Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Conflict, Why does everyone seem to hate conflict?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 13 2010, 11:00

@ HR lover: Ah, now I get it. Thanks for the explanation. Well, if the radio is always turned on in your house, your head is bound to be bombarded with that kind of crap all the time. Unless, of course, your sister listens to Virgin Radio or something like that, but I bet she does not. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 13 2010, 11:34

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 12 2010, 13:39)
@ Sir M.: well, regardless of what the loop was inspired by, it is a loop. And there also is a loop in "Celt", which is slightly more shakey than the one in "Conflict". What I meant to say is that the repetitiveness of a loop-based drum rhythm is something that, at least to my ears, is present in techno music just like it is present in "Conflict". "Guilty" is not proto-techno or proto-anything, as Mike wasn't generating anything with it; rather, he was unshamedly climbing on the disco bandwagon... more so on the Exposed version than anywhere else. :)

Loops were being used for decades already when Mike used them in QE2. Also, keep in mind that "loop" can be used with different intentions: a repeating pattern is a "loop", but it is one thing to perform one pattern over and over, and it's another entirely to create a tape loop with sticky tape or to create an electronic loop with a sequencer or something. Looping patterns are as old as men, and tape/electronic loops were already common business since those freaky old men started playing with tapes and machines. And one very important thing is that house/techno music don't use such loops to satisfy an artistic vision, but because that's what the musicians had at the time; that's what the machines were able to do, and that's why dance music evolved in that direction. As the machines evolved, much more complex and elaborate music came out. So, Conflict was not "inventing" anything that pointed towards techno, because that's not where techno came from. Guilty is, indeed, bandwagon-jumping, but THAT was the bandwagon that created house and techno. That music playing on huge old warehouses was nothing much more than disco music played on TB-303's and TR-808's. Guilty has a tiny little place in that history, whereas Conflict and Celt haven't.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2010, 22:13

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 13 2010, 06:55)
Je t'adore too.

Wiga do you mean "Je l'adore", or are congratulations in order for you and Scatterplot?  :D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2010, 02:32

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 13 2010, 22:13)
Je t'adore too.

Wiga do you mean "Je l'adore"

I probably do ...thanks for getting me out of another scrape Nightspore :/  ;)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2010, 03:46

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 14 2010, 02:32)
Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 13 2010, 22:13)
Je t'adore too.

Wiga do you mean "Je l'adore"

I probably do ...thanks for getting me out of another scrape Nightspore :/  ;)

I hope Scatter won't be too disappointed... It could have been tubular bells one day, and wedding bells the next! And we could have fixed Eddie up with Ugo's Vicki in case he got jealous!  :D
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2010, 21:23

Why does everyone seem to hate conflict?

It's easy to detect. Even myself, I prefer peace.

And ambient guitars.

Am I a bit of losing it?

Or probably never had it???

I'm confused  :/  :(  :O  :/  :cool:

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
25 replies since Sep. 08 2010, 14:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net