Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Copy protection on TB2003 CD is causing greif?, Stopping on tracks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MO fan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 31 2003, 14:50

Is the copy protection on TB 2003 CD causing you grief?

I found it is stoping on track 7, others people have said theirs is stopping on track 9.

I have taken mine back for a refund today and refused another until this problem is solved.

The lad in 'Virgin store' said you are not the first person to return this CD.  :(
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 31 2003, 19:13

Quote (MO fan @ May 31 2003, 20:50)
Is the copy protection on TB 2003 CD causing you grief?

Sorry about it, but nope. ;-)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: June 02 2003, 07:48

It's a big issue. Not only MO fans do have this problem, 400 CD are sold in France with the same techniques. A well known consumer association is suing French producers (diffuseurs EMI Music France, Warner Music France, Universal Pictures Vidéo) and also retailers (Auchan, FNAC).

For French readers, here.

Let's fight !

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: June 02 2003, 09:03

Just my 2p - recently, I saw in a record shop the re-release of some older David Bowie records (guess he also has some jubilee these days) - all with that 'Copy Protected' logo.
BTW: - in the 'complete TB' box set, did Warner also copy protect the 'old bells', or only TB2003?
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 02 2003, 09:09

In the boxed set only the new TB2003 is copy protected and TBII and TBIII are thankfully spared from this misery.

So far,however, the copy protection has not caused me too much agony (except when I want to play the CD on my computer and I have to endure the agonizing breaks). I have even found a way to extract MP3s and put them on my MP3 player. :D

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: June 02 2003, 10:33

lets hope that somebody put confront them with a Judge, and they loose
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 02 2003, 14:23

Good to hear that people aren't putting up with it.

It really needs as many people as possible to make as much noise about it as they can, otherwise the record companies will just continue to palm off their customers with substandard products.

Sadly, it seems that even when they do back down, they just come back with more force later on.

I don't think that taking them to court will do much good in the long run - look at what happened with Microsoft. Big companies can do what they like as long as they pay the governments enough money.

My best suggestion is to just not buy things from major labels as much as possible - there's some brilliant music available on smaller labels who care about their artists, their customers and the quality of their products, and those are the labels which need your support (not to mention all the superb artists releasing material without a record company to supprt them).
Profile PM 
Hexagen Offline

Posted: June 03 2003, 16:40

Well, fuck these stupid protections.
I want to buy legal CD, rip some tracks to MP3 and play them in my MP3-man, so why protection? If someone want to make illegal copy, he will do it whenewer there is protection, or not. (my own experience).
So, I have decided to NOT buy TB2003.

--------------
All the people are like the books -
some of them are really outstanding,
and the other are losing in quantity.
Profile PM 
Andy
Unregistered

Posted: June 04 2003, 11:43

This Copy-Protection really upsets me!

Since the Original TB I have bought leagaly ALL MO Records, CD's and DVD's I could get.
I have a MP3-Player "Personal-Jukebox", where I have all my favorite CD's on, so I have them with me in the car, on the Bike, on the beach or where ever I go.
I my Opinion I have every legal right to do so, when i by a CD!

Of course it's not realy a problem to trick this copy-protection out. (If you get the tools). So what's the use?? Music-pirates will copy it anyway an people who buy it leagaly feel stupid!

If Record Company will not realyse this verry soon, they will learn it the hard way.
patrick
Unregistered

Posted: June 04 2003, 17:32

just use clonecd to copy it. The copy will not have the protection.

Today I bought Escapology with copy protection which did not play at all in my Quad hifi set! I made a copy of it with clonecd et voila.....the copy could be played without problems! Also the original TB2003 has troubles when starting in my set (it takes some time to start), but the copy starts immediatly.

Pat
ColdSun2003 Offline

Posted: June 04 2003, 19:04

I used EAC to copy it into Ogg Vorbis - no problems there apart from having to use burst mode.  As the CD was brand new, it ripped perfectly.  I insist on being able to make a backup copy for my archive should the disc get lost, stolen or broken so a big NYAAAH! to Warner Music and their pathetic copy protection.  If I've said this once, I've said this a thousand times - we don't NEED physical copy protection on CDs because the best method is making good music in the first place so we'd WANT to buy it!!!

