Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Copy protection?, Bad news for iPod owners< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Mwongozi Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 16 2003, 10:09

I was reading the reviews of TB2K3 on mikeoldfield.org when I saw this image of the back of the box:

Horror! A horrible "Copy Protected" sticker! I guess this means I won't be able to copy the CD onto my iPod :music: , which means I won't actually be able to listen to it that much.

Very sad. :/
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 16 2003, 12:38

Yeah we discussed this before. It could well be that it's just the promos that have this to stop people putting it out on the web early, other bands have done the same. The official release may well not have it.
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: May 19 2003, 05:41

If the CD plays... record it as a wav to your computer... (using your sound cards line ins if need be.) Convert the .wav to any format you like... and voila - listen to it whenever you like...
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Posted: May 19 2003, 13:16

There's no such thing as copy protection. :cool: There are ways to get past this: use an old cd drive, or even better, old dvd drive to rip. There's also software the can bypass some of the copy protection methods (audiograbber, feurio).

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
Mwongozi Offline

Posted: May 19 2003, 14:14

Unfortunately I can confirm that the final release of Tubular Bells 2003 will have copy protection. I just listened to an interview with Mike Oldfield on BBC Radio 2 in the UK, and he confirmed it himself.

I've found a useful guide for reading protected CDs, you can find it here:

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46159
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: May 19 2003, 16:08

a question... for what i've seen through the link, the sticker on tb2003 is the general logo for copy protection, does it mean that it's protected to all purposes? or it simply doesn't specify if it protects the cd to be played in computers or just to be copied.
?

cheers.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 19 2003, 19:04

The sticker tells you that, theoretically, you are not able to copy the music content of that CD on another CD, because, as soon as you insert it in your CD-ROM drive, the mp3 player included in the disc is started (even if you have the autoplay function disabled), thus making it impossible for the computer to access the 'real' music tracks on the CD. I said theoretically because on older computers, such as mine :), the player is ignored and you can freely access the music on the CD and rip it as mp3s or WAVs (and consequently, make an exact copy of the CD...) by using one of the many CD-ripping software apps available. :)
Anyway, everything (including rippin' methods) is explained very clearly in the article linked above. ;)

Edited by Ugo on May 19 2003, 19:17

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: May 20 2003, 04:29

Depeding on which way the CD is protected, it's possible to bypass the protection simply by putting some black magic marker around the inner rim of the CD.
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: May 20 2003, 17:18

after listening in the interview to his answer to the question:"could u play it in a cd rom? i'll trust his words: "yes, u can, yes"
i wish it is so simple like this, i mean, after paying for it what i'd like is just to put it in my cd rom and enjoy it without caring about how to get rid of copy protections...

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Q! Offline

Posted: May 25 2003, 09:55

It ripped just fine on my LG burner, although it was kind of slow. I'm listening to it right now :) My old dvd drive only recognized 6 tracks as audio. I used EAC.

As for listening it on cd-rom (quote): '(...) can also be played on most cd-rom drvies by the means of compressed sound file'.
from what i know, the 'compressed sound file' = wma and wma sucks. :(

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
Dali Offline

Posted: May 26 2003, 05:58

Hi all,

I just got the new cd from the Bangles - don't spam me, please - and it has the same kind of protection. It means that when you put it into your PC, you get a mini-player that is on the cd, and through this you can play the cd. Or, some compressed tracks it's better to say. What worked for me was: let the cd play through this player, use an old cd-rom player, and then it is like the cd is 'unlocked'. Now WMP recognised the cd, and could rip it into WMP-format or MP3 if you have the plug-in. No problem!

BTW, WMP does not suck. The player is great, and the file-format is getting better and better, where MP3 is staying more or less at the same quality.

Dali.
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 03:04

Well, initially I also was concerned about this copy protection issue, but at least I seem to be lucky - to my PC (win98se), it behaves just like a plain Audio CD, on both the CD-R and the DVD drive (both NEC). Even the default Windows CD player (and also PowerDVD) plays the audio without any problem.
There's no additional compressed audio in the data section. In LINUX, you see that there is just a tiny player program - apparently to fix the violations of CD-Audio specs. No idea what the cover note is talking about compressed data - my windows doesn't even see the data session.
It plays fine via the drive's audio (and even SPDIF) output -
there's just a tiny glitch about 9 sec into each track if I play it on the DVD drive (no problem on the CD-R).
Only problem is that my DVD player and Discman cannot play without some skipping at the track marks - guess I'm going to burn me an untracked version- well, down-tracked to part 1/part 2/sailor's hornpipe.

