Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Changeling - Preview, I'm currently reading it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 02 2007, 15:01

because Mike is a Taurean and that kind of thing, i.e security, is quite important to many Taureans

Im sorry its Hogwash. The planets have all moved so much since Astrology was mapped out , so even if you do believe in it,  all the dates are well out of alignment.
Profile PM WEB 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: May 02 2007, 18:35

Whether or not it has anything to do with astrology, everything that happens in your life molds you and makes you what you are.  If Mike is taking the time to talk of such things, they must be of great importance to him, or it must have affected his life in a way that it also affects his music.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 02 2007, 20:42

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ May 02 2007, 20:35)
If Mike is taking the time to talk of such things, they must be of great importance to him, or it must have affected his life in a way that it also affects his music.

Rick Wakeman of Yes is also a Taurean but in terms of money he was completely stupid,he had lost a lot of money because of bad management,had to sell part of his catalogue(copyrights) and had problems to create great music in the 80's like he did in the 70's since he hadn't got enough money to buy proper new keyboards like Fairlight CMI(and he thought that using Fairlight CMI would have made a difference on his music,because of its qualities).

Mike was lucky and smart,even with his personal problems and difficulties,to deal with money and to keep a certain amount which is necessary to live well as well as doing his music.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 11:23

I got it!

:cool:

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 14:54

Is there some explanation about his "relationship" with Maggie Reilly - why the break- up?  are they in a bitter fight about money or are they friends?

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 15:59

Quote (onion @ May 03 2007, 14:54)
Is there some explanation about his "relationship" with Maggie Reilly - why the break- up?  are they in a bitter fight about money or are they friends?

Mike

There's very little mention of Maggie Reilly (spelt Riley in the book for some reason) Mike's life between 1980 and 2007 is crammed into 25 pages so there's not much mention of anything in that respect. The focus of the book is his life up until the end of the 70's and the musical and emotional path he was set on after his Exegesis therapy.

Personally i would have liked a bit more from him about his lost adolescence spent in Ibiza in the late 90's, it seemed interesting and relevant, but all Mike says about it was that he had 'some of his best times there and some of his worst' though he doesn't choose to elaborate.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 17:01

Quote (ian @ May 02 2007, 19:01)
because Mike is a Taurean and that kind of thing, i.e security, is quite important to many Taureans

Im sorry its Hogwash. The planets have all moved so much since Astrology was mapped out , so even if you do believe in it,  all the dates are well out of alignment.

So I'm informed by many astrology books Cancerians and Saggatarians will have a turbulent time in a relationship together. Well that's wrong as I'm in a relationship with a Saggatarian and things couldn't be more peaceful and harmonious.

TOBY   Posted on May 03 2007, 19:59
....... The focus of the book is his life up until the end of the 70's and the musical and emotional path he was set on after his Exegesis therapy.

Personally i would have liked a bit more from him about his lost adolescence spent in Ibiza in the late 90's, it seemed interesting and relevant, but all Mike says about it was that he had 'some of his best times there and some of his worst' though he doesn't choose to elaborate.

I think it's what we're taught as children often makes us how we are as adults. If a child is told that he/she is stupid then that's a belief that is often held into adulthood, also if a child is told he/she is clever then they'll grow up with a more positive image of themselves.
I guess it's something I find interesting is what makes people who they are , the way they behave, so I think Mike's childhood/teenage years would be interesting, also his second youth on Ibiza.

Now I just need to get that job  next week, and start on that Counselling course Im interested in doing in Septemberas this is the direction I'd like to go in. I so wanna read this book, but am flat broke atm     :(  :O .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 18:05

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it be a good idea to replace the current news item -- about a free Tubular Bells CD having been given away a week ago -- with an advert for Changeling? If Mike isn't promoting his own autobiography, maybe we should do so ;)

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: May 04 2007, 04:27

Does he mention what on earth possesed him to collabarate with Bonnie Tyler ?  No offence to Bonnie but they are worlds appart.
Profile PM WEB 
onion Offline

Posted: May 04 2007, 09:51

Quote (ian @ May 04 2007, 10:27)
Does he mention what on earth possesed him to collabarate with Bonnie Tyler ?  No offence to Bonnie but they are worlds appart.

