Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Comments on Millennium Bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Spirit Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 04 1999, 06:21

Hej you guys, Lawrence and the rest of you,

I strongly feel it's time for a woman having an opinion in this matter; "Millennium Bell"
is absolutely great. As always, Mike is ahead of his time. It's a longlasting album
and has been created in order to the live performance on NYE (wishing I could be in Berlin that evening). Here we are reminded of Vangelis and Jean-Michel Jarre - but we're not talking about Mike being influenced by them. Instead, I feel that Mike is inspired just like the title is saying; a summery of what's been going on the last 2000 year's and what may be ahead of us.

My favourite above all, besides the titletrack, is "Pacha Mama", a tribute to Macchu Pichu in Peru but also a story about the evolution itself. "Santa Maria" is very uplifting with its chorals and the higly spiritual emotions flowing through. "Sunlight Shining Through Cloud" is a brilliant piece of work - will we ever figure it out - while "Dodge's Palace" just sweeps your feet off the ground - it's like being part of a spectacular piece of an opera play, and don't you just love the romantic tunes in "Broad Sunlit Uplands"! "Liberation" is a growing favourite and probably a "typical Oldfield" sound to those who's not yet all too impressed by this album. The last two tracks, "Amber Light" and "Millennium Bell" has a lot of energetic vibes that brings people together, it's got this all worldwide understanding and sums up parts of the album - and I just love the techno part in it!

For those who still don't get it, I understand this is a true Millennium Album as it's very female, and brings out the inner woman in all of us (including men), which was the next century is all about, I think (i.e. co-operation, togetherness, equalness, forgiveness, unconditional love etc).

And may I add, this has nothing to do with New Age, at least not for me. It's just a way of life, and that's it. Mike has done it again - this is a masterpiece.

/
Spirit Swede
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 05 1999, 05:07

I agree.

Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 05 1999, 13:01

I agree as well. It's sad that there are people posting to the site ripping this album up. As much as I like Mike's guitar work, I'm glad that he doesn't release the same guitarfest over & over again. One of the things that makes Mike such a musical genius is his quest to do different things. TMB is a beautiful album that improves with each listen.

Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 13 1999, 14:52

I am a great Mike's fan, I love Voyager and all Bellz ( Opus One smile, Breakfast In Bed II smile and TB III ), but... Millennium Bell's dissapointing. It's cool, but... it's an end of him.
mike arnold Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 1999, 11:50

Excellent review Spirit. Truly excellent. Couln't have put it any better.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 15 1999, 12:09

Hi Spirit, this is Andi speaking, one of those who don't like the new album too much... but I must admit, it's a complete new point of view to look at it as a summary of all the female parts in us. I think it over!

Andi.
Spirit Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 1999, 14:13

Hey you guys - Andi, Mike, Thomas, Pat etc.

Great to hear your comments. Keep on talking...And to those of you - i.e. people in general - who's still not too fond of TMB but at least have the willingness to try to understand it, I'll give you an extra plus!

C'mon, honestly; do we want Mike's music
to be the same over and over again? Nah,
that's not really the reason for us adoring his talents, am I right? So, when this genious make's another brilliant but indeed a very different non-expected album, we should be all enthusiastic, whether we like it or not - as we don't want him to be what's expected, right? I believe we want him to push it to the limit, and make a difference! I mean, we all get bored when people are doing things same-old, same-old.
If Mike have followed that path, we wouldn't have been his fans today, I'm sure - or???

Those of you who are still critical and
negative towards TMB; have you given it a
chance? Perhaps the album is a growing piece of work - like some of you have said - and will therefore be a long-lasting one, as albums should be, and a truly Millennium Album. Who knows.

Me, I'm longing to hear a singing track from Mike. I attended his concert in Stockholm this summer and heard bits of singing, sounded great. Does anyone agree?

To those of you who'll be attending Mike's concert in Berlin - I envy you sooooo very much, and please give us a detailed review afterwards.

Cheers
Spirit
Profile PM 
gorjanbak Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 1999, 15:13

I agree with a lots of you.This album is one of the best of MO.I like the orchestra and the guitars on it.My favorit tracks are
1.Pacha Mamma
2.Peace on Earth
3.Amber Light
4.Lake Constance
I like this album and I say that is better album of 45 briliant min. of music than 70 min.of some rototom music
Profile PM 
7 replies since Dec. 04 1999, 06:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net