Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Changeling - Preview, I'm currently reading it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Chicular Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 29 2007, 10:05

I have read the whole book and i thoroughly enjoyed it.  I'll wait until everyone else has had a chance to read it incase i spoil it for anyone else.
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: April 29 2007, 15:30

I very look forward to this book. I hope, that this book is buying in Ireland too. I have a  friend there. I don´t know exact date printing. Does know anybody it ?

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: April 30 2007, 14:10

Only 4 hours and 50 minutes to go!!!

However, I'm not gonna get much of a chance to read it because of the blasted A2 Level Exams, Student Finance, University Applications and the like.

I'm telling you, June can't come soon enough!

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: April 30 2007, 17:40

I just ordered it off Amazon for £12.24 including postage. Have to wait till the release date though :-(

I have been thinking, will Mike do some book signings in Waterstones accross the country?
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 30 2007, 18:49

Quote (ian @ April 30 2007, 17:40)
I just ordered it off Amazon for £12.24 including postage. Have to wait till the release date though :-(

I have been thinking, will Mike do some book signings in Waterstones accross the country?

Judging by the pains Mike goes to in the book to express his loathing of fame and all that goes along with it a book signing is highly unlikely I think.

Finished the book at the weekend. Its good, its a great and moving story well told. I think those expecting the whys and hows behind his individual albums post Ommadawn are in for a disappointment though. Its the story of his  childhood through his early success to his therapy and 'rebirth' after Incantations and how that set him on the path he's on today. There's not a lot in terms of any great revelations, its mostly stuff thats well documented but its interesting to hear him explaining it all and talking about it.
I was surprised by how well Branson comes out it, Mike doesn't have that much of a bad word to say about him despite the fact he felt moved to spell out 'Fuck Off RB' in morse code during Amarok, a fact he curiously doesn't mention. Maybe he doesn't want to retrospectively rock the boat, as it were.

My only real criticism of it is there's an almost unnecessary talk of money, tax evasion, house prices etc. As a reader I'm not sure why Mike thinks its in my interest to know that he 'lost a fortune' selling his house on Ibiza or that he had real problems selling it. There does seem to be bit of a preoccupation with that sort of thing. Some times its relevant (his fall out with Virgin) but a lot of the time its of no interest whatsoever to the reader and just seems ever so slightly vulgar.

Its a good musical and emotional autobiography though and one that deserves to have been told properly like this before now I think.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 01:55

what are the photos like? any ones of him as a child, his parents?
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 03:41

There's one old photo of him and his brother and sister as kids with their mother. There's the old B+W photos from the making of TB book then there's a few photos from the 80's and recently. They're all from photo shoots you'll be familiar with it, Mike points out he's always hated having his photo taken.
Whats quite interesting though is there is a photo of Mike's Irish relatives  (possibly taken by Mike when he tracked them down a few years back) a little boy and an old lady. The little boy looks remarkably like Mike, there's definitely genetic traits visible. Its always quite interesting when you see anybodies family photos like this, spotting the family look.
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 06:04

I know very little about Mike's personal life, other than the panic attacks, so it will be interesting to read more about the man behind the music.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 06:27

Quote (Chicular @ April 29 2007, 10:05)
I'll wait until everyone else has had a chance to read it incase i spoil it for anyone else.

I, for one, don't mind spoilers. :)

Still another two weeks until my copy arrives. *twiddles thumbs*

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 07:12

Well what i like about the book is that he isn't trying to be sensational at all.  He talks alot about friendships he has had, i especially enjoyed reading about his relationship he had with his Father as a young boy, but the deeper private stuff he has kept to himself which i admire.  Also at the end of the book Mike gives us an insight into what the future might hold with regards to his music.  He doesn't care if his music is not cool, hip or sexy and he wants to make the music he wants to make, ie as mathematical and as complex as he sees fit.
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 09:39

Quote (Korkesova @ April 29 2007, 20:30)
I very look forward to this book. I hope, that this book is buying in Ireland too. I have a  friend there. I don´t know exact date printing. Does know anybody it ?

I think you can get it off play.com now, I'm fom ireland and i think i might buy it from there, though i'll check the nearest waterstones and see if they have any idea on when they will have it.

On another note, today i went into a Virgin megastore, and ouldnt help pick up Richard branson's autobiography "Losing my virginity", i thumbed through it to see what mention we have of mike, and to be honest, there seeed to me about one paragraph and 3 photos!

apart form that it also seems pretty good.

The photos of mike are good though, one of him at the manor i think, and another is a scan of  the reciept from the rental of some of the instruments (an acoustic guitar, an organ which has bransons handwriting next to it "Not paying for, broke down on us" and a fender twin amp "and two J.B.L's" and handwritten by branson beside it "where were these JBLs? - not paying", as well as chimes, and you guessed it, the tubular belles were rented.)

All for the sum of £155 if i remeber correctly. (i only thumbed through it)

anyone read "losing my virginity?"

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 10:07

Quote (jonnyw @ May 01 2007, 11:39)
On another note, today i went into a Virgin megastore, and ouldnt help pick up Richard branson's autobiography "Losing my virginity", i thumbed through it to see what mention we have of mike, and to be honest, there seeed to me about one paragraph and 3 photos!

apart form that it also seems pretty good.

anyone read "losing my virginity?"

I'm currently reading it,but when Mike's autobio arrives...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 12:27

I bet Mike doesn't mention Sally Cooper, Anita and especially Amy Laurer much. Does he mention that Sally Oldfield lived with him in his house ? (Amy comfirmed that with me via email) A bit strange.
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 13:57

Quote (ian @ May 01 2007, 12:27)
I bet Mike doesn't mention Sally Cooper, Anita and especially Amy Laurer much. Does he mention that Sally Oldfield lived with him in his house ? (Amy comfirmed that with me via email) A bit strange.

