Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Conflict, Why does everyone seem to hate conflict?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
HR lover Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 08 2010, 14:16

Hi I'm pretty fond of QE2, I only don't like arrival that much compared to the rest. But I really like conflict. To me it sounds cutting edge, vibrant, energetic, epic, dynamic and yet the 2.02-2.23 part really sounds profound to me. The fact that MO can make a fast and dynamic song and yet retain, rustique tranquil and profound emotions, really makes a good combo in my opinion. But I would love to hear your opinions.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 02:49

I don't like the track much, I'm not sure why. I think it sounds like an entire Mike Oldfield album compressed into one song. Mike's melodies need room to breathe (at least the kind of melodies he wrote in 1980!;) and they're not getting it here.

I don't know about vibrant or energetic..I think it's just loud and complex. Tranquil?  :/ Haha! I'm happy someone understands the beauty of this song because I have a really hard time getting into it.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 05:08

I think everyone hates conflict because it can lead to aggression and violence.

Oh, sorry, have I missed the point?   :D

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 19:38

"Ere! You talkin 'bout my bird, Queen Elizabeth II? Come over 'ere an say that!"

;)

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 21:16

Quote (Cooper Roy @ Sep. 10 2010, 09:38)
"Ere! You talkin 'bout my bird, Queen Elizabeth II? Come over 'ere an say that!"

;)

CR

Never thought you were into younger women Coops :laugh:

I love Conflict always have always will.

The songs pretty good too esp the Montreux version.
Great guitar/drum interplay seconded only to The Lake.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 21:34

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 09 2010, 21:16)
Quote (Cooper Roy @ Sep. 10 2010, 09:38)

;)

CR

Never thought you were into younger women Coops :laugh:

I love Conflict always have always will.

The songs pretty good too esp the Montreux version.
Great guitar/drum interplay seconded only to The lake.

And he's not fooling anyone with that English accent. You can tell he's just longing to say "Awww, shoot!" :)

As for "Conflict", I'm neutral about it. I really like 4 tracks on QE2: the title track, "Celt", and the two cover versions.
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 02:46

Maybe it's because I'm so young, I can like this better. I grew up with fast paced music so I'm used to loud and fast music.  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 04:56

Quote (HR lover @ Sep. 10 2010, 02:46)
Maybe it's because I'm so young, I can like this better. I grew up with fast paced music so I'm used to loud and fast music.  :D

I'm a death metal musician. You're theory fails!  :laugh:

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 05:21

Quote (HR lover @ Sep. 10 2010, 16:46)

Eh...... Whats that?
Speak up Laddie :laugh:
My ears are shot..from 30 yrs of loud and fast music :D
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 08:08

QE2 is in my top 5 favorite albums. Conflict is one of the greatest song Mike ever did. I see it as an explosion of Mike's genius. One of rare musical moments I really feel a big rush of musical orgasm. Sorry, I can't find another way to say it.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 17:41

@ HR lover: well, the key point here is what kind of music do you mean as being loud and fast. Techno is loud and fast, and death metal is too. If you are into techno then it's rather obvious that you love "Conflict", as it its repetitive, drum-machine-loop-like beat (although it's actually not a drum machine, or not entirely) is almost a proto-techno thing. :)

Anyway, I agree with Lars here about "Conflict" being a little bit too complex for my taste. I don't hate it at all, but it's not one of the tracks I put on repeat for at least one time when I play QE2 (the title track is :D). Also, the quote of Bach's "Badinerie" within it sounds very out of place to me, unlike Mike's other classical-inspired pieces. BTW, @ Lars: what instrument do you play? Or are you a growlin' vocalist? If the latter is the case, well, sorry, I don't think I like your music: one of the things I really don't like in death metal is the vocal style. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 03:22

Ugo:
Indeed we have growling/screaming vocalists. But I'm a guitar/bass player and composer. My throat can't make a death metal noise!
Lars T

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 15:01

Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 11 2010, 09:22)
But I'm a guitar/bass player and composer.

