[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Contest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 22 2001, 10:38

O.K., it goes like that:

There is a topic in 'QE2' that made me think about the many times in which Mike has used some of his melodies for different records. I like it because you need a lot of imagination to make them fit properly.

So I propose to do a little contest in which everyone can take part (of course). And the subject of the contest is you have to tell TWO THEMES in which Mike has put the same melody, and to explain in the best detailed way as possible where are they into these two themes. ONLY ONE TIME for each couple. I mean, if you find a common melody between Taurus 1 and Taurus II and you find another one, the second time is not necessary.

You´ve got to put numbers to any pair of themes you find, and write them preferably in capital letters, and the explanation in small letters.

I will give an examlpe, and of course, all these cases become invalid.

1/ TAURUS 1-TAURUSII: The very beginning of T1 and the 'Deep Deep Sound' part in TII

2/ TAURUS II-FIVE MILES OUT: Beginning of TII and pipe part in 5MO

3/ LET THERE BE LIGHT-ASCENSION:Same melody

So the end of the contest will be on the 1st of November. You´ve got until then to find any couples as possible. No need to say what one says can´t be scored again by another. And I propose Olivier to think about any kind of little prize or reward for the one that finishes it as the first one.

So, what do you say? Let´s start now? O.K., ready, steady... and go! biggrin

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2001, 06:01

It's not easy to come up with any "same themes" without listening to the records, but here is one I can recall:

"In high places": verses have the same melody as "Orabidoo".
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2001, 10:02

Righty-o then...

1/ JEWEL IN THE CROWN (TBIII)-COCHISE (Guitars)

Well, they're rather similar, aren't they? wink

-Tim-

Still thinking about others...
Profile PM WEB 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2001, 05:08

You all missed the obvious one:

1: FAR ABOVE THE CLOUDS (TBIII finale), TBptI finale: Bass line is the same:

code:
{ A A A - D E A A A G E D F#G C B }

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2001, 06:35

2/ LET THERE BE LIGHT (TSODE)- Amarok

Main LTBL tune-thingy is played on some sort of whistle at about 8'38 into Amarok.

-Tim-

P.S. Delfin: do samples count- as in MAN IN THE RAIN-MOONLIGHT SHADOW (drums), LIBERATION-AMAROK (Africa tune sampled for backing for Liberation)? Or not?
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2001, 16:32

O.K. guys!!! I see you're doing fine!!!

In the subject of the samples I'm afraid it's better not to count them... try to use the imagination for the melodies!!!!

Tim!!! Very good about that!!! Exactly, 'Cochise' has the same melody as 'Jewel'; you deserve respect wink

(and the rest)

For Hillbilly:

Are you sure about those to themes to have the same melody?? I've never thought about it... O.K., I'll count it! rolleyes

So the score goes as follows:

1- Timmy boy 2 points
2- ChiRho 1 "
3- Hillbilly 1 "

So I get amazed!! There are many more!!!
So keep on the good stuff and thank you for taking this idea seriously... I know how hard it is when it's about me!! mad

Keep on seeking!!

A Spanish in Dublin

Delfín>>

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2001, 16:11

O.K., here you've got some clues...

- ISLANDS/WHEN THE NIGHT HAS COME

Obvious, isn't it?

- TO FRANCE/TALK ABOUT YOUR LIFE

Just the same...

- GUILTY/INCANTATIONS/FIRST EXCURSION/WOODHENGE

The four have the same 'Incantation' progression in any moment.

O.K. guys... Not so hard!!! I remind the winner is currently Tim.

Cheers,

Delfin>

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2001, 18:28

- The TB piano theme appears [of course smile] in many other places. One of the most obvious is the beginning of FMO (the song).

- The way the TB theme is played upon in the beginning of Crises (the piece) is repeated in The Wind Chimes part II. See the various sections named TB in the Amarok Player tracklist. smile

- The melody to which "Sondela, Sondela, Sondela" is sung in the Green Green section of Amarok is re-used in Sunjammer (TB2).

- The African drum part in Africa II (Amarok) is taken almost directly from Ommadawn. smile

What do you say, Delfin? Am I the current winner? smile biggrin

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2001, 19:49

Ah, well, if we're using the TB Opening Theme, the possibilities are endless...

But I won't list them (yet), since Delfin's main motivation (it seemed) was getting people to beat me wink.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2001, 20:07

I feel like mentioned...! mad

Well... for Ugo, yeah, you really surprised me... your silence until now was full of intention!!! wink yes, now you are the first. And I din't know about the relation btw Amarok and TBII!!!! redface

Tim: don't worry, because I still believe in you. But one thing... you all gotta show what you know... I'm not wizard with a crystal ball!!! biggrin

For the rest: just kiP going the good stuff and don't be downhearted... still there is a lot to say!!!!!

