Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Computergame< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Larsa Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 09 2002, 05:55

Hello from a newcomer to this site!

Several years ago I got a computergame titled "Tubular Bells" made by Nu Wave Software in 1986 for the Commodore 64/128.

Since my C64 went in the trash several years before I found this item I have never played it.

The very cool cover has a space station shaped like the crooked bell hovering above earth and on the back it says "Music by Mike Oldfield". Has anyone heard the music in this game? Or played the game?

Since the software is on tape I haven't found a way to get the data into my Mac (there are C64 emulators out there).

Any information on this software would be nice!

Lars
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 09 2002, 15:00

Some emulators will allow you to play a tape in and record it as an audio file, and then create a kind of 'tape image' from that which the emulator can load.

I'll have a look around and see what I can find out about the game.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 09 2002, 15:44

If you have a little search in Google for c64+tubular+bells, you should find a .prg file of it that you can then run in an emulator (I used 'Power64' which I got from emulation.net).

The software I have found is by CRL and nuwave ...I think it would be best described as a digital acid trip accompanied by the sound of parts of Tubular Bells played by Jean Michel Jarre on a stylophone (ok, so it's really demonstrating the capabilities of the C64's SID chip, which is fast gaining a legendary status now). It becomes quite hypnotic after a while...

I think the programmers' finest moment is probably the sailor's hornpipe at the end.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 09 2002, 19:09

very interesting, must check it out smile...but how is the game itself?...

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 09 2002, 20:20

That's all there is - music with visuals, like the funny swirling pictures that MP3 players sometimes generate. It's possible that what Lars has is sometimg else, but as it's from the same programmer, I don't think that's the case. It's just another of those little digital jukebox programs created mostly to take advantage of the computer's built in synthesiser.

A little while ago, one fan started work on an altered version of an asteroids type game, for the Mac, which featured tubular bells. It was very amusing (and also quite addictive). Maybe when he finishes it, it'll see the light of day...
Profile PM 
Larsa Offline

Posted: April 10 2002, 13:41

Thanks Corgscrew!

Seems like I will keep it for the cool cover and to keep alive fond memories of old computer systems.

Larsa
Profile PM 
Tr3s Lunas Offline

Posted: April 10 2002, 14:22

I got it on an emulator!!!

And it´s G R E A T!!!

.-. .- -.. .. --- .- -.-. - .. ...- .. - -..--

•MiG3 >>Dans leurs cactus, il y a des cactus.

--------------
http://starmen.net/petition
...do it for the kids!!!
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 10 2002, 19:42

cool!...thanks for the info, the space invaders game sounds great as well...someone should make an oldfield sims skin!...

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
7 replies since April 09 2002, 05:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net