Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Cover Art for the DTS versions of the QUAD MIXES, DVD Cover Art Preview< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ekloef Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 02:24

Hello Everybody!

It has been a while since I posted here the last time...
I am currently working on some DVD Cover Art for the DTS versions of the QUAD Mixes that are out there. The ones that I have are "Tubular Bells", "Hergest Ridge", "Ommadawn" and "Exposed".
I thought I´d give you guys a little preview and at the same time ask if anybody has any / more information on these?
I had some info saved on my old computer but have unfortunatelly lost it. So any info on who did these and would be appriciated so I can get the proper credits on the covers.

REMEMBER these previews are NOT finished and might change before they are done. I have not started working on the backs yet but the previews gives you a little glance of what I am going for.

Comments are of course welcome and hopefully I will be able to finish these shortly... and then I will upload them to my little Cover Art webiste.
You can visit the website to seesome of the previous work I have done, there are no Mike Oldfield yet but some cover art for bands like Saga, Dire Straits, Marillion and more.

Cover Art by Robtch

I guess that is it for now and I am looking forward to hear from you guys!
Thanks for a great forum!
Robtch, Sweden

--------------
https://www.instagram.com/robtch/
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 08:47

Those look very professional, and the back covers complement the artwork very well in all cases. At first I thought this was going to be for something official. Nice work!
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 13:31

Thank you very much Holger!

It seems that my host for the images is limited in bandwidth, so I will try to find a new one as quickly as possible. So you can actually see the images.

Sorry for that...

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 13:59

ok. that is lovely and profecional indeed! :D
Im working with cover design too, but this is far from what i can manage to make! :)
Cool stuff! ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 21:54

Pls don't change anything!  :O
Those're fabulous...  :cool:
...but doesn't the official DTS logo always have a RED border?  ;)

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 03:54

Hello Velodynamic

Thanks for your reply and your kind words.
You might be right about the red DTS logo... I am not 100% sure.

But for these covers I think it would be a misstake to put the red ones on the front as they would stand out too much together with the rest of the colors. But I will think about it and try and see, you never know...

I can also take this opportunity to say that the images on the backs of the covers are not "cleared" yet. I will very soon get in touch with each photographer and ask for their permission to use them. I am pretty sure it won't be any problem, at least from my previous experience. The only time I had to remove an image was when it was actually owned by the company the photographer worked for.
This little "design project" I am doing will NOT be generating any money or be used for any commercial reason. So most of the time it is a nice way for them to promote their work and I always put up links to their other work on my site.

Thanks for now!
Robtch

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 17:09

Sorry for the off-topic...
Some time ago, a Spanish fan who posts here often (I think his nick is Spinne) sent me DTS mixes of Boxed. That one includes, of course, TB, HR and O in Quad-converted-to-DTS mixes. So, I would like to ask to ekloef: are these mixes the same ones you have? Considering that only one version of them is available, I definitely think so. :)

Also @ ekloef: do your DTS mixes have drop-outs here and there? Mine have some.
However, the Boxed mixes I have are on ordinary CDs, which decode to DTS through a DTS-equipped amp. They aren't DVDs...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2008, 04:13

Quote (Holger @ Jan. 18 2008, 08:47)
Those look very professional, and the back covers complement the artwork very well in all cases.

I agree with Holger on all points, here. Well done, ekloef.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2008, 08:42

Hello Ugo!

Yes, I believe have the same ones as you and yes I think "Spinne" might have something to do with these. I signed up for them on a webpage a long time ago, which I can not find now... but nothing ever happened there and I got mine from some torrents. So if Spinne is reading this maybe you would be kind and submit some more info or a link for me?

Yes, mine are CD:s as well. But I think I will go for the DVD format on the covers anyway, they get a little more exclusive feel which I think they deserve.
...maybe I can make some CD versions later as well.

I have not listened to them much at all, I do not even own a surround system...

Thanks everybody for your nice feedback, it makes it even more fun to sit down and work on the covers!
Robtch, Sweden

--------------
Profile PM 
Mark Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2008, 16:40

Beautiful covers, I look forward to them, and I congratulate you on such fine work.

