Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Collaborations, Back where it belongs< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
trcanberra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 03:14

Hurray - my copy of Boxed finally arrived in-store after a 5+ week wait.  Straight to the PC and Collaborations is back where it belongs - on a disc of its own.

I can't believe they couldn't manage a separate CD for it, they could have saved the cost of the labelled text which ruins the front cover, plus all the notices about what they have done in the booklet and elsewhere.

Anyway, will post my thoughts on Collaborations (back in my collection after 20 years) when I have had a chance to listen.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 08:07

The running order of the original Collaborations was quite good too.Bedford stuff then the stuff with Les Penning but dumping the tracks over the 3 cds spoils it.I don't know about you but i tend too drift off to sleep listening to Oldfield (after maybe some herbal sleeping remedies maybe....)and it rather spoils the effect after Tubular Bells to have In Dulci Jubilo afterwards.Gret track in it's own right but it really doesn't sit well in this setting.Stop being so cheap Virgin!!!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 17:13

Quote (The Caveman @ Feb. 26 2008, 08:07)
The running order of the original Collaborations was quite good too.Bedford stuff then the stuff with Les Penning but dumping the tracks over the 3 cds spoils it.I don't know about you but i tend too drift off to sleep listening to Oldfield (after maybe some herbal sleeping remedies maybe....)and it rather spoils the effect after Tubular Bells to have In Dulci Jubilo afterwards.Gret track in it's own right but it really doesn't sit well in this setting.Stop being so cheap Virgin!!!

Agree with you entirely - I put the tracks back in the order they belong.

Had a laugh about the sleeping, we listened to the Boxed TB last night, I was awake, my wife nodded off.  So, I erm, turned up the volume a wee bit for Jubilo - certainly woke her up   :cool:
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2008, 05:39

Wow - my eldest even painted an awesome custom cover for my Collaborations CD - will have to get her to scan it in if she doesn't mind.

Here it is:

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 07:06

You have a very talented child!And very well educated musically.My daughters are being 'trained' when they come stay with me.My oldest (11 going on 18)is also learning guitar.She loves TB and Ommadawn and remembers dancing round to the first cd of The Complete as a toddler.However my youngests obsession with Syd Barretts 'Effervesing Elephant' is frankly worrying!!

--------------
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 16:23

Quote (The Caveman @ Feb. 29 2008, 07:06)
You have a very talented child!And very well educated musically.My daughters are being 'trained' when they come stay with me.My oldest (11 going on 18)is also learning guitar.She loves TB and Ommadawn and remembers dancing round to the first cd of The Complete as a toddler.However my youngests obsession with Syd Barretts 'Effervesing Elephant' is frankly worrying!!

that looks a bit "pot head pixies" to me.  Fab
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 18:47

Quote (captainjjb @ Feb. 29 2008, 16:23)
Quote (The Caveman @ Feb. 29 2008, 07:06)

that looks a bit "pot head pixies" to me.  Fab

Yes, I think that was the look she was going for  :)

She listened to the CD a few times and decided as it was a bit retro, and a bit of a strange collection, the cover she painted suited.  I think it looks great in the case.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2008, 03:19

Look out here come the octave doctors!!Gotta love Gong!!

--------------
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 18:47

That painting is AMAZING!  I love it!  I can't get my kid to even hold a pencil!
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 04:46

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 03 2008, 03:19)
Look out here come the octave doctors!!Gotta love Gong!!

Very much so Caveman. THat is what I thought when I looked at that painting. Very good painting. And also love GONG as well. :)

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 05:06

And any band that has Steve Hillage on guitar has got to be good.The whole band actually are masters of there instruments.
 Ahhhhh back when Virgin were a great label.Acyaully before i was even born!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 06:21

Quote (The Caveman @ April 11 2008, 05:06)
And any band that has Steve Hillage on guitar has got to be good.The whole band actually are masters of there instruments.
 Ahhhhh back when Virgin were a great label.Acyaully before i was even born!!!

And don't forget the amazing Alan Hodsworth. Another brilliant guitarist.

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 06:39

Holdsworth's tenure was a little further into their jazz-rock fusion bit,which i must admit is where i stop.The Flying Teapot trilogy plus Gong Live is my favourite period.After that i'm not so keen (except i have Downwind for Mike Oldfield's contribution).But  i agree,Alan Holdsworth was/is scarily good although not really to my taste.
Isn't he the guy with the obsession foor real ale?Although i no longer drink i used to enjoy a pint or two of good English strong ale so for that he should be applauded.None of yer Bass Best crap here thank you! :p

--------------
Profile PM 
12 replies since Feb. 26 2008, 03:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net