However, it was ironic that Warners decided not to copy protect the new Zeppelin live album.  You would've thought an album that popular would be a prime target for their technological butchery.  Still - as above, good music is worth paying for and was happy to fork out for both that and TB2003.
Profile PM 
ColdSun2003 Offline

Posted: June 04 2003, 19:07

Quote (Guest @ June 04 2003, 11:43)
I my Opinion I have every legal right to do so, when i by a CD!

That you do!  You have a legal right to make a backup copy for personal use.  Copyright law is f$%ked up.
Profile PM 
FRENCH TRANSLATION
Unregistered

Posted: June 05 2003, 14:34

For Jeromes C message, translatiion of the Scandel of GC copy protection read on (its a bablefish translation, but you get the idea of the subject matter)...

' UFC-There is a counter-offensive to finish of Copy protection with the technical protections installed wrongly on CD Ufc- used by the large houses of discs (EMI, Virgin and BMG)

"to lock" the CD with the contempt of the right of the consumers to a normal use of these discs.

Like noted it association, these discs are illegible with a certain number of materials of reading (car radio, walkman, chain of show, reader DVD/CD and on certain microcomputers). These manufactures of discs, in perfect knowledge of these incompatibilities, did not hesitate to put over the market several million "locked" discs. In addition and with the contempt of the right of recognition to the private copy, they prevent the consumers making compilations, transferring the information from a disc bought on a numerical walkman or from carrying out an authorized duplication.

The legality of a private copy existed for a long time and did not ever harmed the interests of the artists and the producers, quite to the contrary. Lastly, it should be recalled that on the other hand, the consumers discharged on all the virgin supports in 2002 a royalty of 135 million euros, an increase of 44 % compared to 2001.

For UFC-That To choose, the information and charges distilled by these producteurs/diffuseurs against the public are bad taste.

Their aim is to make all the consumers feel guity about copying, who however made progress the sales of discs to France of more than 10 % in 2002 and at worrying in addition to measurement the authorities. UFC-That To choose request the immediate withdrawal of these "protection bolts" and decided to assign in justice the producers and diffusion EMI Music France, Warner Music France, Universal Pictures Vidéo as well as the Auchan distributors and the FNAC.

ITS OUR TURN IN THE UK NOW!  :(
Mr Very Angry
Unregistered

Posted: June 07 2003, 18:59

So the French have been got at as well with this Copy protection and are now suing the sods, GOOD!
Fox Offline

Posted: June 08 2003, 19:45

If anyone complains, complain on the basis that people are still ripping the music from the disk in spite of the copy protection.  And the people who are buying the CD have to put up with a skipping, stopping and sub CD-quality recording.

They're punishing the wrong group!  Only those cracking the software (something technically illegal) are enjoying an unbroken copy!  Their intent was to discourage piracy, not to prevent paying customers from enjoying the music.

That obviously failing, they should discontinue this copy protection software that doesn't work.

I think any other argument will seem like nitpicking.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 08 2003, 22:56

I heard that there is no copy protection on the Canadian release....I'll have to find out Tuesday.....and the DVD is NTSC too so the waiting wasn't a total loss!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 21:54

Great.  The Canadian release has no copy protection.

I don't want to pay for a CD twice, especially when I only paid  $19 WITH shipping charges for this one!  The UK better issue a recall on this!  I better be able to claim it, too!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 11 2003, 07:54

Canadians, I'm jealous! First you give us Rush, and now you give us Unprotected TB2003 discs! :laugh:

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 09:26

Canada.  For a nation whose only weapon against attack is beer, they sure seem to make more peaceful choices than the rest of us!

The USA should go in and take over so TB2003 can be considered a domestic release  hahaha! :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: June 12 2003, 16:27

well..after reading all this stuff about copy protection, i just won't buy the damn thing at all..

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
31 replies since May 31 2003, 14:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net