Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Compilations- which is the best?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 14 2000, 05:32

Which compilation album of Mike Oldfield's work- eg. CMO, Elements, XXV- do users think is the best? Do some users prefer the Elements 4-cd set or just the Best of Elements? (Is that a Best of Best of Mike Oldfield?)

Personally, I have only heard the Complete Mike Oldfield, which is a great compilation, even if it does only cover the years from TB to The Killing Fields (but is that a bad thing?)

What do others think?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2000, 09:14

IMO the best best of rolleyes are The Element 4-CD Set and the complete, because they both contained rare tracks... Even if there are very few of them frown
If you want to help someone to discover MO's works, it depends of what music he likes...
If he likes nowadays music, maybe XXV is more appropriate, if he likes pop music, maybe it's The Complete or Elements that time. It really depends of your taste and with MO you have the choice !
Of course, you can also make your own best of :P !

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2000, 10:14

"XXV: The Essential" was the one that had me converted. So it is probably a good compilation, though now I'm more familiar with Mikes work I think a lot of "essential" stuff has been left out (what is this? nothing from "Amarok" or "Platinum").

"Elements" the 4cd set, is easily the best as it is the most comprehensive collection of tracks from his studio albums and has the most rare tracks of any compilation. The "Elements" single CD is more concentrated on his songs than his instrumentals, and most of the instrumentals on this aren't exactly his greatest ("Portsmouth", "In Dulci Jubilo", "Etude", "Ommadawn Opening Theme")

"The Complete Mike Oldfield" is great because of the incredible live section and it does contain some rare tracks but these are mostly of the "happy jolly hornpipey/folky singles" type ("Portsmouth" "Blue Peter" "Cuckoo Song" "William Tell Overture" "In Dulci Jubilo" etc.)

Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2001, 12:27

Well, I now know which is the worst:

"The Best Of Tubular Bells"

Seriously though, my ranking of the compilations are:

1. "Elements" boxed set
2. "The Complete Mike Oldfield"
3. "XXV: The Essential Mike Oldfield"
4. "Elements" single CD
5. "Boxed"
6. "The Best Of Tubular Bells"

Profile PM 
3 replies since Nov. 14 2000, 05:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net