Delfin en Dublin>

--------------
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2001, 19:12

These might not be exactly what Delfin is looking for, but they are melodies that, to me, sound very similar to each other:

3/ CELTIC RAIN (Voyager)- THE SHINING ONES (TSODE)

To me, section from the third second (0'03) onwards in The Shining Ones is extremely similar to the opening of Celtic Rain. But it might just be me.

4/ LET THERE BE LIGHT (TSODE)- MONT ST MICHEL (Voyager)

OK, I've just bought Voyager, and only listened to it properly once or twice. But this just 'jumped' out at me. The guitar at 2'45 plays, in my mind anyway wink, the main theme to Let There Be Light.

5/ TAURUS II (Five Miles Out)- TUBULAR BELLS PART ONE (Tubular Bells)

Well Delfin said "use your imagination" wink. The section immediately after "The Deep Deep Sound" (starting as soon as Maggie Reilly finishes singing "Here's a song to take with you"- 10'02) always seems to me as being the opening theme to Tubular Bells Part One.

6/ TAURUS II (Five Miles Out)- ORABIDOO (Five Miles Out)

Same melody at 2'03 in Taurus II as at 6'59 in Orabidoo.

7/ SENTINEL (TBII)- CLEAR LIGHT (TBII)

Main theme of Sentinel reappears throughout Clear Light.

That should do for the moment...mainly because I have other things to do.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 23 2001, 06:42

That's odd, I tend to associate Moonwatch (TB3)with Celtic Rain rather than The Shining Ones.

There is a similar kind of feel to them, until the end of Moonwatch when the screaming guitar comes in.

I suppose the opening theme from TB - Tubular X is too obvious.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2001, 08:24

Can we use the complete Mike Oldfield Reference Guide ?
http://tubular.net/tcmorg/
Cheers
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2001, 10:45

8/ OMMADAWN PART ONE (Ommadawn) - OMMADAWN PART TWO (Ommadawn)

At 11'05 in Side One, what is called "Majestic Reprise" in Amarok Player is also heard at 07'07 in Side Two.

9/ MAGELLAN (TSODE) - LAMENT FOR ATLANTIS (TSODE)

Main theme of Magellan is the main theme of Lament for Atlantis. (e.g. 0'28 in Magellan, 0'00 in Lament for Atlantis)

I don't really want to do any TB Opening Theme ones...all that melody in Source of Secrets = melody in Secrets = Far Above the Clouds starting melody is just too much work. I'll leave either for someone else or later.

-Tim-

P.S. Mat- I see what you mean about the Moonwatch link.
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2001, 15:08

All right, so it's more exciting than I expected!!! Ugo and Tim, you know a lot of things about it I hadn't. I know a lot too, but not the same. I will get into the game now for a bit:

1/ The 'electric storm' at the B side of 'HERGEST RIDGE' has the same guitar riff as in certain moment of the Piltdown Man in 'TUBULAR BELLS'.

2/ 'CONFLICT' almost in the end reprises an extract a melody much softer played with vibes at the beginning of 'ORABIDOO'

3/ 'QE2' is almost a reprise of 'TAURUS 1'.

By the moment the thing goes on... Tim and Ugo go first but the most important thing is this is being a lot of learning and fun for me!! What's the next "discovery"?

Delfín>

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2001, 18:57

- During the guitar solo on the live version of TB part 1(Exposed) two other pieces are quoted: about 11:20 in HR part 1 and about 6:10 (among others) in Ommadawn part 1.

- The bass line under the xylophone section towards the end of Inc. 4 is clearly taken from HR, and it reappears again a little after the beginning of Taurus 1.

- The three famous smile Son-de-la notes from Amarok reappear on a violin in She Moves Through The Fair (Voyager), about 3:15.

- The Amarok section marked as "Bridge at Hergest Ridge" in the Amarok Player tracklist has nothing to do with HR, but it has to do with the main theme from The Wind Chimes.

- The lyrics "shadow(s) on the wall" are sung in No Dream (HO) almost with the same notes they are sung on in the song "SOTW" (Crises).

Sorry, Tim and Delfin... couldn't resist... I cheated. smile biggrin smile biggrin smile. But I won't tell you HOW did I cheat... I'll let you discover it by yourself. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2001, 19:02

Oh. I see that GMOVJ has already discovered it. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2001, 19:14

Nice try, Ugo wink

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2001, 03:02

wink

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2001, 07:52

More discoveries:

A melody line in "The great plain" is the same as when Mike sings "...down to the river" in "Mr. Shame". smile

Profile PM 
27 replies since Sep. 22 2001, 10:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net