Are they?
Tyler..
Lost in France

Oldfield..
To France

:laugh:

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 04 2007, 13:23

Quote (ian @ May 04 2007, 04:27)

All he says on the matter is that when Bonnie Tyler came in to sing she opened her mouth and it was 'spine tingling' and 'exactly the way it was supposed to be'

Its not my favorite Oldfield song so I'm saying nothing.

On the same page Mike talks about Earthmoving and how he attempted and failed to write another Moonlight Shadow. He also talks a bit about Amarok, how much he loves it and loved working on it. Most interestingly though he says he had dinner with Branson after delivering it to Virgin and that Branson told him that the record company thought 'very highly' of it.    They wanted to call it TB2 but Mike quite rightly wouldn't let them. Virgin  then got the humpf and wouldn't promote it.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 04 2007, 14:23

And once again...why Changeling as the name of his autobio?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: May 04 2007, 15:37

Tati, I think Changeling shows the idea that Mike felt like a different child, "the ugly one",... I have just received the book, and I'm starting reading it, and in the first pages, this idea appears clearly...

I have put Platinum Collection as background for reading, it really works  :)
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: May 04 2007, 16:29

Quote (ian @ May 04 2007, 04:27)

I am not a big fan of Bonnie Tyler either, but my other most favorite artist/musical genius, Todd Rundgren, worked with her as well.  Must be something there.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: May 04 2007, 16:36

She's a Swansea lass too which can't be bad as it's a wonderful place with wonderful people. I lived there 20 years ago as a student and Islands just came out as I moved into halls. I remember finding out Bonnie lived there and thought it was amazing as she was on the new album. Wind Chimes was the soundtrack to my first term. Not a bad piece of music but I'm afraid the video has to go.

Any mention of Max Bacon. I knew Max for a while as he lives in my town. Told me all about working with Mike, keeping him up till the early hours until he got the right take. Only paid him for what he used on the album, not the hours working  :/
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 14 2007, 14:40

I see the first readers' reviews are up on the UK Amazon site.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 20 2007, 06:17

As far as I can tell, the U.S. doesn't devote much media attention to Mike Oldfield, so - outside of his musical works - I had very little knowledge about him. All I had gleaned was that he was apparently shy and had had an unhappy youth. So, reading his autobiography was an eye-opener, for it portrays much more than a mopey introvert. Considering my own comparatively sheltered life, I was surprised by how much I related to his story. I often felt kinship in regards to the emotions expressed, if not exactly to the circumstances.

At times - due to fascination, sympathy, or laughter - I found myself going over certain passages again and again. Such as working at learning the guitar:
It wasn't that I just discovered that I was good at it one day - I was practicing very hard, right at the edges of obsession.

The lone journey through a frightening evening in London:
Although it was a terrible, horrible experience, it somehow made me grow up. There was nobody to help me; I had to find my own way home, across the center of London in the middle of the night, at the age of thirteen.

Hauling equipment on the quest to an audition:
I had to carry this huge cabinet down to the bottom of the escalator, get it off and leave it, then get the up-escalator to pick up the other things. I was worried about the cabinet being stolen, but then I thought to myself, 'Who'd want to steal that?' And even if they had, they wouldn't have got very far. I don't know what I would have done if I'd seen someone walking off with it, but luckily no four-by-twelve cabinet thieves were around that day.

His stint with "Hair"
I started playing around with 'Let the Sunshine In' and doing super-complicated bits, but I was playing in the wrong time signatures and it was putting the dancers off. I would mess about with the music and get these dirty looks from other members of the band, especially the brass, they really didn't like me - I've hated brass players ever since. I think eventually, after about six months, they said, 'Either he goes, or we go.'

