Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Can you play good?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Rileman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 10:04

Can you play a guitar solo / guitar-part from a MO track very good? (when you play it's sounds very close
to Mike's guitarplaying)

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 10:06

Just wondering, is this idle curiosity, or are you seeking a musician for a fan track?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 10:06

errrm getting close to someone style is not "good playing" as I see it :P

but I think there's a few guys who can handle most of Mike's solos...Brandon, Khoa and Richard for example...

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Rileman Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 11:45

Quote (BOOsTER @ Jan. 17 2005, 10:06)
errrm getting close to someone style is not "good playing" as I see it :P

but I think there's a few guys who can handle most of Mike's solos...Brandon, Khoa and Richard for example...

Excuse me.  :/
What I wanted to say earlier is that what you say, BOOsTER:
What guitar solos can you MO fans play?

--------------
Profile PM 
Luca Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 12:35

In Dulci Jublio, Wonderfull Land, Jungle Gardina, some of platinum parts 1 and 2, Afgan, Some of Crises, Moonlight shadow (badly), Get to France, Bits of TB 1,2 and 3, Crime of Passion. Mikes Reel on the mandolin. 4 Winds. Probably some more ive missed.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 17:18

My main instrument is not the guitar, but there are some songs that I can play quite good, namely: Muse, Celtic Rain, Turtle Island, The Great Plain and the second part of TV-AM from Amarok (from about 39:17 to 39:50).

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2005, 00:29

Quote (Rileman @ Jan. 17 2005, 17:45)
Excuse me.  :/
What I wanted to say earlier is that what you say, BOOsTER:
What guitar solos can you MO fans play?

you don't have to be sad I am always a half-sarcastic troll :D

me: Muse, and Let There Be Light Solo

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 18 2005, 11:30

I suppose the question is more whether I want to play them...

My interest tends to be in the techniques used in solos (and indeed, any piece of playing), so I often only learn things which use techniques I'm particularly interested in working on, and then only as far as to be able to figure out the technique, at which point I start going off in other directions!

I'm obviously quite familiar with Mike's music though, so there are quite a few things I can play without having worked out anything in advance. It's not the way to get things sounding really good, of course, but it's as much as I need to be allow me to play along with the records occasionally and have a lot of fun.
I can sound like him if I want, it's just a case of handling the guitar in the right way. I tend not to, as it doesn't feel quite right to be playing using his style and not mine (that applies even when I perform his music - I've done songs like Moonlight Shadow with groups in the past, and I've always preferred to give it my own sound rather than imitate Mike completely)...I think the more I play, the more I move away from his style of playing, though I think there's always going to be a little bit of Mike detectable in my playing (and sometimes it's deliberate - it can be fun, after all...I find imitating other artists quite fun in general, it always gives me a bit of a laugh to place the sounds of well known players in places they don't belong).

My favourite to play is QE2...
Profile PM 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 06:00

Korgscrew- can you play the down scales on QE2?
Is there a tab for that? I gave it up years ago, about time to give it a try again.
Profile PM 
Rileman Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 08:48

There are many parts of Mike's songs I can play, but I can play these tracks from the beginning till the end:

* Conflict
* Let there be light
* Crystal clear
* The song of the sun
* Celtic rain
* Wild goose flaps its wings

I can also play (among others):

* Ommadawn Part 1: Fast Triplet Riff
* Amarok: Mad Bit  ;)  :D

I can play many songs on piano too...

--------------
Profile PM 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 10:15

Can play alot from TB1, only Ambien Guitar is a real problem. :)
Profile PM 
Phil Moakes Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 18:46

Underneath this thread there is a very interesting theme. The balance between a performance faithful to the emotion of the original, a performance that re-engineers & re-interprets the mood of the original (which may require some note perfect/tone perfect passages but enables freedoms to explore elsewhere) and an attempt at a copy. How far can you go to make a performance original but in the spirit and does the audience feel cheated if you stray too far away from the established work. How far is too far ? Equally, does an audience expect you to do something a bit different ?

