:15

I think "Billy Cheers" is a joke...dating back to the Beatles' search for a Paul McCartney replacement...remember the Paul Is Dead story? Paul, according to that legend, died in a car accident and the Beatles thought about a contest to find a lookalike, a replacement...one Billy Shears won it. His name is even mentioned in the song "Sgt. Pepper"... smile Of course nothing of this is true.
So I think that the Static 18 team made a similar joke. But I also don't know who this name stands for. Maybe it means the whole team together!!

--------------
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 20 2000, 17:02

Thanks, Ugo. Concerning Paul McCartney, I only know he was presumed dead because he was bare-footed on the sleeve of Abbey Road. But I don't think that "Billy Cheers" means "all of the above". So WHO IS HE??? -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
15 replies since Sep. 09 2000, 07:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net