Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 06 2017, 07:27

:)
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2017, 07:31

Quote (Erick @ Feb. 06 2017, 07:27)
Quote (hellegennes @ Feb. 05 2017, 18:33)
That's fine. But if a musician isn't interested in chart placing, acceptance by others and can't be in a position to know if he has created great art, what would he/she be interested in when releasing a new work?

Usually artists enjoy the prospect to outdo themselves and to create great art (even if they are blind about it), they enjoy the creative process itself (the fleeting and illusory feeling of reaching some kind of perfection/absolute), and the exhibition/diffusion of their art; sales, acceptance and recognition must remain the icing on the cake, can be a good or a poison depending on their impact on the artist and his/her creativity. As you can see, there are lots of artists/musicians who keep releasing their work even if they have very few sales and recognition.

Are you a musician yourself, from Greece ? Do you enjoy RTO? I personally enjoy more its form than its substance, I wish it had been more uplifting. I really don't think happy-wealthy people can create great art, to achieve it you must be a spark in darkness and find the strength to turn it into a blazing fire (youthfulness and luck can help), MO has shined in this art.

loads of assumptions here.
Here's one of my own: people who make their money making music care about sales, charts and the like and Mike's no Exception!

the other one...Mike is wealthy and maybe happy? but he did release a really great work of art, so I would not agree with you there. Although, being an artist myself, I do find some truth in it. When I am less happy, the music (sometimes) reaches deeper.
Profile PM 
Erick Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2017, 09:15

Profile PM 
hellegennes Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2017, 05:43

Quote (Erick @ Feb. 06 2017, 07:27)
Quote (hellegennes @ Feb. 05 2017, 18:33)
That's fine. But if a musician isn't interested in chart placing, acceptance by others and can't be in a position to know if he has created great art, what would he/she be interested in when releasing a new work?

Usually artists enjoy the prospect to outdo themselves and to create great art (even if they are blind about it), they enjoy the creative process itself (the fleeting and illusory feeling of reaching some kind of perfection/absolute), and the exhibition/diffusion of their art; sales, acceptance and recognition must remain the icing on the cake, can be a good or a poison depending on their impact on the artist and his/her creativity. As you can see, there are lots of artists/musicians who keep releasing their work even if they have very few sales and recognition.

Are you a musician yourself, from Greece ? Do you enjoy RTO? I personally enjoy more its form than its substance, I wish it had been more uplifting. I really don't think happy-wealthy people can create great art, to achieve it you must be a spark in darkness and find the strength to turn it into a blazing fire (youthfulness and luck can help), MO has shined in this art.

No, I am not a musician, I am a civil engineer (and translator). I would have loved to be able to write music -I sometimes play my own music in my head- but I never learned how.

So far I absolutely adore RTO. For me, it's his best work in ages. Due to it being two continuous pieces, I feel like it's enough of a connection to Mike's earlier work on its own, but at the same time it is truly a continuation of Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge and Incantations and it has references to all three (plus references to TB, Voyager, Guitars, and more).

Wealthy people have created some of the best works of art in history. So, don't knock that. Happy people? I don't know. Art isn't always angsty, dark or melancholic and it shouldn't be. But it's hard to know if an artist was happy or not when he made some of his best work. I think Michael Jackson was for the first time in his life truly happy when he was making his Thriller album (for which he personally wrote Billie Jean, Beat It, The Girl Is Mine and Wanna Be Startin' Somethin).

It is perhaps easier to create art when you are in pain, because dark feelings are really powerful. Happiness, on the other hand, makes you being at ease, quiet and just wanting to do the things that you love and spend time with the people you love. So it is absolutely harder to create great art when you are happy. On the other hand, your mind is clearer and you can be more precise and technically perfect when you do create art under this condition. The good thing is that passion doesn't go away. You may have great passion both when you are in a difficult place in your life and when you are content. They are different forms of passion but can both be equally strong.
Profile PM 
Erick Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2017, 14:34

Profile PM 
Erick Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2017, 06:45

Profile PM 
25 replies since Jan. 25 2017, 10:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net