Off topic, @ Lars: composer? Is there really anything in death metal that can be composed? :laugh: :D I'm joking, of course. I know that what sounds like pure noise to my ears [and paradoxically I like Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music a lot! :)] is great music to yours, and to a lot other people. Have you got anything from the band you play in for me (us) to listen to? What's the name of your band?

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 21:00

Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 11 2010, 03:22)
Ugo:
Indeed we have growling/screaming vocalists. But I'm a guitar/bass player and composer. My throat can't make a death metal noise!
Lars T

Joke time: it just goes to show what living in an Abba dominated country can drive people to!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 00:29

I don't hate it, I adore it. You should have named this thread
"Conflict, Why does everyone seem to hate conflict except for Jim?"

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 09:10

@Ugo I am not a techno fan. If there is something I dislike it's techno. That is also one of the reasons I don't like TBIII that much.
The music of TBIII sounds too cold and techno for me.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 11:02

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 10 2010, 17:41)
If you are into techno then it's rather obvious that you love "Conflict", as it its repetitive, drum-machine-loop-like beat (although it's actually not a drum machine, or not entirely) is almost a proto-techno thing. :)

I don't know, really; the kind of "loop" of Conflict is much more tied to aboryginal music than anything else. If there's anything on Mike's oeuvre that can be considered "proto-techno" is Guilty, since that kind of disco rhythm was the genesis for House music, which then branched into trance, techno and so on and on.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 13:39

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 12 2010, 17:02)
Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 10 2010, 17:41)
If you are into techno then it's rather obvious that you love "Conflict", as it its repetitive, drum-machine-loop-like beat (although it's actually not a drum machine, or not entirely) is almost a proto-techno thing. :)

I don't know, really; the kind of "loop" of Conflict is much more tied to aboryginal music than anything else. If there's anything on Mike's oeuvre that can be considered "proto-techno" is Guilty, since that kind of disco rhythm was the genesis for House music, which then branched into trance, techno and so on and on.

@ Sir M.: well, regardless of what the loop was inspired by, it is a loop. And there also is a loop in "Celt", which is slightly more shakey than the one in "Conflict". What I meant to say is that the repetitiveness of a loop-based drum rhythm is something that, at least to my ears, is present in techno music just like it is present in "Conflict". "Guilty" is not proto-techno or proto-anything, as Mike wasn't generating anything with it; rather, he was unshamedly climbing on the disco bandwagon... more so on the Exposed version than anywhere else. :)

@ nightspore: I don't think Sweden is Abba-dominated any longer, these days. Also, as far as I know, there are lots and lots of Scandinavian bands who play similar or identical genres to what Lars plays... I don't think that every single one of them was born as a reaction against sugary pop dominating the Scandinavian charts, there must have been a strong undercurrent going a long time before that. [Yes, I know that yours was a joke, but it's true that sometimes heavy rock is born as a reaction against sugary pop - although that doesn't seem to me to be the case in Sweden.] By the way, Australia, IIRC, also used to be Abba-dominated in the Seventies. And Italian pop is currently dominated by androgynous-looking, pseudo-rock boybands à la Tokio Hotel, but they don't make anyone scream their heads off by doing death metal, which is not a popular genre down here. Pseudo-post-punk (Green Day style) is much more popular. :)

@ HR lover: if you're not into techno, what is the fast and loud music that you're into? I'm curious... :)

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2010, 06:55

Quote (Scatterplot @ Sep. 12 2010, 00:29)
I don't hate it, I adore it.

Je t'adore too. :cool:

Fantastic drum beat, clever layering, and nifty incorporation of the Bach tune. All in all a very satisfying *blow* it out your system track.

Leaves me feeling - phew, feel better for that!!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2010, 09:09

@Ugo I never said I was into any fast and loud music, what I meant to say is that all my live I've heard crappy music and although I tried not to listen to any of it, my sister likes it, and when ever we play radio I have to listen to that nonsense all the time. I've always enjoyed some real music with feelings in them, but I guess people just like to be stunned with the same repetetive sounds over and over again.

--------------
Profile PM 
25 replies since Sep. 08 2010, 14:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net