Sana rosana na rubir rabwana
Sana rosana rubir

Ruru rabwana saru ragi rama
Sana rosana rubir

Cana di goca
Nari ragi yana
Saba nomigo        (or "domigo")
Ruru ruwa rabwana

And these words are sung twice again, then once: "Sana rosana rubir".

I also listened the 10th Anniversary Concert-verse, not only the original one.

I ran afoul of division of the words because these words seem to be nonsense. For instance, the "na" syllable acts so many times that it could be even a single word. The first two lines are suspiciously corresponding, so that "na" in the first row also could be the repeating of the last syllable of "rosana". There are lots of possibilities, the real solution might be known only by Oldfield and Maggie Reilly.
The other thing is that I wrote it down with the spelling of something pseudo-Latin text and it's certainly not the only way. It also could be like this one:

Sana rosana na roobeer rabwana
Sana rosana roobeer

Roo roo rabwana saroo raghee rama
Sana rosana roobeer

Cana dee goca
Naree raghee yana
Saba nomeego       (or "domeego")
Roo roo roowa rabwana

EeToN

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Sgitheanach Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 31 2003, 20:11

There are lots of possibilities, the real solution might be known only by Oldfield and Maggie Reilly

There is no real "solution". As with Sheba, the words are completely meaningless and are used purely for their rhythmic and melodic potential, so it really doesn't matter *what* Maggie *actually* sang.

It's simply Mike's equivalent of the "diddle-de-dee" in the lyrics of much Irish folk music. Check out the singing of Christy Moore for some unique (and very fast!) examples of this.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2003, 18:25

Okay, here's my version, transcribed one year ago together with a friend of mine. It's phonetic, i.e. to be read exactly as it's written.

Sana rosana na ru bi rawana
Sana rosana rubir
Ru ru rawana 'rda lu rani rama
sana rosana rubir

Rana ribudàn, larihi ranirama
Sama to bigò, ru ru ru arawana...
etc.

There are some slight variations in this, i.e. the second time Mike [because it's him who's singing this!! :)] says 'ta lu' in the third line and 'darihi ranirana' in the fifth, and the third time he says 'narihi danirama' (always in the fifth line).

Yes, of course the words are meaningless, as this is only one of Mike's many experiments with the Vocoder. Sheba is even more senseless than this. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 10:39

Quote (Sgitheanach @ Jan. 31 2003, 20:11)
There is no real "solution". As with Sheba, the words are completely meaningless and are used purely for their rhythmic and melodic potential, so it really doesn't matter *what* Maggie *actually* sang.

I've written that these words seem to be non-sense for me (I'm just not 100% surely clear about it).
But if you listen all the live versions of Taurus II and also the original one, you'll see that the lyrics are EXACTLY the same everywhere. And this means to me that the lyrics of Taurus II has been put down and this should be the solution in our case. Otherwise, how could Maggie Reilly sing the same lyrics every time they played this track?
What is more, these lyrics has some rules (congenial words) - to give the impression of a real language.

Anyway, I agree with you that it doesn't matter, but I would like to have an absolutely precise lyrics book. I know I must be mad. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 19:36

...how could Maggie Reilly sing the same lyrics every time they played this track?

Just a little I-dotting and T-crossing about this: it's not Maggie Reilly who sings the Sana Rosana bit. It's Mike Oldfield with a telephone/Vocoder effect. Mike himself told me that. Believe it or not. :D. And if you don't believe me, ask Korgscrew and Tim Highfield. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 06 2003, 03:10

If you take a look at the tracksheet, I believe you'll find a track in that particular labelled 'maggs' - I think you'll find an answer in there...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2003, 16:57

Richard: yes, I noticed that 'maggs' a lot of time ago. But don't you remember what he told us? ;) Or was he jokin'? :)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2003, 21:57

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 05 2003, 19:36)
Just a little I-dotting and T-crossing about this: it's not Maggie Reilly who sings the Sana Rosana bit. It's Mike Oldfield with a telephone/Vocoder effect.

Isn't it possible that Mike's and Maggie's voice were blended and this was mixed with Vocoder?

On the concerts it's obviously Maggie who sings the tune.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
PICTURES IN THE DARK
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 12 2003, 14:34

ISN'T IT MAGGIE???? :/
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2003, 15:14

Mike said it was an experiment with his voice, trying to make it sound like some international phone call. :) But, when I think right now about that chat we had back then, I'm more and more convinced that it was not an entirely serious answer, and that the Sana Rosana bit is indeed sung by two voices blended into one [if it was only Maggie, I'd feel a little bit sorry about her beautiful voice being deformed like that! :)]. And anyway [excuse me if I always disagree with you, EeToN ;)] I think that the lyrics were not written anywhere - the very fact that there are variations in them suggests me that it was an improvisation. It's very easy to improvise a nonsense lyric the first time around and then repeat it exactly as it is two more times. At least to me it's easy. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2003, 18:54

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 12 2003, 15:14)
And anyway [excuse me if I always disagree with you, EeToN ;)] I think that the lyrics were not written anywhere - the very fact that there are variations in them suggests me that it was an improvisation. It's very easy to improvise a nonsense lyric the first time around and then repeat it exactly as it is two more times. At least to me it's easy. :)

No problem. ;) I also disagree with You. :D Do You think that these lyrics were recorded only once and succeeded immediately? If not, were the lyrics exactly the same in each try? If not, was it so easy to memorize the very last version without a sheet paper and perform it in a concert even after some months? It's possible, but I'm in doubt. :)

I assumed that the concert versions were exactly the same. What kind of variations do You think of?

