Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Copywright help< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 178 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 13 2011, 17:17

Hi

I'm in the final stages of getting my album mastered to CD. However, one of the tracks is 'Hand Across The Mountains' which was my original piece but I added at the start the beginning to "Sentinal" (Tub 2).

So I want to have this track on my album but where do I stand with the Mike Oldfield piece of music at the start?

Do I just credit MO or is it more complicated than that? Perhaps the best thing to do would be to remove that piece at the beginning ?

If anyone has any ideas on the correct precedence here then please let me know as this is virgin terratory for me...

Many thanks.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 13 2011, 17:22

Quote (quietman @ July 13 2011, 22:17)
Do I just credit MO or is it more complicated than that?

Hi Martin.

The rumour still going round is that you ARE Mike! :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: July 13 2011, 17:24

You at least have to get permission, and you'll probably have to pay for copyright.
Profile PM 
ex member 178 Offline

Posted: July 13 2011, 17:35

Quote (wiga @ July 13 2011, 22:22)
Quote (quietman @ July 13 2011, 22:17)
Do I just credit MO or is it more complicated than that?

Hi Martin.

The rumour still going round is that you ARE Mike! :D

You're too kind Wiga! However, I don't think I'd be asking the question if I wanted to copywright my own music.~@: I could have a split personality though... I think I am Quietman but actually MO!!...

anyway off the write Tubular Bells 4.. (do I need Tubular Bells in it?) damn been rumbled!!
Profile PM 
ex member 178 Offline

Posted: July 13 2011, 17:37

Quote (Syd B @ July 13 2011, 22:24)
You at least have to get permission, and you'll probably have to pay for copyright.

thanks Syd.... hmmm that could cost a lot so the quick solution would be to remove the beginning...
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 13 2011, 18:51

Copyright is always more complicated than one would hope. I'm not a cc attorney nor do I play one on TV, but ideally you'd have to get permission from the record company, especially if you hope the work would someday go commercial.

http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/resources/ - of course, that is from Cornell and you're in the UK, IIR. http://www.soundrights.org.uk/ looks sort of interesting.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
ex member 178 Offline

Posted: July 14 2011, 17:13

Quote (Inkanta @ July 13 2011, 23:51)
Copyright is always more complicated than one would hope. I'm not a cc attorney nor do I play one on TV, but ideally you'd have to get permission from the record company, especially if you hope the work would someday go commercial.

http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/resources/ - of course, that is from Cornell and you're in the UK, IIR. http://www.soundrights.org.uk/ looks sort of interesting.

I've come to the conclusion that it would be best that I remove the MO bit from the start of HATM for the CD.

Now all tracks are written by me.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 14 2011, 18:08

I think Mike and a good lawyer should charge you for providing inspiration though. He could have patented his way of making music too. That would perhaps be a cash flow that would make more sense than remixing early stage demos in 5.1.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 15 2011, 03:57

;)  ..and don't worry , we can hear you're inspired by Mike anyway !
Profile PM 
8 replies since July 13 2011, 17:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net