BTW: Since I got the CD/DVD set - seems like the DVD is slightly out of balance - it produces strong vibrations (mechanical, that is..) in my DVD player.
Profile PM WEB 
Dali Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 04:39

Quote (a_r_schulz @ May 27 2003, 03:04)
There's no additional compressed audio in the data section. In LINUX, you see that there is just a tiny player program - apparently to fix the violations of CD-Audio specs. No idea what the cover note is talking about compressed data - my windows doesn't even see the data session.

Well, no, you don't see the compresse data. I only see the player too. But still, it iss there. When the player starts, it even gives you the compressed bit-rate (128Kb) and KHertz (44). So, it is compressed music. At one-fifth of the cd, starting from the outer edge, you can see where the compressed data starts.

Dali
Profile PM WEB 
gregrobson Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 06:57

Bypassing the copy protection...

I've ripped it for my own personal use, worked like a charm with Audiograbber and an LG DVD drive (haven't tried my LG CD-RW).

I don't like copy protection for the fact that it's WMA at 128Kbps - far to small for Mike's work. I rip at 160, and sometimes 192 if it doesn't sound good.

When will the music industry learn?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 27 2003, 12:47

No - don't burn a copy. This problem is up to the record company to sort, not the customer. As far as I'm concerned, this copy protection is shoddy manufacturing.

Send it back and demand a refund - I already have. When the sales drop, then the music industry will learn, as their language is that of money.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 15:06

Good plan, I'd do the same as my CD player won't read it at all but I've now lent it to a friend, probably won't see it again, you know the story. What pisses me off is that I had to travel 20 miles by shitty bus to Dundee to get a copy, which then wouldn't play in my CD player. Maybe a representative from WEA would like to come round and kick me in the balls just to round things off nicely   :(
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 16:59

Well I have just got the TB2003 CD today and had no problems putting it onto audio cassette for the car.

When will these manufacturers learn that when you buy a musical product, you want it available in many of the different formats that you can play it on, (CD, CD-R, Cassette, minidisk & mp3)  but not have to buy it over and over again for each of them.

Its for your own personnel use anyway!!!

Cheers MO fan   :D
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 18:01

OK, since I tried on my wife's PC, I have to stand corrected. I didn't think they would carefully hide the ompressed audio file - I had to use WinOnCD just to see it. Explorer, and even DIR /A only show the player and its skin files. Also, both her DVD and CD-R drive focus on the data track and don't see the audio tracks - guess I'm really lucky with my drives.
As for my players' problem with track marks - that's a general problem of these players (same if copy protected or not), so I guess I _will_ burn for myself a 3-track copy - maybe 4-track, if I also rip the single remix from the DVD.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 28 2003, 08:02

I don't think that the business model which the record companies are using appears to be valid any more. I don't think they're going to stop anyone from copying albums, short of making them completely unplayable (I can actually imagine them going that far...or maybe only playable on a special 'warner player' with built in speakers and a heavy sealed metal cabinet so there's no way of getting a direct signal out of it...), so they have to look at other ways of supporting their businesses.
Let's not forget that the Warner Records is part of AOL Time Warner, a company which is making masses of money from the internet...why not encourage more people to use their AOL services by offering subscribers a certain amount of 'free' music a month, perhaps as part of a premium-rate service.

It should also be remembered that they seem to be making quite a bit of money on albums like Tubular Bells 2003 - doing a rough guesstimate, I reckon that of the £15 I paid for a copy of TB2003, there could be as much as £10 profit on that (assuming they sell 100,000 copies), which is then divided between the shop (although I haven't factored in the shop's costs, some of which would be taken out of this £10), the record company and Mike (who I believe would see slightly less than £1 of that). They may find that by selling them cheaper, they'll actually sell more copies and end up making as much or more profit than if they'd sold at the higher price.

Anyway, this sort of thing is for them to sort out - what bothers me is that the CDs don't play properly.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 16:01

Warner should release it on vinyl, then we are all happy!! (and vinyl sounds great IMHO)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
23 replies since May 16 2003, 10:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net