Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Changeling< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 14 2007, 21:16

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ May 14 2007, 20:14)
I wonder if he talks about his experience with the Exegesis? What he exactely did? How he thought of his behavior after the est.

This is what I really wanna know more about it...to understand more Mike as a person and its reflection on his music post-est.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 02:00

Not impressed about keeping a lion in the house. Surely that is illegal and cruel, especially whacking it with a stick which Mike describes with humour. Of course it could have easily killed someone. That owner wanted whacking with the stick. I just hope it went to a better home or some kind of sanctuary.

Mike doesn't seem to have any shame for things like  telling William Murrey "I think you should go now". There are better ways to tell people,especially if they are freinds. H e seems almost proud of the  telling us. Also saying "you have to be nasty" regarding money and paying people. No you don't have to be "nasty", perhaps wise.

Driving around Througham under the influence at high speed and things like that shock me about Mike. I knew he was a plonker at times but never a reckless idiot. Well I suppose at least he is being honest and we all have done (well me anyway) things we are ashamed of.
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 04:05

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ May 14 2007, 18:14)
I wonder if he talks about his experience with the Exegesis? What he exactely did? How he thought of his behavior after the est.

Oh by the way, I realise it's 15th May. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE!!! :)

He does talk at length about Exegesis and what happened and how it helped him. He doesn't have any profound thoughts about his behavior afterwards, his doesn't choose to go into any awkward stuff there.

Ian -  I agree with most of what you say, the wording of certain sections doesn't seem to come across very well. I'm sure we've all been in situations where we've had to tell house guests who have over stayed their welcome that its time to go but the choice of wording Mike uses in the book does seem overly harsh, its a strange choice of language to use, presumably Mike doesn't want us to think he's not a very nice person. But if you ask me there's a few details in the book I've got no desire to know, that don't help the story any but for some reason or another Mike feels its important for us to know. For me thats where the book falls down. There's to much stuff I'm indifferent or just not interested in knowing about (his financial dealings for one) versus the stuff I am interested in hearing about - insights into the music (its why we're all here after all and reading the book in the first place)
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 12:18

He only skimps over the 80s. It's astonishing that he doesn't even mention his dabbling in video and computer graphics around the time of Pictures In The Dark as that was a major thing at the time and he got a lot of publicity over it.

When I saw him in Belgium in Oct 84 at the forrest National, he seemed in pretty good spirits then and not depressed. In fact he had a very good time and so did we.
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 12:29

Quote (ian @ May 15 2007, 12:18)
He only skimps over the 80s. It's astonishing that he doesn't even mention his dabbling in video and computer graphics around the time of Pictures In The Dark as that was a major thing at the time and he got a lot of publicity over it.

When I saw him in Belgium in Oct 84 at the forrest National, he seemed in pretty good spirits then and not depressed. In fact he had a very good time and so did we.

As a professional moaner, it makes sense for him to only write about the horrible stuff! Perhaps everything was just fine and dandy in 1984!

But it's like that with a lot of artists. Roger Waters only wants to talk about his latest concert tour, The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon. I guess he considers the rest of his (and the Floyd's) back catalogue as insignificant because those albums didn't sell five millions within an hour of release. People must really hate Meddle or Saucerful of Secrets!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 15 2007, 22:50

Mike on the telly(TV) on May 16th on BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/4242941.stm

PLEASE RECORD IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 16 2007, 07:19

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 16 2007, 04:50)
Mike on the telly(TV) on May 16th on BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/4242941.stm

PLEASE RECORD IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GODDA*********IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just read this, missed the show!!!!!!!  :(  :(  :(

If I knew it earlier I would have recorded on my HDD recorder.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 

Posted: May 16 2007, 07:42

Check this topic here:
http://tubular.net/forums....t=7434;

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: May 17 2007, 13:53

"Your Amazon.co.uk order has dispatched"

Yiee-HAW!!!!

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 23 2007, 20:02

My copy arrived yesterday,and I'm going to read it during the next weekend...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 24 2007, 06:03

My copy is here too :D Will be reading it as soon as I have time (which sadly might not be for a while).  Oh well, no need to rush it. :)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 24 2007, 06:53

just got it too  :D  finally..
i started to read last night, but i was so tired that i felt in sleep...  :zzz:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 27 2007, 15:21

I've just finished it,it's soo good to read,caught my attention a lot.I enjoyed so much,I've felt myself very close to Mike on some parts,it was worthwhile!

A proper review later on...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 16:00

Yeah, I received it about 2 weeks ago. I loved it, to get to know so many parts of Mike's life I didn't know before. Especially his youth was such a overwhelming feeling to read, and I was amazed with that story when he walked the whole night on his own in London when he was just a 13 year old boy!

I too was a bit sad he didn't tell much about his years in the 80's and 90's, and I would have loved to see more rare pictures.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: July 08 2007, 09:42

I've been reading Changeling whilst basking in the Spanish sun for the last week. I'm about half way through, so I can tell that the later years will only be skimmed over, but it surely is an enthralling read.

I didn't know much about Mike as a person, other than he suffered panic attacks, so it's really interesting but also very sad to read about his childhood.

It's written really well, and that's what makes it addictive.... I can't put it down. The man must have an incredible memory - he maks it all so visual. I can also relate to a lot of the little feelings and things he describes from his childhood.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Nov. 16 2007, 19:00

I've just seen at mikeoldfieldblog.com that next year,Changeling is going to be re-released as a paperback edition:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Changel....3513072

Same cover with a few changes in the lettering style...a pocket book version to read wherever you are :D

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2007, 19:23

That's nice to know, Tati. I like how MO's name takes up a whole third of the cover.  :D

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
56 replies since May 08 2007, 09:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net