[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Copy Protection - Defeated< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Anonymizeruk Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 17 2003, 06:58

Greetings fellow Oldfield fans.

Just thought I'd make this post as a matter of interest.

I'm off on my holidays in 2 days, and, armed with a shiny new MP3 / CD player, I have been busy transfering my Oldfield collection to MP3 on CD-R.

I use an old(ish) program called Audiograbber to rip and encode the tracks. I was kinda suprised when I popped in my UK Issue TB2003 disc, and it hapily recognised it as an Audio CD (and even downloaded the listing from CDDB)

The rip has been completed whilst typing this post, and I am now listening to an MP3 of Introduction.

Interesting huh?
Profile PM 
Afgyhi Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2003, 07:19

Hi Anonymizeruk
I kind of experienced the same thing some days ago. I used an old program called CDex, and it did rip my cdprotected cds like any other cds  :) !!! So the copyprotection is really useless!! In fact the only thing it has done is made people angry!!!!!!!

--------------
Crises! Crises!!
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 02:18

It depends a lot... first CDex is not an "old" program : you can find up to date version. And copy protection varies a lot : there are several competing system in the wild, the one used with TB2003 was not very resistant for sure, but try latest Radiohead issue (system "copy-controlled"), it's another story... I bought it but I finally had to download it from P2P to here it in mp3...

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 06:23

There was a news that some protection *software* on CDs was defeated by holding the Shift key when putting it on the CD-ROM drive. *LOL*. Now how pathetic is that?

I also own the Hail To The Thief album by Radiohead, which (sadly) has a copy-protection system. (believe me, I only discovered that as I was about to buy the album - I had been aching to get that album for a long time) But I did rip about 30 seconds out of track number... 9, I think, using Cool Edit Pro. That was solely for research reasons, mind you. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 07:35

Yeah, but what about ripping the rest, uh ? The only "non piracy" way is by recording with appropriate software from the soundcard, but - of course - the output qulity of their official player is 96 kbps only... Or to invest in a "regular" CD player with numeric output...

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
Galaxy Bounce
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 16:53

Yeah I'm using a Mac and the copy protection isn't a problem at all. I was getting worried I couldn't put it on my iPod!
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2003, 08:05

Maybe this copy-protection thing is just a conspiracy to force people to buy more Macs.

Think Tubular.

:laugh:

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 29 2003, 08:47

The operating system doesn't guarantee much - it's the drive as far as I'm aware (though there could be an element of both I suppose). Two PowerMacs I tried it in (one with Pioneer 'superdrive' and another with an ordinary DVD-ROM drive, I forget model numbers for both) refused to have anything to do with it, both getting rather upset when asked to play it...an older machine with Matsushita CD-ROM drive had no problems playing it (guess I could have made myself a copy  :D).
The problem then is that, if the Mac won't play it as a CD, there's no alternative solution, as there is under Windows (listening to compressed files on a pathetic little player which may even mess up your system, some alternative that is! ).

I think it's more likely a conspiracy to get people to buy Windows - the latest version of Cactus Data Shield (CDS-300) uses Windows Media files to provide its PC 'compatibility' solution. Something tells me a few big companies are in cahoots here...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2003, 04:42

Windows conspiracy? :O That's even more evil!

Bleh, as if there aren't enough conspiracies to get us to buy Windows (like using a Madonna song to advertise XP).

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Nervous of 1984
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 18:22

Copy protection, dont make me laugh.

A few years from now you will look back at this time of easy listening and wish you had fought back against copy protection.

Cause, the TB2013 version will require a David Blunkett nation identification card to be pluged into your CD player, a retinal scanner will ident that you are , erm, YOU, you will punch in an 8 digit personnel code, then the CD track will play, then stop while you insert 500 Euros to hear the next track.

Arrgh! its a mad house  Fight back now or 1984 will come round faster than you think.
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2003, 06:53

On the other hand, we'll be using Soulseek 1054, who's operating with 700 servers. You'll be able to download 500 albums per hour and store it into a chip the size of your thumbnail. :p

Oh, and musicians will record their albums at the cost of $2. :D

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
YODA
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 09 2003, 16:57

Copy protection defeated, well done, so why bother with CP in the first place.

