Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Contest on Amarok CD length, Does anybody have 60:00?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 08 2002, 16:27

Hello. As most of you may know, Mike conceived Amarok to be exactly one hour long. Yet no CD copy I ever saw of it is long exactly 60 minutes; this may depend a bit from the CD player you're using, but the vast majority of the Amarok CDs presently available (both original and remastered) have a playing time varying between 60:02 and 60:04. So, as I don't think that there actually is, somewhere out there, a copy of an Amarok CD whose playing time is exactly 60:00, I've had this crazy idea of launching a contest.

The contest: Be the first person to prove me (with any documentation that you think may be needed: photos, video clips, texts etc.) that you own an original Amarok CD (privately made CDs don't count...), with a single track, whose total playing time is 60:00.

The prize: A rare Oldfield mp3. The winner shall request to me whatever he/she likes (with the exception of tracks from live performances, other than the TB II and III premières) and I'll send it to him/her. I have almost everything by Mike, and I think that what I don't have is not hard for me to get. :)

P.S.: Even if it sounds crazy or foolish, the contest is quite serious. If you're interested in it, either reply to this topic or mail me privately and I'll give you more details. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2002, 16:04

what a pity...
mine 60.02 checked on both the jukebox and the portable player...

nice from u anyway
:)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2002, 17:40

i don't have even close..60:04  :cool: good luck for finding that

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2002, 18:01

...So you think that such a copy really exists, eh? :) Well, as I already said, I don't really think so. But anyway, I'm keeping the contest valid, and I wish the best of luck [and a good hunt...:)] to all of you.

--------------
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2002, 04:30

I'm sure it's the CD player that adds the few seconds onto the length. Mine is 60:02 if I remember rightly. Well, my CD player is never the most accurate: it says TSODE is 70 minutes long! Good luck trying to find one, but don't try too hard. Even the computer says 60:02.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
iancampbell79 Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2002, 06:32

Isn't the 60:02 caused by the 2 second pre-burn on most audio tracks?  If you were to take this off then the track is exactly 60 minutes long!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2002, 18:15

Ian: there's no pre-burn on Amarok AFAIK. The track starts at 00:00 and ends at 60:02 (with two additional seconds of silence, maybe.)

--------------
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 11 2002, 12:54

I thought that for CDs to meet the red book standard they had to have two seconds in the lead-in area of the CD. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but I know that some old and cheap CD players mute the output between tracks so that you don't hear the amount of digital noise they make - a gap at the start and end of tracks (and especially CDs) means you don't miss the first beat or whatever is at the beginning of the song.

You can check this yourself if you have ever extracted audio data from a CD (purely with the intention of examaining it, of course); if you look at it in a wave editor you can usually see at least one second of silence at the start of the track. I haven't done this for Amarok to check as I don't have access to the CD right now, but I'd be interested to see if it was there.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha
Unregistered

Posted: April 28 2003, 10:16

It clearly seems to me that Amarok is 60:02, yet some CD players show 60:04 because of the 2 silent seconds in the lead in area of the CD, yes. When I'm playing the CD on my radio, the counting goes up to 60:02, and as soon as the track finishes, it jumps from 60:02 right into 60:04 (the length of the entire CD, not the track itself). I think this is it.
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 28 2003, 14:21

As far as I know, there are a few seconds of silence at the end. After the music comes to a climax and finishes, there's a little bit of chatter and/or similar noises, then a small amount of silence - this is I believe what's forming those extra two seconds.
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: April 28 2003, 18:23

Ugo, this seems more like a contest to be the best cheater or having the crappiest cd-player. :/  Nice way to protect the rarity of your mp3's though   :D

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 13 2003, 23:37

I just listened to Amarok recently, and I closely observed what happened at the beginning and end. The music certainly starts right at the beginning of the album, at 00:00. At the end of the album, the climax finishes at 60:00, then two seconds of silence, taking the timer to 60:02. Then the album ends, and the timer reads 60:04. The CD player seems to add those two seconds on out of nowhere, it just skips from 60:02 to 60:04. Interesting

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: June 13 2003, 23:59

There is always a 2-second pause before playing the beginning track on any CD. My burner won't even let me burn a CD unless at least the first track has a 2-second pause. That's probably where it comes from.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
sEIGu Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2003, 19:32

the two seconds are from the red-book- (or was it the yellow one?) restrictions...

amarok IS 60:00. so you wont find any 60:00 due to the technicals specifications of an "normal" audio compact disc...

--------------
sEIGu
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2003, 08:33

When I hear Amarok, the very final beat happens at ~59:58, and then there are some little noises and chatter taking it to 60:00, and then it seems there is around one second and a half of almost absolute silence. In my opinion, the track to 60:02, but the music per se reaches one hour with no promlem. The 60:04 issue is, as everyone has said, due to the mandatory 2 second lead-in to a CD, which is a red book rule. As Musically Inspired said, CD burners don't allow to burn an Audio CD without a 2 second silence at the first track. I tried it myself.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 17:40

Using Nero and Cool Edit I have obtained some figures I think you might find interesting and clarifying.
Pregap: 2 seconds
Total running time: Some players display 60min & 2 seconds and others 60 min & 4 seconds (I suppose that some add the pregap to the total).
Audio track length: 60 min, 2 s & 70 frames (remenber, 1s=75 frames so this length is nearer to 60:03 that to 60:02).
Silence at the start of the audio track: There is 1 blank second before the music starts.
Silence at the end of the audio track: There is around 70 blank frames at the end.
Total silence: 1 s & 70 frames so the total of music is 60:02:70 - 00:01:70 = 60:01:00 (sorry for the maths  :zzz: )
Conclusion: When Mike said that Amarok will last 60 min he probably meant "as close as possible" and not that it will last exactly 60:00:00  :O

Well, have I won this rare mp3?  :D  :cool:
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 18:04

I think that everyone who has 60.02 version should win.
since the 2 seconds more is caused by burning it...
every first track gotta have 2 seconds silence in beginning
so that's my opinion on this :D

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2003, 07:46

Okay, people. All of you out there with 60:02 won. :D
Please request me your fav mp3s. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
pentium75 Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2007, 13:58

I think that the 2s pre-gap caused some confusion here. Though every Audio CD has this 2s pre-gap, it is BEFORE track 1, it's not part of it.

IMHO, every Amarok CD has a 2s pre-gap AND a 60:02 lasting track 1. It just depends on the CD player if he counts the pre-gap into disc runtime, so some will show 60:02 and some show 60:04 for the disc runtime, but all players display 60:02 for track 1 runtime.

So, Amarok definitely lasts 60:02, not 60:00 ........
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2007, 09:59

Quote (pentium75 @ Feb. 19 2007, 18:58)
I think that the 2s pre-gap caused some confusion here. Though every Audio CD has this 2s pre-gap, it is BEFORE track 1, it's not part of it.

IMHO, every Amarok CD has a 2s pre-gap AND a 60:02 lasting track 1. It just depends on the CD player if he counts the pre-gap into disc runtime, so some will show 60:02 and some show 60:04 for the disc runtime, but all players display 60:02 for track 1 runtime.

So, Amarok definitely lasts 60:02, not 60:00 ........

I doubt that Mike will answer this type of question in his book.......if he did it would be 5000 pages long  er... sorry 5000:02 pages long.    :D

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
25 replies since Dec. 08 2002, 16:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net