Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Chant in HR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 11 2000, 18:42

Hi everybody.As you all [probably smile] know, there's a chant in Hergest Ridge,at the end of its two parts.I don't know what is the language they are singing (Celtic? Gaelic? Invented?).Is there someone out there who can help me?

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 04-11-2000).]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Cipher Offline

Posted: April 12 2000, 07:38

Mmm, a interesting question. But these "lyrics" seem like just background vocals without a structure or lyrics "per se", don't you? But maybe someone has a fantastic amplifier that can make more clear these vocal sounds and tell us if they are lyrics or not... I really look forward the are! What can they say, then?
Profile PM WEB 
Cipher Offline

Posted: April 12 2000, 07:40

Ops, mistype in last reply: it should say "I'm looking forward they are! What could they say, then?" Sorry
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2000, 16:46

Welcome, Ugo! can you give us the exact time, please?

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 12 2000, 18:21

Hi,CarstenKuss.I was wrong in my first message; i.e. the chant is only in Part 2, from 3:15 to 5:06 and then at the end, from 11:19 to 18:00.
--Ugo

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 04-14-2000).]

--------------
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 13 2000, 17:53

I heard nothing from 11:19 to 18:00 just the loud storm section and I just very very feintly got a slight bit of lyrics from 3:15 to 5:06 which sounded a bit like aahs but it might have just been my imagination

I have the LP version which I made a recording of on minidisc. Probably if you've got the CD version the lyrics are a bit clearer. I'm told that the mixes of two versions are very different and the one to go for is the LP so I managed to find it in a very good second hand record shop but I'm interested to hear what the CD's like
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 14 2000, 06:01

Sorry, 2distorted...the times I refer to are from Part 2 of the CD version. (i.e. the second chant, for example, starts two minutes AFTER the thunderstorm section.) Believe me, what I hear in those points is VERY distinguishable as lyrics, even though, as I stated in my topic-starting message, I don't know at all what kind of language is being sung!!

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 04-14-2000).]

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 14 2000, 19:31

Hey, Mike...I heard you too are an Internet surfer. So if you're out there right now, can YOU help me? smile smile smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 15 2000, 22:32

I'm going to go a bit off topic here...

2distortedguitars is right - the mix that's on the CD is very different in places. This mix was done by Mike for the 'Boxed' 4 LP set. Some editions of the LP also have this mix - if you're after the original mix, check the number of the record carefully (I know for a fact that OVED163 is one with the remix, and there may be some others).
It won't come as much of a suprise if I say that the vocals have been brought to the fore in the remixed version, meaning that you can hear the lyrics (they are there in the original, just very quiet).
What language are they in? That I wouldn't know - I'd always assumed they were made up. They certainly don't soud like any celtic language to me...maybe something closer to latin or something (though I don't think latin itself)...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 16 2000, 06:20

What language are they in? That I wouldn't know - I'd always assumed they were made up. They certainly don't sound like any celtic language to me...maybe something closer to latin or something (though I don't think latin itself)...

OK, Korgscrew. So it seems you're the right person to help me in getting at least a partial transcription of those 'lyrics' !

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 04-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 04-16-2000).]

--------------
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 17 2000, 08:03

hello everyones

Maybe someone with a woooooonderfull Amp', a marvellous Dolby C and good hears or a 'magical artifact soundcard' will be able to hear some lyrics in The Orchestral Hergest Ridge Part 2 (3:52 and 15:40)?
And there's also words (or non words) in ThunderStorm (12:59), but say 'good luck' to those who will try to understand them !!!
(See Album Forum (HR) then Hergest Ridge Question)

[This message has been edited by GMOVJ (edited 04-18-2000).]

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 17 2000, 18:29

No, there's no lyrics in the Thunderstorm section...just some random vocal sounds made with an effect box (a kind of a primitive Vocoder), just like the muffled vocal sounds on the double bass section of TB.

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 18 2000, 21:13

I've been investigating things closer...here's where I've got to so far.

I initially thought that the lyrics might be in a language related to Latin...on listening to the lyrics closely and doing a bit of checking up, I don't think they are. Going by the sound of the lyrics on Ommadawn, there is the possibility that the HR lyrics are in Gaelic (the fact that Clodagh Simmonds was vocalist on both albums could add strenght to that), even though I reckoned that they aren't in any kind of celtic language (I still think that, but I'm not sure I would have identified Ommadawn's as being celtic either).
The fact that the same sequence of words is repeated makes me think that there is some kind of meaning to the words, but I might be wrong again...
I'll try and do a transcription, which will either make things easier or more difficult ;-)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 18 2000, 21:28

GMOVJ is right - there are vocals on the 'thunderstorm' section of the Orchestral Hergest Ridge. As far as I can tell, there are no lyrics - just basic 'aah's. The vocal parts in the sections we're teying to figure out are sung by an opera singer on OHR and it always seems difficult to tell what words opera singers are actually singing...
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 19 2000, 06:02

G'day all

Originally posted by Korgscrew:
I'll try and do a transcription, which will either make things easier or more difficult ;-)

Great, if you can do this 'phonetical transcription', i've got an Irish friend who speak Gaelic, and she may be able to understand, and translate it in pseudo-english. And well, I should make her listen HR too !

And for OHR, yes, that's only 'booo haaaa haaa haaa'... Not very explicit !

[This message has been edited by GMOVJ (edited 04-19-2000).]

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 19 2000, 06:27

Many thanx, GMOVJ and Korgscrew!!
...In the meantime there's a strong possibility that I'll also try to do a transcription and, hopefully, I'll post it on this forum!

--------------
Profile PM 
Vinz Offline

Posted: April 19 2000, 07:23

Hello everyone,

I suppose you think that... the lyrics mean something.
What about this ? And if those lyrics mean nothing as in Incantations ? There are words, but they don't mean anything !
After all, why not ? Mike has already done this several times, like in QE2, I guess (?)
Well, it's an opinion...

[This message has been edited by Vinz (edited 04-19-2000).]

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 19 2000, 15:09

Hi, Vinz...
maybe you are not aware that the Incantations lyrics not only mean something, but they make perfect sense, since they are taken from a poem by Longfellow... smile
As for the HR chant, first let me (or somebody else out here) transcribe it: then we can decide whether it means something or not. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 19 2000, 18:08

OK everybody.Here's my own transcription of the chant.I tried to write it as closely to English phonetics as possible.

O-LA-BEE-YEH-NA
LAMATO ONKHOTA
ONGUSTO REKA AH

This is repeated three times near the beginning and only once towards the end of HR Part 2.
Anyway, I agree with you, GMOVJ: most of these sound very like the meaningless sounds used in 'Sheba' (QE2).

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 19 2000, 18:16

Two additions to my latest message...

The only words who seem to make sense, at least in Italian, are LAMATO and ONGUSTO.

"Lamato", written as "L'amato", means "The loved one" (masculine).

"Ongusto" may be a shortened form of "Con gusto". This literally means "tasteful" or "having a great taste", but it is also a musical term meaning that a piece is to be performed in an emphatic manner, as if the player (or singer) was greatly enjoying it.

...And, of course, "ARMONIA" (maybe a bit masked in the chant) means "harmony".

--------------
Profile PM 
47 replies since April 11 2000, 18:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net