Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Can't find Amarok and some others in online store< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Drealm Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 29 2015, 14:56

I have every album in CD but just for fun I tried to find them in digital stores online : iTunes, Amazon.com, Bandcamp. I even searched for "buy mike oldfield amarok" in google.

Amarok is nowhere to be found. You can buy it in CD some places but for online digital music stores, nothing.

Same thing for Islands.

Heaven's open was on amazon.com, but not on iTunes.

This is from Canada, maybe iTunes offer them in other countries.

But that's still weird, almost every album is there, except for these few.

Why?

You almost need to pirate it if you don't want a CD.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 30 2015, 14:02

When Mike signed his new contract with Mercury in 2005, part of the deal was that his back catalogue would be licensed to Mercury from 2008, when the rights reverted to Mike.

In the case of CDs, that's meant that anything which hasn't been reissued by Mercury/Universal has been out of production since then, and it's only remaining stocks on sale.

In the case of the download versions, though, it's been a bit more strange, and some have appeared and disappeared, but I think it's essentially the same reason - that they non-reissued ones have made it to online stores/Spotify at all, it's as a bit of an afterthought because they're not really being treated as current catalogue.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2015, 21:50

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 30 2015, 14:02)
When Mike signed his new contract with Mercury in 2005, part of the deal was that his back catalogue would be licensed to Mercury from 2008, when the rights reverted to Mike.

In the case of CDs, that's meant that anything which hasn't been reissued by Mercury/Universal has been out of production since then, and it's only remaining stocks on sale.

In the case of the download versions, though, it's been a bit more strange, and some have appeared and disappeared, but I think it's essentially the same reason - that they non-reissued ones have made it to online stores/Spotify at all, it's as a bit of an afterthought because they're not really being treated as current catalogue.

Thanks, that clarify the whole thing.
Profile PM 
RobTheBlackknight Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2015, 03:18

Hi
I was about to ask a very similar question. I bought QE2 from iTunes years ago but it is in the protected format that prevents me from playing it on my HiFi. I wanted to dowload it again from iTunes match, but it is no longer listed!
This is in iTunes Australia. I see that UK iTunes has the original, the delux version and the remastered version.
Apple can't tell me why - anyone got any ideas?
i would really like to buy the remastered version, if it was made available here!
Profile PM 
3 replies since Jan. 29 2015, 14:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net