Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Comments from Mike as he buys new Quested speakers, Deep thoughts from Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 27 2012, 11:55

Mike has recently made a few comments to speaker supplier Quested after purchasing some studio monitors from them. The comments can be found in the news section of their website.

Not many comments to go on and what is said is open to interpretation - is "the project of a lifetime" his work on remastering his back catalogue of work or something new entirely? However Mike certainly seems to be working on *something*.

Thanks to Blue Dolphin for spotting this and letting us know!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 27 2012, 18:31

Hmm..

Mike = "can I have a discount if I let you you use my name on your website?"

Quested = "Mike who?" <quick, quote him 10% extra then knock 10% off as a favour for an old muso fart>

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: April 27 2012, 19:21

Hmm..

Mike = "can I have a discount if I let you you use my name on your website?"

Quested = "Mike who?" <quick, quote him 10% extra then knock 10% off as a favour for an old muso fart>

That would still be a cheaper deal.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
MrRcorn Offline

Posted: April 28 2012, 17:59

"the project of a lifetime"

Oh i cant wait. Samples WE need SAMPLES.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: April 29 2012, 05:42

complete guess work isn't it really.  

How about a massive world tour for the 40th anniverary of Tubular Bells in 2013 with live audio visual FX but keeping the number of live musicians down?
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: April 29 2012, 06:28

Quote (captainjjb @ April 29 2012, 10:42)
complete guess work isn't it really.  

How about a massive world tour for the 40th anniverary of Tubular Bells in 2013 with live audio visual FX but keeping the number of live musicians down?

Oh gosh, wouldn't that be great?

Don't see it happening though, sadly.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
jjmillenium Offline

Posted: April 29 2012, 08:16

thinking of that....probably it will be his last record...think on a moment, it's his last album with Mercury, and he it's thinking a lot of time on the retirement...and next year 40th anniversary of Tubular Bells, and the project of a lifetime...
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: April 30 2012, 10:49

The quoted project of a lifetime is almost certainly the back-catalogue stuff, it just makes too much sense. I'd like to be proved wrong though!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: April 30 2012, 13:38

The quoted project of a lifetime is almost certainly the back-catalogue stuff, it just makes too much sense. I'd like to be proved wrong though!

I fear you may be right, but the possibility of something special for the T.B. 40th anniversary gives me some hope. What if Tubular.net were to ask Mike what he's working on?
....and would we get an answer?

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: April 30 2012, 17:39

Just wondering...

In the logo of the "Q" on the Quested website, is it some tubular bells floating in the wind??
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 01 2012, 09:51

Quote (Drealm @ April 30 2012, 23:39)
Just wondering...

In the logo of the "Q" on the Quested website, is it some tubular bells floating in the wind??

Yes, you're right! Those are hanging tubular bells!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 03 2012, 03:14

I doubt the project of a lifetime is the back catalogue thins, as he has been making those album his whole life already, meaning he is going back over old ground, project of a life-time, to me would infer something new, that he has been building upto his whole life.  :)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 03 2012, 05:53

Something new would be the most exciting prospect IMHO, I guess I am just trying not to get too excited yet until there is more concrete information. The other info in the news item was:
so even though the V3110s have a smooth frequency response to 30Hz, some of the low frequency samples in Mike's arsenal of sounds needed even greater bass extension

Which made me wonder, new samples for working on something new or maybe Amarok 5.1 which he's mentioned wanting to do?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Ingvar V Offline

Posted: May 03 2012, 07:15

Hopefully this "project of a lifetime" will have more meat on the bones than his latest three … or four albums. I hope to see something like TB2, Amarok or the first three albums. But, one can only hope … and I'm not an optimist …
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 04 2012, 17:57

Project of a life time probably does refer to something new I think. Sounds interesting anyway. Much as I would love to see  Amarok re-released and go through a much deserved reappraisal part of me would like to see it left alone. I'd much rather see a third album in the Ommadawn, Amarok cannon.  It strikes me there's a much stronger musical vein there than there is in the TB sequels.

Interestingly dull fact of the evening. Andy Cato from Groove Armada bought Mike's old monitor speakers from him when he left the UK.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: May 04 2012, 20:14

I would say "the project of a lifetime" doesn't sound at all to me as a bunch of remasterings. That has to be something new, and really interesting.

Knowing Mike it can be all sorts of things. Might be a double album with new stuff, or even something really unexpected.

I imagine after making 'Spheres' if he was to take over himself he might project something really BIG.

Could be a gigantic music event. No, I really think something interesting is on the way...  :cool:

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: May 04 2012, 23:53

Hopefully, this means something new and exciting.  The last album "Music of the Spheres" was his best album in quite a long while, IMHO.  

The only remastering project, for which could be, the project of a lifetime... AMAROK.  

My biggest fear would be yet another Tubular Bells project, sequel, fourquel, fifthquel... how many times can you do it without making your fans feel like a dead horse!?!  If this is truly his last album, it needs to have NOTHING to do with or have any references to, Tubular Bells!  After forty years, it's time to get over it and move on.  He's a very talented man and in the last 14 years he has managed Tubular Bells every few years.

I should put some calls into friends in LA and start posing questions to people who can get me into contact with the people he has been working with.  I've got a few names.  Time to go fishing ;)

To Be Continued...
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: May 05 2012, 04:05

It will be the 40th anniversary of TB next year !
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: May 06 2012, 17:03

2013 will be the 40th anniversary of tubular bells, it is the greatest part of his canon of work, it certainly has been the project of his lifetime, I wonder what awaits us... only time will tell.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 07 2012, 14:53

But he was working with that lyricist and all that....
I bet he's working on an opera.  :/

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
45 replies since April 27 2012, 11:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net