Mike and Mike with a high-pitched voice effect 18  [33.33%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Caveman 2003, The duet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 31 2003, 13:50

A lot of people say it's Mike and a woman. It can't be. It's a voice effect. It's too perfect a 'harmony' and it's way too precise to be another person. And I don't think a woman can do that with her voice lol. Though, the amount of people saying it's a woman just means that the voice effect worked very well.

What say you?

EDIT: ooops..I picked Mike and a woman by mistake.......

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 31 2003, 14:48

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ May 31 2003, 13:50)
And I don't think a woman can do that with her voice lol.

Haha, you really think so?  :D
Profile PM 
Bubular Tells Offline

Posted: May 31 2003, 15:01

I think it's an effect, it's just too weird. The first time I heard it, it made me laugh because it reminded me of some cartoonfigures ('de smurfen', I don't think they are known outside Belgium). It actually surprises me that many people think it's a woman.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 31 2003, 15:02

Ok fine whatever lol. But I still say it's not a woman. It's just too perfect. And the 'harmony', as I said, is perfect....as if they took Mike's voice and sampled it at a higher pitch and played it back at the same exact time.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 31 2003, 15:03

Are you talking about The Smurfs? Funny small blue creatures with blue pants and hats?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bubular Tells Offline

Posted: May 31 2003, 15:07

Are you talking about The Smurfs? Funny small blue creatures with blue pants and hats?

Yeah, those I mean except they have white pants and hats (except Great Smurf who is in red).
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 31 2003, 15:19

But of course The Smurfs are known outside Belgium! They are called Die Schlümpfe in German and, I think, Les Schtroumpfs in French.  :)
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 31 2003, 16:00

chick with a dick???  :D  :D  :D  :D could be  :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 31 2003, 18:57

Quote (Holger @ May 31 2003, 21:19)
But of course The Smurfs are known outside Belgium! They are called Die Schlümpfe in German and, I think, Les Schtroumpfs in French.  :)

...and Puffi in Italian. :) Their voices are IMHO just normal actors' voices with a speed-up effect similar to the one used by Mike. :)

On topic: I don't think it's Mike + Mike, but Mike + another guy (not a woman). My first thought was Tom Newman, but I don't think they are very much in contact with each other right now. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 01 2003, 06:34

Mike confirmed it was he and Sally who sang on the TB2003 caveman bit. So there goes your topic, sorry. ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 

Posted: June 01 2003, 08:28

Was that the latest interview? I must hear it.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 02 2003, 07:24

It was on the press conference on Madrid.And check out Mundo Mike Oldfield's website.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 04 2003, 09:57

Here are the 'lyrics' to the duet:

Mike: Flogo graph dough gwenooguah!
Sally: Fumo grock down wenoooooh!
M&S: Shoogo graph dough gwenooguah!
M: Flogo graph dogh wenoooooh!

M: Hmmm?

M: Shangeba!
S: Shoindba!
S: Shock!
M&S: Rock!
M&S: Stop!
(Background: Uhm, ah, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg.)

S: Roooh!
M: Foooh!
(Bckgr: Uhm, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG.)

M&S: [Howl]
M (+S): Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhh! – Twice
M&S: [Howl] – Twice

[Repeat first verse, with M&S on last line.]

M: Shangeba!
S: Shoindba!
(Background: Uhm, ah, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg, BOOT-leg.)

M&S: Foooh!
S: Shommmmmmah!
(Bckgr: Uhm, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG, boot-LEG.)

M&S: [Howl]
M (+S): Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhh!
[M&S continue screaming (alternately) to end.]

:D :D :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 04 2003, 10:07

BTW, cavemen and cavewomen [or Neanderthal-men and Neanderthal-women :)] didn't really talk; being direct descendants of primates (apes, monkeys), they said nothing more than 'ugh', with the occasional exceptions of 'agh' and 'egh' every now and then. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
James
Unregistered

Posted: June 04 2003, 18:46

When I hear the new Cave man bash I instantly mentally see Mike on the left a mic in the middle and Sally on the right having a lot of fun,Something to do with them being very close and the traumas ie domestic problems they have both had in their younger life well they are off loading ,getting rid of some of that sadness and frustration a kind of therapy dare I say it Exorcism.  :O  :D
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 05 2003, 14:45

How many press conferences did he give? He doesn't mention it at all in the press conference I listened to...

It would certainly be perfectly possible for Mike to change his voice in that way - modern voice processors are far more sophisticated than simple pitch shifters; they can alter the formants in a voice and perform similar trickery, which can transform men into not totally unconvincing women and vice versa (and it's quite common for people to sound like other members of their family), and indeed, various things in between.

It is however also possible to very exactly align one vocal to another - tools for doing that were mostly developed for film post production work, so that new audio can be easily lip-synced to picture (by making the dubbed part conform in rhythm to the audio which was recorded along with the picture), but they of course have their uses in music as well.

P.S. - I'm still not convinced about the 'bootleg' thing, I'm sure it's hoo-hey, I believe that someone (Tom Newman, I think) even confirmed that.
Profile PM 
New Tin Boxes Offline

Posted: June 30 2003, 06:04

The caveman bit is Mike with Sally.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2003, 10:28

No, it's me actually - I'm an expert at all manner of voices. Sorry to have been leading you off the scent for so long.
Profile PM 
dbruce Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2003, 19:34

When this whole thing first came around when the album was released, I was convinced it was Mike+Mike, and amazed at how many people thought otherwise.
So I ripped it to WAV (so easy, even with the "Copy Protection") and either lowered or raised the pitch of the whole section (can't quite remember which), and one voice turned into an exact replica of the other. (If I lowered the pitch then the "Cavewoman" sounded like the normal Caveman, and if i raised it then Caveman became "Cavewoman").

If I've got time tomorrow I'll try it again and post the samples to see if it helps convince people.

And re. Mike 'confirming' it in an interview? Mike's always been like a boy with new toys. He's played with the pitch-shifter, and been so happy with the result that he's thought "They all think it's Sally, so let's just tell them it is."
I've never really respected Mike's spoken word, with all the "no new Bells albums" or "we'll tour soon" or "I hate dance music" crap that he inevitably contradicts himself on. Anyway, I digress.

I'll post the samples when I get the chance.

David
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2003, 01:37

He certainly made no such statement in the press conference I listened to. Unless there was another one where he made mention of this, I think people have been getting their wires crossed.
Profile PM 
31 replies since May 31 2003, 13:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net