Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Comparison to Amarok, (no, honestly, come with me on this…)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 24 2013, 06:45

In an interview in the latest edition of Dark Star Mike mentions that he was basically making Amarok up as he went along. He'd do a demo section with synths and a sequencer, then replace each bit with real instruments (though clearly not all as there are some synth on the finished album).

Anyway, that made me think about Light + Shade and Tr3s Lunas: if they were conceived in a similar way, how great might they have been if Mike had taken that last few steps and replaced more of the synth then put all the pieces together rather than having a series of disparate tracks.

I know they weren't conceived as long instrumentals, and that's part of it, but… well, just thinking about it.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 25 2013, 12:45

That's a big IF.
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 26 2013, 04:22

No this is...

Intriguing idea though.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 26 2013, 12:42

To me it doesn't have to do with the use of fake instruments but with hard work. I've noticed I like his pieces that he put lot of energy into (and that's not the case for all artists I like).
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 26 2013, 14:49

Lol @ Cam

What Olivier said above makes a lot of sense to me. Personally it seems like Mike spent a lot of time, energy and passion on Amarok. And for Light + Shade I don't feel that same level of inspiration.
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since Nov. 24 2013, 06:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net