I think that you have to deliver some common ground before an audience will conspire with you in putting your own style on a well known passage. Of course you can argue that this is dependant upon how subtle the listener is.

We readily expect an orchestra to play a well known Mozart synphony  & pretty much deliver the notes, but we hope that they manage to add a distinctive quality. However we also expect a Queen tribute band to pull off Bohemian Rhapsody almost exactly as recorded. Perhaps part of this is to do with personality. Do we expect 100% accuracy if the performance is centred around stage personalities rather than music ? If I go to see a Queen tribute, then I'm being sold Freddie & a back catalogue of records. If I go to Mozart, then I'm being sold quality music - and I haven't got his first album handy to refer back to anyway.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 20 2005, 09:38

Quote (Yuval @ Jan. 19 2005, 11:00)
Korgscrew- can you play the down scales on QE2?
Is there a tab for that? I gave it up years ago, about time to give it a try again.

Yes, I can...when I have a good tailwind, at least ;)

I've never looked for a tab of it, there might not be one. I could probably roughly sketch out an outline for the twiddly section fairly quickly, if you like.

I think that, with regards to being faithful to the original, it depends on what setting you're playing it in. In the case of a tribute band/performance, people are going to be expecting it to sound something close to, if not exactly like, the original. In other settings though, people may just be expecting to hear good music, or hear something of the artist performing, and that's when there's more flexibility for re-interpretation (indeed, in some settings the audience may expect re-interpretation). I sometimes perform pieces by Mike on acoustic guitar - not things he composed for acoustic guitar originally, but re-arrangements of things like Sentinel. The audiences I'd tend to play them to may have heard of Mike, but certainly won't have come expecting to hear his music, so all that concerns me is making it sound good, rather than making it sound like Mike...it's more a matter of interpreting the music in a way which suits the instrument and my capabilities on it. Sometimes I do things like take one tune and put it over another chord sequence - sacrilege as far as purists would be concerned, but it makes it more fun for me, and if it's fun for me, that's likely to come across in the playing (and that is, I would say, one of the most important things). I think in my case, it would be fair to say that the audience often expects me to do something a bit different...but I still find ways of surprising them...
Profile PM 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 20 2005, 10:38

Yes - I'd love to have a tab for it
with alittle technique suggestions pls cuz i've no idea how to approach the fast sales which goes down. im doing fine with the rest so u should skip them in case u r actually going to tab it :)
Profile PM 
Ecco Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2005, 14:51

Sailors hornpipe. Are we the only ones here that cannot seem to totally nail that one down? Seriously wondering if that is his greatest accomplishment on guitar/mandolin, especially at the speed in which he performs it. I have seen him perform it much faster on mandolin than on the TB album.

Tony

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
Ecco Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2005, 14:57

I can think of at least one female, Booster.....

Tony

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2005, 15:01

1) "woman of ireland", was my guitar exam.
2) "voyager"
3) all "guitars" album
4) "tsode"
5) some parts of "amarok"
6) "to france"
79 some parts of "tr3s lunas"

that's what i can play with guitar.
with piano i can virtually play anything.

--------------
www.edoardofainello.com :::: www.fayeth.com :::: www.myspace.com/kahman
Profile PM WEB 
greg
Unregistered

Posted: April 23 2005, 17:15

Sailors hornpipe, Blue Peter, In Dulci Jubilo, Portsmouth.
But not on guitar, on accordion :))
Rileman Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 09:01

I've recently learnt to play Blue Peter on ukulele, both the chords and melody. :D  ;) I recorded it together and it sounded quite funny.

--------------
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2006, 10:34

I find it's cool just to try and play along with some stuff. I can play a riff from FMO, a bit from Voyager, and some little bits. I like that. For example the bass riff of the first section of Bells!
I also think TB2 is very suitable to try and play along with, and also Voyager and Guitars. I once tried Jungle Gardenia. That bit is hard. but I got it quite nice!
Is there anyone who tried the bass from Platinum????
It's too difficult for me ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
24 replies since Jan. 17 2005, 10:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net