I am looking foward to Mikes next album to see if CP is back in or out.  :/
olracUK Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2003, 09:08

I finally got round to actually buying the CD, came home, stuck it in the PC, clicked "copy" from windows media player, put kettle on, fed cat and started playing my lovely copied files.
what was the fuss about?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2003, 10:46

Well, the fuss was that if you put it in your Stereo and pressed Play, chances are that the CD wouldn't play, or would stop playing for absolutely no reason. Yes, I'm serious.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
WWWWolf
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 22 2004, 15:13

Here's a random tip about the copy protection thing: The actual audio data is on the first session of the disk, and there's a second session on the disk that has a very confusing Table of Contents and the data track holding the player software.

I got the TB2003 CD in the summer, had a very good moral dilemma in the record store by the way (Copy Protection eeeeevil. Tubular Bells gooooood), got pretty much tired messing around with the ripping programs, Hoisted the Jolly Roger and l33ch'd a RAR of MP3s from eMule... and today, I finally figured it out:
(In Linux...)

$ cdrdao read-cd --device /dev/cdrom --driver generic-mmc-raw --session 1 tb2003.toc

WHAM! some time later, there it was, as a huge file called data.bin. All it needed was a byte order swap, conversion to .wav, and after that it played fine:

$ sox -r 44100 -c 2 -sw -t sw -x data.bin tb2003.wav

I've so far listened all the way to Finale. No audible glitches, even when I was afraid when I heard that CactusAudio adds intentional read errors on the disc (all that crud is probably on the second session...)

And the proggy even copied the catalog number and ISRC data off the disk and put it to the .toc file. I'm really impressed. :)
Guimauve2 Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2004, 09:37

Well, I do not have the copy protection on the CD, since I've got the canadian version of TB2003.

And the canadian version is an audio CD, not a data CD containing audio files.

muhahaha! :cool:
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 13 2005, 11:37

I didn't have any problems defeating the copy protection either. I use AudioCatalyst to rip to wav's so that I can check their integrity and then rip them (at 256 kbps, of course!;)

I did have one problem with AudioCat as I sometimes do with copy protected CD's - no matter what the copy protection system - and that the last track failed to rip. I soon defeated that though - before the track finishes copying, I set the temp file to 'read only', and then edit it using a wave editor to get rid of the garbage at the end of the track.

Oh dear what a shame. I don't see what the big deal is anyway - everyone will find a way if they really want to. This half-hearted resistance from the music industry against ripping is laughable. Call this difficult?

Anyways, it's not like I go around distributing music to 30 other people. To be honest, no one else I know even likes Oldfield, or Vangelis, or anything else I like to listen to.

Meh.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
algenicus002 Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 06:57

According to Apple (check out this link: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106882), "copy protected discs" are NOT CDs and are incompatible with Macs. Philips shares the same view, too.

It seems like a conspiracy to put the LEGITIMATE buyers in a no-win situation.

1. The recording company gets the money from the sucker who bought the disc.
2. Macrovision and Sunncomm (the parasite mafia gangs who develop the "copy protection" systems) get their percentage from the increased price of the disc.
3. The sucker (aka buyer) finds out he can't play the disc in his CD/DVD player or car CD player.
4. The sucker either goes out to buy a more expensive (even if better-sounding) version (SACD, DVD-A) or buys a blank CD-R (and the recording company does get some more money out of this purchase, because there IS a tax on blank recording and data storage media that goes to RIAA and IFPI) to copy the disc so he can listen to it.
5. In the US, circumventing the lock is a criminal offense. Thus, the LEGITIMATE buyer is a criminal. Add the unauthorized copying of the recorded work and blah blah blah... At least, in Europe, we HAVE the right (under European law, and much to IFPI's chagrin) to copy the works we've bought.

Mike's dismissive and insulting response to the whole debacle was a great faux pas on his side.

And no, the "copy protection" doesn't do a single thing to prevent anyone from copying the recorded work.
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 10:24

In my experience thus far, the 'copy control' is sometimes effective and sometimes... not. I've only tried it with three discs, all by the same artist (Kraftwerk). One disc, Tour de France Soundtracks (the album), plays on my computer like a normal disc and also allows me to rip it like a normal disc. On the other hand the two singles from that albums (Tour de France '03 and Aerodynamik) don't play or rip on my computer. All have played fine on my stereo, which in itself is odd because not all regular CD's play properly on it. :O
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 10:32

I love Canada....sigh.....no copy protected TB2003. Just a normal disc....this is the life.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
25 replies since Oct. 17 2003, 06:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net