Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Classic Rock Review of TB2009, by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 08 2009, 21:14

The Summer 2009 (no. 134) issue of Classic Rock (UK) contains a nice, two-page review of TB2009 written by none other than Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree. The article features a new photo of Mike at the mixing desk. Steven says that he actually prefers Hergest Ridge but gives TB a very good review.

Thanks, Richard Patrick!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 09 2009, 14:21

It's about time a Mike Oldfield record was reviewed by somebody that doesn't hate Mike Oldfield. It's even more about time that somebody speaks the truth - that TB was good but then it got better. The people need to know that!  :D

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 09 2009, 20:09

I absolutely love Steven Wilson's work, and can't wait to read his review.

In case anyone is unfamiliar with Steven......

Interviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU17ygGemw0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAmX1DOSq5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HMHL_gHBRw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BClzBQmZZBc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cJwLcBW3Ow

http://www.swhq.co.uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Wilson

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 09 2009, 20:50

I'd love to see a scan of it!

From these new prog rock bands,Porcupine Tree is by far my favorite,and Steven Wilson's imput is great.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: July 14 2009, 20:57

Does anyone has got the mag?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: July 17 2009, 10:04

I want it too. Someone for a scan ?

Please.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: July 17 2009, 11:59

Remind me in two weeks when I get it and I will send you a scan of it...

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 

Posted: July 19 2009, 18:30

Saw today the mag for sale here,I did take a quick look on the review,it's nice....didn't buy it 'cause was too expensive.

About the pic,I think it was taken circa 2005,since I could reconize Roughwood Croft's conservatory(which was part of Mike's studio then).

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 07:42

Would love to see a scan too. Thanks in advance!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 08:47

I'll be picking this up later.If i could scan i'd put it on here.Sorry guys.It's a shame you find it so hard to get hold of this stuff.Over here we can get this in supermarkets!I would suggest looking at getting a subscription.
 Classic Rock is a strange magazine.They seem permanently rooted in around 1983 on a lot of fronts.There reverence for all things to do with early 80's NWOBH(throws head back and screams)MEETTTTTAAAAALLL for example is very Spinal Tap.If anyone is left on the planet that hasn't seen Spinal Tap i suggest you go and purchase it now and then read Classic Rock.You'll see it immediately.On the other hand they have a healthy regard for prog (see the prog specials.The one with Mike will be in the pile of mags that avoid the re-cycling bin)and often mention Mike in a positive way so for that they can be forgiven a lot.Almost.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 13:51

Quote (The Caveman @ July 20 2009, 08:47)
I'll be picking this up later.If i could scan i'd put it on here.Sorry guys.It's a shame you find it so hard to get hold of this stuff.Over here we can get this in supermarkets!I would suggest looking at getting a subscription.
 Classic Rock is a strange magazine.They seem permanently rooted in around 1983 on a lot of fronts.There reverence for all things to do with early 80's NWOBH(throws head back and screams)MEETTTTTAAAAALLL for example is very Spinal Tap.If anyone is left on the planet that hasn't seen Spinal Tap i suggest you go and purchase it now and then read Classic Rock.You'll see it immediately.On the other hand they have a healthy regard for prog (see the prog specials.The one with Mike will be in the pile of mags that avoid the re-cycling bin)and often mention Mike in a positive way so for that they can be forgiven a lot.Almost.

Thats definitely all true. Classic Rock was or still is edited and put together by Mick Wall and the rest of the early 80's Kerrang brigade who think the golden era of all hard rock and heavy metal was the early to mid 80's. To be honest I don't begrudge them that view point, even though I think its an insanely narrow minded area of music. I kind of still like the fact that it all exists and there's a music magazine that's devoted to it all.

On another note I haven't seen a single other TB boxed set review in any of the other mainstream UK music mags. Maybe next months lot will have it in. It'll be telling in some ways if he's been completely snubbed by everybody yet again. Hopefully someone at Word or Mojo will at least give the album some credit of reappraisal.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 09:42

That would be why then.Didn't know that so thanks Toby.
I don't know why but i find a lot of metal bands laughable.Especially the ones who take themselves really seriously and don't see that they look like prats.Spinal Tap really hits the nail on the head.There's still plenty around.Yngwie J Malmstein is a prime contender.Technically amazing player but he's all pout and flash (and it has to be said flab now) and very little substance musically.
 Read an interview with the guitarist from Saxon and he said that he finds watching Spinal Tap very uncomfortable cos the guy who played Derek Smalls went on tour with them and a lot of his and indeed the whole bands characters were based on what he saw on the tour.Thank God For ROCK (not 'alf)
  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 11:31

Spinal Tap? Did someone say Spinal Tap? Sounds like my mag of choice!

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Opus 1 Offline

Posted: July 27 2009, 19:28

"But...this one goes up to eleven, right across the board, see - eleven, eleven, eleven"

Sorry couldn't resist   :laugh:

--------------
The mark of a skilled musician is to be able to play one note and mean it, not play zillions of notes and not mean it.

(www.myspace.com/markmonaghan)
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 28 2009, 11:14

None more black!

Ok lets all stop it now. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 29 2009, 03:58

Well we all know the best thing about Tubular Bells 2009 is that it's remastered in dubly!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2009, 10:14

Quote (yanouch65 @ July 17 2009, 11:59)
Remind me in two weeks when I get it and I will send you a scan of it...

Up  :)
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2009, 03:13

Has the scan been posted somewhere?

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Aug. 18 2009, 07:15

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Aug. 18 2009, 04:13)
Has the scan been posted somewhere?

Not yet...Yannick?

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2009, 10:16

Here are the links for the scans.

http://nsm02.casimages.com/img/2009/08/18/09081804181416234273725.jpg
http://nsm02.casimages.com/img/2009/08/18/09081804184916234273726.jpg

:)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
30 replies since July 08 2009, 21:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net