Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Can we please stop calling them "rock albums?"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AwayWeGo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 05 2015, 13:31

Can we please stop calling Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, and Ommadawn "rock albums?"

I don't mean this in an antagonistic way. I just simply don't get it. Yes, they have electric guitar. Yes, they were composed during a period when prog rock was becoming very popular. But can anyone really listen to Ommadawn, with all the woodwinds and soaring choral passages, Tubular Bells, with the soul-melting mandolin sounds, or Hergest Ridge, with that angelic choir passage, and call it "rock," any kind of rock?

The noble 3 records all have rock bits in them (Piltdown Man and Thunderstorm come to mind), but they are not "rock records." They are most definitely closer to classical. Music genres aren't just about the instrumentation, but the composition, the structure, the attitude if you will. In this respect, they are most definitely not rock releases. For example, Tubular Bells is centered around a piano riff, constantly shifting atmospheres, and creativity with ensemble instruments. Hergest Ridge is pastoral and solitary, utilizing choral and solo elements. Ommadawn is closer to something you would play in a mountain log cabin during winter while sipping cider.

I heard Richard Branson say something like, "Mike Oldfield's is one of the most interesting tales in all of rock music," and that really jumped out at me aa sounding very incorrect. I believe that interview was recorded before "Crises" and "Five Miles Out" were even being recorded.

Basically, I think to call the first three classic albums (and especially the fourth) "rock albums" is to both discredit what they really are and to set new listeners up with false expectations instead of just letting them listen to and experience the magical music. It's not rock. It's not pure classical. It's not "new age" and it's not merely "instrumental" either. It's Mike Oldfield, and that's why we love it. We should let it speak for itself and stop trying to label it with false terms.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 06 2015, 15:05

I think in the 70s people were a lot more open-minded about what rock was and could be. It's probably an inappropriate label now because someone putting on Ommadawn might be expecting anything from early Beatles-style to Black Sabbath-style.
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2015, 19:48

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Aug. 06 2015, 15:05)
I think in the 70s people were a lot more open-minded about what rock was and could be. It's probably an inappropriate label now because someone putting on Ommadawn might be expecting anything from early Beatles-style to Black Sabbath-style.

I could see that. I suppose that makes sense.
I mean I guess I still don't see how the acoustic and woodwind sections could be anything but classical, but for the other parts, like the electric solos, that makes sense to me. Thanks for replying (:
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2015, 07:16

I think many people have found Mike's music difficult to put into a genre, and I think he has formed his own genre, which is termed Oldfield Progressive. Which works for me.
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2015, 07:31

Does Oldfield get categorised? He does seem to be one of these artists who it's impossible to pin down. Vangelis is similar in this respect. The Wikipedia entry describes him as a Greek composer of electronic, progressive, ambient, jazz, pop rock, and orchestral music. Which is by no means a category.

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2015, 10:23

Like Vangelis, Mike makes music that spans across time and musical styles. In the old days when there were record stores, you were never quite sure where to go to to find their creations. I saw Mike's records being classified under Rock, New Age, Electronic, Instrumental, Classical, World Music, Film Music, etc. Guess the stores could not afford to have a standalone "Oldfield" category!
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2015, 04:54

Quote (qcfoetus @ Aug. 08 2015, 10:23)
Like Vangelis, Mike makes music that spans across time and musical styles. In the old days when there were record stores, you were never quite sure where to go to to find their creations. I saw Mike's records being classified under Rock, New Age, Electronic, Instrumental, Classical, World Music, Film Music, etc. Guess the stores could not afford to have a standalone "Oldfield" category!

Perhaps a musical genius category.

--------------
Profile PM 
Xylaquin Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2015, 05:26

I agree, not rock, but certainly seems to fall under progressive rock imo; (Just read Wikipedia's page on progressive rock and tell me TB doesn't match that)

When I came to categorising Ommadawn in iTunes I settled on "Folk Rock"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2015, 07:27

Maybe Progressive Music rather than 'rock'.

I notice a progressive rock chart has just been set up - I think this would have been better as just 'Progressive' by itself.

--------------
Profile PM 
8 replies since Aug. 05 2015, 13:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net