Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Can't get it back off my daughter, Teen addiction lol< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
trcanberra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 23:47

Rather surprisingly, my 13 year old daughter has taken an immense liking to Incantations.  She has put up with me listening to the rest of my Mike CDs with some patience, but REALLY likes this one.

I want it back   :D
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2008, 03:00

well she must have jolly good taste then, still my favourite.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2008, 09:08

My kids have taken my Mike cd's off me too - but usually to hide them so I can't play them  :/

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Pepso Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2008, 12:16

May daughter (11) has taken my Voyager CD...
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 30 2008, 13:47

So tr... weeks later, has she given it back? Seems to me that she should be gifted with her own copy! How extraordinary! My 13-year old is first chair clarinet in her band, but outside of that it's all rap and pop. She makes unusual faces at the mere mention of anything MO.  :/

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2008, 14:56

Well I don't have any daughters but my exfemalecompanions all like MO. One of them especially likes Talk About Your Life, another one
is very keen on Millennium Belll, whereas the third one embraces the whole discography. It's nice that I've given people something to remember me by and that we all do necessary promotion by default.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 06:13

Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 30 2008, 13:47)
So tr... weeks later, has she given it back? Seems to me that she should be gifted with her own copy! How extraordinary! My 13-year old is first chair clarinet in her band, but outside of that it's all rap and pop. She makes unusual faces at the mere mention of anything MO.  :/

Funny you should ask .... it's actually getting worse  :O

My 9 year old son was watching "School of Rock" the other day - when it was over he asked if we could watch some Mike Oldfield videos.

My wife is going around humming TB.

My 16 year-old has taken a liking to TBIII and TSODE.

... and the 13 year-old is now READING TSODE, and at any one time has filched 3 or 4 CDs (including TSODE, TB, TBIII, MOTS, MB etc).

What have I done to them????
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 06:31

ANY children who grabs one´s MO cds - for whatever reason - should be punished!
Try beating them with a shoehorn or a tire-iron from the car.
That should do the trick.. ;)
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 06:39

Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 16 2008, 13:08)
My kids have taken my Mike cd's off me too - but usually to hide them so I can't play them  :/

That's one advantage of not having kids, I don't have anyone to nick or hide my CD's to stop me playing them :cool: , saying that my ex husband would moan about my Mike "obsession" and that of Queen, would make listening to their music unbearable , so often the only place I could play it in peace was in the car.
At least with my boyfriend there's a noble art of compromise, I love him , and he loves me even if he does wind me up about Roger Taylor sometimes  :)  :D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 14:53

Cripes...I'd rather have my kids listening to MO than rap or heavy metal. I wonder.....what makes MO's music so magical to a child, as I was when I discovered him? Is it it that melodic music has been abandoned in favor of rythmic music? Yesindeedy. What happened was....MIDI, "musical instrument digital interface" was introduced in 1983. This was both a GOOD thing and a BAD thing for kiddos. It, in a nutshell, made it easier for artists to record music,......but........it paved the way for "rhythmic" takeover of music in favor of "melodic". So, as the years went by, music just went bump-bump-bump, in perfect synchronous computer time. I "used" this technology to make machines sound as much like a real band as possible, and had much fun doing it. But MIDI made it easy to make rhythm perfect. The guitars used in heavy metal came a couple of years later. The constant "chop-chop" of those heavy guitars is simply like drums in a way. And you might want to know a lot of those were "sampled", another spawn of MIDI. What children love about Mike Oldfield is that it takes them to a time, not very far back from MIDI, but when "melody" interested the public more than rhythm. Mike was incredibly good at this. He still is. But I think kids under 10 years old have a natural desire for melody over rhythm. But it also depends on ethnicity and peers. A 5yo black kid in Austin Texas likes rap cuz thats all he/she hears. A 5yo hispanic kid in Austin Texas likes Tex-mex/Tejano cuz thats all they hear. Me? I like Mike Oldfield. I'm more melodically inclined. Perhaps I'm a dinosour but, whatever......I'm still a child at 46 and "On Horseback" moves me. If you don't like it...well...... I better keep my car windows up while playing Ommadawn in Austin.
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 04:18

Horray for dinosaurs! <rowr>!  :D

I'd much prefer to be a dinosaur as you describe than force myself to be "hip" just to keep up with the kewlness... bleh.

<goes off to play some Platinum...>

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 09:26

I got into TB by listening to my Dad's copy in the late 70's.
 Now i'm a daddy i have tried to bring my children up with a healthy music taste (ie chart music=crap.Anything you find in Daddy's music collection=good.Stay away from Radio 1)but their mum listens to some very naff stuff balanced with the Beatles.
Now i don't live with my daughters so when they come over to my flat they have no choice but to hear Mike Oldfield/Steve  Hillage/Kevin Ayres/Cream/Blind Faith/a little Hendrix/Muddy Waters/Led Zep(i have very varied tastes) etc.
When i put on MOTS this saturday just gone my littlest one (Megan)said "Who's this Dad?It sounds like Tubular Bells".A good girl and very smart.My oldest used to dance to Waldberg (the Peak)and sing it when she was a toddler and she loves Ommamdawn.And all 3 love to watch the Elements DVD and can name all the guitarists form the performance of TB part 1.Good kids all.Nurture your childrens tastes and they will have an enquiring mind about music rather than following blindly what they percieve to be 'good'because it's at the top of some chart.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Taynie Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 10:26

Hi Caveman, I have 3 daughters and I'm so glad I brought them up with MO music. I'm dead chuffed that they love it and often request it on in the car.  I was brought up with parents who seemed to hate the music, so was up to me to trail blaze. In retrospect I think my parents were scared of the music, too beautiful and tender, scary for some people that.

My eldest wants to study music techology, inspired by MO autobiography,and sees herself working as a mixer. Amarok
was always the family favourite, plus the Maggie Thatcher,toothbrushing,'so fa so', 'happeeeee hahaaa' bits.        :)

--------------
once these things get going it's jolly hard to stop them again
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 01 2008, 11:58

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 31 2008, 14:53)
Is it it that melodic music has been abandoned in favor of rythmic music? Yesindeedy. What happened was....MIDI, "musical instrument digital interface" was introduced in 1983. This was both a GOOD thing and a BAD thing for kiddos. It, in a nutshell, made it easier for artists to record music,......but........it paved the way for "rhythmic" takeover of music in favor of "melodic". So, as the years went by, music just went bump-bump-bump, in perfect synchronous computer time.

That is true. There has been something of a shift towards rhythms, largely favoured by the technology of the time. Melody is taken to extremes of becoming a "slave" of rhythm.

This gave us Aphex Twin, Autechre and Squarepusher.

And I say oh, goodness, YES. :)

There has got to be something almost otherworldly in the sheer, rhythmic fury of Autechre's 777, LCC and Ipatial Section, as well as the 'Pusher's Chin Hippy and Go! Spastic. If there's something I'd call a great use of current technology, it's that stuff.

Of course, the fact that the mechanisation of rhythm opened the floodgates to a lot of questionable material is only an inevitable consequence, analogous to what happened with heavy metal in the late 60's and synthpop in the early 80's. You can't help it. ;)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 16 2014, 04:42

Quote (trcanberra @ Feb. 16 2008, 04:47)
Rather surprisingly, my 13 year old daughter has taken an immense liking to Incantations.  She has put up with me listening to the rest of my Mike CDs with some patience, but REALLY likes this one.

I want it back   :D

I guess your daugher is 19 now, so how does she like MO now?
Profile PM 
14 replies since Feb. 15 2008, 23:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net