Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Classic FM Music Of The Spheres preview podcast< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 16:44

Classic FM's interview with Mike, including two short audio clips from Music Of The Spheres, is now available to download as a podcast from Classic FM's website.

Thanks, David
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 17:32

Sounds great and I love the enthusiasm Mike seems to have for this at the moment.

Can't wait for November!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
benediktmarkota Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 17:33

just a few seconds... not bad :-) but why again this tubular bells theme ?
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 18:26

Sounds promissing and the second excerpt reminded me a bit of the style of the Killing Fields soundtrack to me in terms of atmosphere.

And,well,the repeatitive piano line...it's Mike's personal mantra :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 18:45

Both parts remind me of sections of Tubular Bells (the second being reminiscent of what I think was called 'A minor tune' on Tubular Bells 2003...but I may be mixing things up! )...but I suspect part of that is simply how Classic FM and Universal have chosen to represent the album and the other is simply that...well...it's Mike Oldfield, isn't it? I don't think it's uncommon for different works from the same composer to share a similar kind of sound in some sections (it's not like they're exactly the same tune, just that they're reminiscent of those sections of the earlier work). That first clip does indeed remind of the opening of Tubular Bells, but I've heard works by other composers which it sounds equally similar to...it's not all that uncommon a kind of pattern to use.

Aaaanyway...I think it sounds promising. What will of course make or break it is how the sections all fit together as a whole. I'll be very interested to hear it, though.
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 19:00

Quote (benediktmarkota @ Aug. 10 2007, 17:33)

There's no tubular bells theme in the excerpts... there's a "rhythm piano" part, but it's not the same notes so...

Do people listen to U2 and say "why again this guitar rhythm?" (hearing the very recognizable guitar playing of 'the Edge' ).
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2007, 03:36

I like it!  :D

Looking foward to the full album.

It's really great to hear Mike sounding so happy and enthusiastic. He seems a lot more free with compliments these days and is much more at ease with being interviewed.
Can we hope for a live concert?

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2007, 05:16

This is as similar to Tubular Bells as TB2 or 3 were. I hope it's not too similar to TB throughout. I'm sure he's creative enough to come up with something completely new which is why I find it slightly frustrating to hear such similarities.

Anyway, I apologise for being a little negative and have to say I am still highly enthusiastic about this forthcoming album.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 11 2007, 06:50

I havent heard the Clip yet as I havent got on to a PC with Broadband Connection.. Does it sound "Very" similar to what weve heard before ??  Anyone reckon this new "Album" will Chart in the top 10 ..  With the Hayley  and Karl Jenkins Fans possibly buying copies it could well do... :cool:
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2007, 07:20

I guess you could say that the first clip is 'reminiscent' of Tubular Bells, but it certainly isn't a direct quote or anything like that. Of course anything that even slightly suggests TB will be blown up into a big thing by some people, but that's just the way it is I guess.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2007, 07:48

Quote (Deadcalm @ Aug. 11 2007, 06:50)
I havent heard the Clip yet as I havent got on to a PC with Broadband Connection.. Does it sound "Very" similar to what weve heard before ??  Anyone reckon this new "Album" will Chart in the top 10 ..  With the Hayley  and Karl Jenkins Fans possibly buying copies it could well do... :cool:

in top 10 of classical charts certainly ;)
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2007, 08:56

OMG...it was TWO teasers!  :O
At first I thought that the first 'snippet' was from the orchestral TB (wich I haven't heard).
But I think it was transforming a bit before the clip ended. Interesting!  :cool:

The other one makes me think of some movie score, like when things gets all sticky romantic or nostalgic. ( :zzz: )
To me it sounded like it was the end of some part or track.
I'd guess they've chosen these short snippets with care not to reveal too much about the total characteristics of the whole album.
So still I'm very curious!  ;)

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
GodGift Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Aug. 11 2007, 13:49

Quote (benediktmarkota @ Aug. 10 2007, 17:33)

Well... If you have read the book you would know :)
I think that new album will be great!!

--------------
What a lovely day!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2007, 14:54

This really sounds promising. The TB-similarity was a bit off-putting at first, but then I realized there was a Hergest Ridge vibe to one of the segments. I haven't bought a Mike Oldfield album since TSODE (which I sold immediately!), but will buy this one for sure.

I now love the fact that it's a classical album, because while Mike is still a good composer, I have started to dislike his ideas when it comes to intrumentation and production.

Goodbye programmed ethnic percussion, hello good tunes.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Mix Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2007, 16:54

Quote (Velodynamic @ Aug. 11 2007, 08:56)
OMG...it was TWO teasers!  :O The other one makes me think of some movie score, like when things gets all sticky romantic or nostalgic. ( :zzz: )
To me it sounded like it was the end of some part or track.
I'd guess they've chosen these short snippets with care not to reveal too much about the total characteristics of the whole album.
So still I'm very curious!  ;)

I also found the latter excerpt to be very cinematic. Mike really should do more soundtracks... he definitely can write music that is emotional and imaginative. Not all his albums have it, but most do. IMO "The Killing Fields" is not a kind of movie where Mike's music is best used, although the music he made for it is excellent. I can imagine some historical movies, maybe sci-fi, certainly romantic where his music would be more at home.

Here's an example of sorts... someone has made a video extract of movie "North & South", using "Lake Constance" as its soundtrack. Now, this music is not composed for this clip obviously, but IMO historical dramas such as this really could benefit from music by Mike. I have never seen North & South and have only little idea what is it about (didn't bother to Google yet). Sounds befitting to me, anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuZaauRUBow
Profile PM 
MrRcorn Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2007, 20:02

Sounds Wonderfull

Well i have downloaded , cut it up and have the Clip here for you to download 'n' for your enjoyment.

I hope the album is upto what people are exspecting and much more.

The Clip IS HERE to download.
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 12 2007, 05:06

Thank you Mr Rcorn  ,,, Got the thing to download Fine....
As the guy on the Radio said u cannt really do anything other than say Clip 1 is a TB1 reference and not a little 1 either..But it does sound good mind you!!.. I guess that is the Opening Tk....   The other clip is nice enough but way to short to give a comment really... Sounds like MO is a little hooked on this method of working as he said he wished the process would never end.. Maybe if this is a Hit we might get another!! :cool:
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2007, 07:02

Fantastic, sounds great, yet unmistakenly Mike.

This issue about the similarity to TB or mike using the repetitive rhytm piano? So what!! Personally i didnt think it resembled TB as much as some of you are making out.

If you heard this track on the radio without knowing it was Mike, would people say.. thats a rip off of tubular bells or would they appreciate it for what it was...a great piece of music.

Cant wait for the album.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2007, 07:55

the female presentar says - MO is playing guitar - i hope she's right
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2007, 09:09

Quote (torbenyj @ Aug. 12 2007, 13:55)
the female presentar says - MO is playing guitar - i hope she's right

On album he's supposed to play classic guitar.
Profile PM WEB 
59 replies since Aug. 10 2007, 16:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net