There's very little talk of any of those people, certainly none of them are named, but the focus of the book is not his life post 1979. There are thoughts and musings written and dated over the past few years but they're general thoughts about how things have worked out for him and his place in life.

There are certainly strange things about the book though particularly to do with Branson and Virgin. He almost seems apologetic for the way he was treated by them. I guess in a way it kind of goes along with his personal philosophy that and the end of the day the individual has to take responsibility for whatever happens to them in life. If you ask me that still doesn't and can't explain that fact that Virgin having made his career in the first instance utterly shafted it later on by putting pressure on him to write stuff he wasn't comfortable with. They certainly never once nurtured him as an artist or put any imagination or real effort into marketing him after Ommadawn was released. Thats the conclusion I came to at the end of the book, but then again I thought that before reading it anyway.

JonnyW - There's actually a fair bit about Mike in Loosing My Virginity, or there was in the copy I read, not a huge amount but a few pages worth. I don't remember there being much conclusion drawn from it though.

To be honest having read Changeling I still think the making of TB book offers much more insight into that particular album and the start of Virgin than Mike goes into in his book.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 14:24

Quote (ian @ May 01 2007, 12:27)
Does he mention that Sally Oldfield lived with him in his house ? (Amy comfirmed that with me via email) A bit strange.

What's so strange about that?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 20:29

I'd like to know if Mike explained on the book why his autobio is called Changeling...

...it's time to promote the book Mike,wake up  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 02 2007, 06:37

Sounds like interesting reading. I hope I can afford a copy soon.  Have a job interview next week, for a receptionist vacancy. The only thing is I've gone off the idea of reception work, well it's OK, it pays my bills. If i get the vacancy it's going to interfere with a Counselling Skills course (as I'll be working alternate Friday mornings)I'm interested in doing  :O. It's just I feel Counselling or Social/Youth Work is really my forte rather than reception/admin   :zzz: work.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: May 02 2007, 08:01

Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 02 2007, 11:37)
Sounds like interesting reading. I hope I can afford a copy soon.  Have a job interview next week, for a receptionist vacancy. The only thing is I've gone off the idea of reception work, well it's OK, it pays my bills. If i get the vacancy it's going to interfere with a Counselling Skills course (as I'll be working alternate Friday mornings)I'm interested in doing  :O. It's just I feel Counselling or Social/Youth Work is really my forte rather than reception/admin   :zzz: work.

Bestof luck for that interview! - It couldnt be worse than my job! - but mine pays for my car insurance, and im sure you know how expensive it is for a 17 year old guy!

Best thing to do would be to get your foot in the door of that reception job at least and at least you can get started back on making money, then continue looking for a job if thats cramping your style for the counselling work youd like to do!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: May 02 2007, 12:20

Quote (TOBY @ April 30 2007, 23:49)
My only real criticism of it is there's an almost unnecessary talk of money, tax evasion, house prices etc. As a reader I'm not sure why Mike thinks its in my interest to know that he 'lost a fortune' selling his house on Ibiza or that he had real problems selling it. There does seem to be bit of a preoccupation with that sort of thing. Some times its relevant (his fall out with Virgin) but a lot of the time its of no interest whatsoever to the reader and just seems ever so slightly vulgar.

First of all don't worry, I'll not be making any jokes! Crumbs, how embarassing, I really know how to dig a big hole for myself! Apologies to any who were offended by my post in the news section a little while ago, Edith is long gone!! It was only a joke. My face is not quite so red with embarassment now!! Moving on,

Absolutely can't wait for my copy of the book to arrive, May 12th according to Amazon. Ridiculous really, but as I am nowhere near a big enough town & due to work commitments etc, I'll be unable to visit one in the near future, I'm having to wait for the postman to deliver my copy.

I'm trying not to be led by any opinions, I want an open mind, but it is irresistable & hard not to read posts when there are people talking about the book!

From what you said, Toby, I'm not at all surprised about some of the content of the book ( money, house prices etc) because Mike is a Taurean and that kind of thing, i.e security, is quite important to many Taureans. I don't want to spark off a debate about astrology, this is only my personal view, but I know quite a few people with this star sign, from many different walks of life & that aspect of their lives seems to be very important. Being an air headed, idealistic, totally impractical Aquarian myself, I find those things beyond my comprehension, I can't get excited about finances but I am really glad there are people in this world who do consider them important. We can't all be the same, and don't forget he is donating some or was it all of the royalties from this book to a charity he is linked with. So that's a pretty nice Mike sort of thing to do.

bee

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 02 2007, 14:06

Quote (bee @ May 02 2007, 12:20)
Quote (TOBY @ April 30 2007, 23:49)

From what you said, Toby, I'm not at all surprised about some of the content of the book ( money, house prices etc) because Mike is a Taurean and that kind of thing, i.e security, is quite important to many Taureans. I don't want to spark off a debate about astrology, this is only my personal view, but I know quite a few people with this star sign, from many different walks of life & that aspect of their lives seems to be very important.

I'm not a big believer in astrology, but when I read TOBY's comments, my reaction was 'What's not interesting, relevant, or necessary about money??' LOL And since I am a Taurean, maybe Bee is right.

I appreciate all the info from those who have read the book. It's really nice to get these tidbits to chew on while waiting for my copy.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
66 replies since April 23 2007, 10:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net