[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Celt< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Taurus 4 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 10:01

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 04 2008, 16:29)
Taurus 4, I'm unfamiliar with "Barretty" - can you explain what it means?

It reminds me of the piano on some of Pink Floyd's early songs. :)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 18:03

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 06 2008, 09:38)
To soften the negativity a bit, I'll say that I don't think it's a rigorously bad song at all (in the sense that, for example, The Inner Child to me is in all respects a rigorously bad song), and it comes across as a bit of semi-pleasant filler...

You're a sweetie to say so, Sir M. :)

And thanks, Taurus 4, for the explanation. I'm not all that familiar with Pink Floyd.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 19:50

Quote (Sweetpea @ Jan. 04 2009, 18:03)
I'm not all that familiar with Pink Floyd.

Parts of Shade have a definite feel of Gilmour-led Pink Floyd. That oceanic (forgive the pun) guitar sound in "Surfing" is a particularly good example.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2018, 02:52

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 01 2008, 16:52)
"Celt" lyrics? Ah, the As Far Wrengo Delta thing. :D If you don't know what I'm talking about, take a look here.

It's amusing to try to come up with meanings for these words. "Asfar", for example, means "yellow" in Arabic, although I'm not sure why yellow should be important here! :laugh: As far as wren goes (  ;)  ) the wren has great Celtic (well, Irish anyway) significance. You can read about it here: http://www.sligoheritage.com/archwrenboys.htm

I also hear "centaur" rather than "cento" in the lyrics. "Centaur" fits better, because Sagittarius was a centaur, and arrow references are not uncommon in Mike's work (eg Space Arrow World in Tres Lunas, the song "Poison Arrows"). Sagittarius gets a mention in "Saved by a Bell", and even "On Horseback" can be seen to have a man/horse centaurish quality!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2021, 20:06

One incantation deserves another, turnabout is fair play, and other such phrases:

soldier film piked stepdaughter iota foh tiff stainers deckhands king

:p
Profile PM 
24 replies since Sep. 01 2008, 14:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net