Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Changeling - Preview, I'm currently reading it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
simmo2005 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 23 2007, 10:22

I was fortunate enough to be handed an advanced copy of Mike's autobiography by a friend who works for Virgin Books. I am already a third of the way through and i must tell you it's beautifully written. There are things here i never knew about Mike's early life- his time with Kevin Ayre's and his first commute into London by himself with his guitar and not a penny to his name.

I won't spoil it for you, but be prepared for a powerfully engrossing read!
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: April 23 2007, 10:27

mike and i share a close birthday, and im looking forward to getting it for my birthday from my girlfreind!

can you order it now?

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: April 23 2007, 10:54

You can definitely pre-order it from AMAZON and WATERSTONES. I was simply lucky enough to know someone who works for the publishers, hence it is in my possession :)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 23 2007, 13:00

I can't wait to read it,since I do like Mike's personal interviews where he talks about himself as a person...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: April 23 2007, 13:44

Play.com has got the book to buy and deliver now!

Any further info regarding the pictures section of the book?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
David® Offline

Posted: April 23 2007, 15:21

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ April 23 2007, 13:44)
Play.com has got the book to buy and deliver now!

Yessss!!!!!!!  :)
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 23 2007, 16:47

Typical still broke and no sign of work as yet :( .  My friendships and also my love life have recently taken a turn for the better  :)  :D WHOOOHOOO!!!! Just hope my work/financial situation inproves soon.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: April 24 2007, 04:20

I ordered Changeling last night from Play.Com, it is currently being dispatched, should receive it by about thursday! Yippee.  I'm intrigued about Mike Oldfields life and can't wait to read this.  Also the news about his new album coming out in October is music to my ears!
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: April 24 2007, 05:48

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ April 23 2007, 19:00)
I can't wait to read it,since I do like Mike's personal interviews where he talks about himself as a person...

As a person?  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

What else is there of options?, tree lumps, a fish, the sfinx?

:p

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: April 24 2007, 11:19

Amazon is confusing me... it says it isn't released until 10th May, yet it also says "In Stock".

It will be en enlightening read I'm sure.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 24 2007, 17:48

Quote (onion @ April 24 2007, 11:48)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ April 23 2007, 19:00)

As a person?  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

What else is there of options?, tree lumps, a fish, the sfinx?

:p

Mike

Well ... I guess Tati meant that she likes Mike when he talks about himself as just a human being... not as a musician... :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 

Posted: April 24 2007, 19:19

Quote (Ugo @ April 24 2007, 19:48)

Well ... I guess Tati meant that she likes Mike when he talks about himself as just a human being... not as a musician... :D

...like he did on Heaven and Earth Show interview in 2002 and Faith and Music interview in 1993 (http://tubular.net/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=7366)

I do admire the musician too ;)

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Rileman Offline

Posted: April 27 2007, 08:04

I am currently reading this book - Changeling, at page 114. It came into my mailbox yesterday. My review so far is...
Very well, carefully, and emotionally written, it makes me laugh sometimes, but most it makes me burst into tears. I recognize myself very well, especially in the early chapters, when Mike tells about his childhood, thoughts and feelings as a child and teenager, his loneliness and feelings of alienation..and starting to get into music, and feel it.

Thanks Mike!

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: April 27 2007, 09:54

I'm at work just now but hopefully when i get home Changeling will be delivered and ready to read.  I'm really looking forward to it.   :)
Profile PM 
twingoman Offline

Posted: April 27 2007, 11:47

I got my copy in the post this morning, and I'm about to start reading it this evening.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: April 27 2007, 13:03

Mine came through the post yesterday, looks like a nice weighty book to get stuck into and I really like the photos.Typically though I am flat out with work and it has been stuck on my book shelf for quite some time so I must start it this weekend. It look great though it must be said!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 27 2007, 14:01

Got my copy this morning too. Have skimmed read it, looks interesting, its pretty much about his early life though. His life between the 80's and now takes up about 5% of the book which I'm quite surprised about. I was quite looking forward to reading about his own accounts of his antics on Ibiza but they take up about half a page. There's also other things he's discussed in past interviews that he doesn't seem to want to mention now, I'll need to read it thoroughly though.

The last paragraph in the book sounds the most promising though, I do hope he can find the motivation to continue making music.

ps just opened it at a page where he talks about David Puttnam being pissed off with him and holding a grudge about the Killing Fields and that that may have lead to the fact that he never worked on any other films.  Seems a bit odd since David Puttnam chose Moonlight Shadow for one of his Desert Island discs saying Mike did a fantastic score for the Killing Fields and was such a hugely talented man. Also Jeremy Parker  said that after the Killing Fields came out Mike got loads of film offers but didn't want to do them. Very odd.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 27 2007, 17:25

Typical I so much would like to read this book , but I'll guess I'll have to wait as my work situation is dire :( . Have applied for many vacancies but no luck so far. Have also applied for voluntary work and a p/t paid position  with a mental health charity. I'm trying to get into Counselling, or youth/social work, alternatively something creative.  Guess if I could find some p/t office work to pay bills , whilst I retrain I'd be happy.

I know reading that article in the Mail on Sunday magazine about Mike's childhood/teenage years last year brought  tears to my eyes. I guess having done some soul searching of my own in recent years I'm interested in what makes people tick, and I'd like to help others  

:D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 

Posted: April 27 2007, 21:03

Quote (moonchildhippy @ April 27 2007, 19:25)
I know reading that article in the Mail on Sunday magazine about Mike's childhood/teenage years last year brought  tears to my eyes. I guess having done some soul searching of my own in recent years I'm interested in what makes people tick, and I'd like to help others  .

That interview,as well as others where Mike talks about his personal past have helped me a lot.

I'd say in a special way Mike has brought me to life again since my early days as a fan,he has showed me a lot of things I hadn't seen in my own life before,as well as encouraging myself to face life better than ever.Like Mike,I do believe in the power of the psychotherapy,it really makes the difference,when I was younger I did a lot too.

I'm soo anxious to read the book,and I'm sure that after I've read it,I'll recommend to other people to read...not necessarly a MO fan!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
onion Offline

Posted: April 28 2007, 04:19

I will wait until the book comes as an  audio book with some cool background music by MO  :laugh:

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
66 replies since April 23 2007, 10:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net