Recording Ommadawn:
I just put my whole power, committed all my energy to this one guitar solo. I don't know what the hell happened. I started to unleash this guitar solo and, somehow, got it all out. It still raises the skin on my neck to hear that solo. Of course, a sane, happy-go-lucky person wouldn't be able to do that: being so messed up had its advantages. It was hugely cathartic: the feeling of playing like that is just incredible, it's like a mouse suddenly stepping into a lion's body and roaring.

I'm very glad for Changeling. For the way it shows the human being behind the art. No, not all questions are answered. And If I were to ever run into Mike, I might ask him "What ever happened to that 'flourescent-yellow, grafitti-covered guitar case'?". But I won't ask "Why?". ;)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: May 28 2007, 06:05

Changeling Mike has come of age.

Just finished reading 'Changeling' and it was over way too soon. While I was MOST interested in reading about his early life before TB and those first few years of fame, which Mike has pleasurably supplied, the last 27 years were squashed into a mere 30 pages or so, with each album after 'Incantations' receiving barely a mention and his relationships with his partners and children get barely one sentence each and Maggie Reilly gets very little more. Sally is mentioned by first name only, Anita and his first five children are not mentioned by name at all, or even the fact that he and Anita worked together, all he said was that that break up involved lawyers. Fanny and Jake get mentioned once only, and Maggies name was spelt wrong. I was happy to read him say that Amarok was his favourite album and how fond he is of SODE, and reading about the different emotions he was experiencing during the recording of his first four albums was fascinating, I was quite surprised to hear that he did not enjoy making Hergest Ridge as it is a mighty fine album. His Mothers Death and inability to accpet his Fathers second wife is very sad as his Father is a fine man who did everything he could to help Mikes Mother recover from her illness for several years and was a good father to Michael. He talks about money and Branson a little too much when compared with his family life, but the last paragraph summed it all up nicely and gives the fans the comfort of knowing he is not even considering retirement. The photos are a little disappointing too, I always expect to see the best studio portrait of every member of the family, this was shoe box stuff, mostly uninteresting. Only one sentence really disturbed me when he said, "I used to go over to Steve Winwoods house, he was very much into a world of his own, he was into all kinds of things. He had these ferrets, horrible little animals, that he'd get out and show me, wriggling in a sack". I LOVE MY FERRET! (His name is Farken). But I shouldn't complain as the ferrets got more type space than Mikes wives and kids.

Oh and I heartilly agree that the less said about Bonnie Tyler the better. 8^)

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Liquid Friend Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2019, 06:24

Quote (onion @ May 03 2007, 20:54)

I finally got around to reading Changeling (2019! sorry about being so late to the party).

I remember hearing an interview with Maggie Reilly on the radio a long time ago, before Mike's autobiography. She was quite upset at Mike for not talking about her in his interviews -- apparently he had been asked who the singer was on Moonlight Shadow (or something to that effect), and he had brain-farted, babbling about anything but Maggie.

So, in Changeling, Maggie is first mentioned in the Crisis section, regarding Moonlight Shadow:

"One day, I just decided I would book a singer for the next day. Maggie Reilly used to be a girlfriend of a keyboard roadie in my band. I knew she had a good voice, as she had done some backing vocals on some of the tours."

If memory serves me right, Maggie is all over QE2 and Five Miles Out -- very different from 'doing some backing vocals on some of the tours'. In Changeling he goes on to imply that Maggie had a very hard time learning the song, that Mike had to teach her the song syllable by syllable. That's all she gets in the whole book. Also, he is slut-shaming her as a groupie of the lowest order.

Sorry to say it, but with Mike presenting himself as a psychologically advanced person (what with the Exegesis and psychoanalysis), he shure has some shadow work to do when it comes to Maggie Reilly.

--------------
Watch out for snakes!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2019, 06:30

Quote (Liquid Friend @ Dec. 16 2019, 06:24)
he shure has some shadow work to do when it comes to Maggie Reilly.

Shadow boxing? Well, we all know Mike Oldfield Boxed.  :D
Profile PM 
66 replies since April 23 2007, 10:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net