Anyway, if Mike's and Maggie's voice were blended together, they had sung exactly the same lyrics, hadn't they?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2003, 12:29

This is my view: the less meaning have the 'lyrics', the easier it is to memorize them. A written version of it is certainly not something they couldn't do without - I myself learned to sing the lyrics to "Sana Rosana" after the third time I heard them, long before I even attempted to write them, and I sang them exactly through all of the piece. ;)
To take your points in their order:
1) IMHO, in Taurus II, the lyrics were improvised the first time around, and then Mike and Maggie (or whoever it was) re-heard what they sang and simply re-sang it. This explains the variations I was talking about [i.e. 'ta lu' in the third line and 'darihi ranirana' in the fifth during the second repetition of the words, and 'narihi danirama' (always in the fifth line) during the third repetition] - if the words had any sense, they would have remain unchanged through all of the three repetitions. The very fact that they change is an indicator, IMHO, that there is no meaning in them and that a written version of them [except maybe an handwritten one!] does not exist. :)  
2) The fact that both voices (if it's really two voices) sing the same thing is due to the very nature of the Vocoder. Someone sings (or speaks) something in it, then maybe other people sing anything into it (it could be as simple as a series of ooh-ooh-oohs), and the Vocoder 'sings' the words it already has in it, using the voice(s) who sang into it previously. I guess Korgscrew can explain this much better than me. :)
3) The concert version of course came together after hundreds of rehearsals (and this IMHO does not imply the presence of a written version - they could've used the studio recording as a basis for the rehearsals), so there can be no doubt that it was very similar, if not exactly equal, to the one on the record.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2003, 12:35

...And... still about written and unwritten words: Do you really think that Borda, Dee-ena, Labarto, Oncorta, Dolmonya, oh Resto, Recara, ah Reste Mena" (Hergest Ridge) was EVER written somewhere (again, excluding MS versions) ? Sorry, but I just don't think so. :)

P.S.: Please, don't call me "You" with a capital Y. I'm neither a King nor the Pope. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2003, 19:15

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 13 2003, 12:35)
P.S.: Please, don't call me "You" with a capital Y. I'm neither a King nor the Pope. :)

Sorry.  :D

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2003, 20:34

Your arguments are quite convincing but I have some additions:

"[i.e. 'ta lu' in the third line and 'darihi ranirana' in the fifth during the second repetition of the words, and 'narihi danirama' (always in the fifth line) during the third repetition]"

If I take you up correctly, you think about the 'saru', 'ranu' difference in connection with 'ta lu'. Well, at the first verse it's always 'ranu' and at the second verse it's always 'saru' and also the starting words of these lines aren't the same, why should these be the same?
In connection with 'darihi ranirana': I always hear this as 'narihi ragiyana' in each repetition (also in concerts).
Interesting how different our ears are. ;)

"...And... still about written and unwritten words: Do you really think that Borda, Dee-ena, Labarto, Oncorta, Dolmonya, oh Resto, Recara, ah Reste Mena" (Hergest Ridge) was EVER written somewhere (again, excluding MS versions) ? Sorry, but I just don't think so."

Well, the lyrics of Ommadawn was written down so it wouldn't be wondrous. :)

And what do you think about Taurus 1? The interesting fact in connection with it is that the lyrics during concerts is much longer than at the album version - but it's always the same in each concert. Also interesting that the line at 3:34 is the first line of the whole version you can hear only in concerts, but in concert the last line was sung then.

Still one thing to notice: There are pauses in album lyrics, and these fit to the concert lyrics (so many lines were left out so many Maggie sang in a concert during a "pause" on album). Perhaps originally the introduction of Taurus 1 had got the whole lyrics or perhaps the lyrics of these pauses were found out later.

So the lyrics of Taurus 1 on QE2 is something like this:

Di
Ola rinzo mento dri
Soma letro ento si
Bas larando eltu los
Bas masento chento yos

Es vigato meldaven

In concerts you can hear this:

Elta saru asbave
Elba saru lasbate
Sabi vito esbestel
Naiu luto tebenel
Ola rinzo mento dri
Soma letro ento si
Nesta shedo fadmasa
Asma shedo yaspalna
Bas larando eltu los
Bas masento chento yos
Checen dama perlato
Setri rama veltoso
Id bivita donaca
Mid be senta ronaca
Es vigato meldaven
Yelba gato selbaven

Elta saru asbave

Is it easy to memorize all of these lines in order? :) Not really, Maggie occasionally inverted the lines but she never inverted the words in the lines.

Note: this part became the Deep Deep Sound part in Taurus II with English lyrics.

P.S.: I don't think that these lyrics have meaning but because Mike used quite so many unknown languages like Xhosa, Hindi or Inca, it's not unimaginable to me. :)

P.P.S.: Anyway, both Taurus 1 & II are undescribably great tracks IMHO. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2003, 21:24

You guys! I sure know what I like about being an MO fan!  :D
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2003, 19:31

sorry - but to add to the last reply, and to enhance it -

get a life.

do you like the track? does it sound like the best thing mike or anybody ever put down?

Can maggie sing?

yes?

don't take it to pieces, adore it. Hum it in your head. Sing along. Drink whiskey and dance around.

Does mike really care?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2003, 20:11

Quote (olracUK @ Nov. 18 2003, 01:31)
Does mike really care?

[JOKEY REPLY]

Of course he doesn't - he never did, as he doesn't make music for us but for himself. :) And of course he couldn't ever give a damn about a bunch of crazed, pseudo-intellectual fans literally tearing one of his most perfect creations to shreds. :D  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
27 replies since Aug. 27 2001, 16:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net