Has anyone got a link to the DTS versions of Hergest Ridge and Exposed please?
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2008, 14:08

Hi everyone

I got mines in a CD Tree organized on the Taurus IV spanish mailing list. This distribution included DTS versions of Tubular Bells (the mix with the plane at the end), Boxed (from the CD version, so it is 3 discs not 4 as the LP) and Exposed. Later, there were some plans to organize an international CD tree to made them also available for fans in other countries. But finally, the tree was cancelled and there were distributed using Bit Torrent and adding the TB SACD mix in DTS (it should be the same as the one in Boxed but with clearer separation between the four channels). I also got this one in the torrent.

I recently have uploaded the Exposed DTS version here:
CD 1: http://www.badongo.com/file/7469478
CD 2: http://www.badongo.com/file/7484980
It will be available for a limited time.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2008, 15:54

Good work, ekloef  :)
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2008, 16:13

Thanks everyone!
Yes, Spinne, these are the same ones. I signed up for the tree but nothing ever happened. Getting them by torrent was really nice though. Even though I only have listened to them in stereo they sound reeeeeallyyyy nice. At least in my ears....

Well, I am gonna keep working one the covers for a while and when I get to the actual credits one them I will start "bugging" all you guys for more info again... : )

I am very glad to announce that I have gotten the "green light" from all photographers who are involved in this project so far. So the images on the backs will not change. The original image on "Exposed" has been replaced, by the request of the person behind it, but I managed to find an even better one so it all worked out nicely.

Thanks again and all your nice words gets me trying even harder to do better and finish faster.

Robtch, Sweden

--------------
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2009, 17:46

Bumping this post a little.

I have not been here in a loong time but thought I drop by to see if there is still any interest in these covers? Maybe I will plug the old computer in and finish what I have started...

Take care!
Robtch

--------------
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2009, 05:32

Hi Robtch

I think the covers are absolutely stunning and would be proud to add them to my MO collection at some point. Do keep up the great work!

Harry in USA
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2009, 06:21

Thank You!

I will try to finish them as soon as possible. I am very happy with the result so far and the feedback I have gotten ash been very inspirational.

As I have written in previous posts here I am totally open for suggestions, comment and any input I can get regarding these DTS-QUAD discs.

Take Care!
Robtch

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2009, 09:39

Just had a look at these.They do look very good.A couple of suggestions.Firstly the Exposed one should have as a booklet all the photos that were in the original LP release (so much better than the frankly crap booklet with the cd version)and secondly not sure about having Stonehenge on the back of the Ommadawn one.It's a hell of a way from Kington so not sure of the significance here.Nice photo of a very nice place though (although being from that area i may be a wee bit biased! ).As for clearing them i have loads of photos of the henge. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2009, 11:10

Thanks Caveman for your input.

The thought of booklets have crossed my mind. I believe I will concentrate on finishing the covers first though. Given that they have been "under productions" for so long now I better focus on them.

As for the suggestion on the Ommadawn cover and the Stonehenge picture I agree with you. I believe I saw an add for some school orchestra in New Zeeland who performed one part of Ommadawn as a concert and they used the Stonehenge image. If I remember correctly that was what got me thinking of using Stonehenge on the back.
I am happy with the Stonehenge image and think it kind of fits with the music but am open for suggestions. I might even do different versions...

When you mention Kington I am afraid I do not understand the link? I will Google it but feel free to educate me.

I took a look at my originals and saw that I will have to do a new scan of the image on the front of Exposed as is was very  low quality. I have get out the old Exposed on vinyl I guess.

Keep em coming and nice to be back on the forums again.
Robtch - Sweden :)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2009, 11:16

Kington is where Oldfield lived and recorded Ommadawn and is very close to Hergest Ridge.Stonehenge is a good 100-150 miles from Kington.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2009, 11:54

To elaborate a bit.Ommadawn doesn't 'sound' like Stonehenge if that makes sense.Stonehenge is in a very flat part of England.Very pretty but quite flat.Ommamdawn 'sounds' more like Kington which is in Herefordshire.Really wild dramatic hilly country.Mike would have been looking out onto this from The Beacon studio as he was recording it.After all the studio is 800 feet up a hill! :laugh: After all Mike said in an interview that he was driving through Cornwall listening to Hergest Ridge and he realised that HR is very much about Kington and Herefordshire and not at all like Cornwall.

--------------
Profile PM 
42 replies since Jan. 18 2008, 02:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net